Monday, June 10, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


The Outbound Link Limit

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 08:35 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-10 at 10.51.25 AMOver the weekend I received several questions about affilate links on a lens and I want to clarify and explain what’s going on here. We, have a lens called About the limit on “overly promotional lenses” that explains things pretty good, but I want to take it a step further.

First, we’re doing this because the search engines have told us we must. The internet keeps changing, and the standards of the search engines drive many of the decisions that sites like ours (and thus our users, like you) have to make.

So what does this mean for lensmasters? Previous to March 2013 we “Greenlighted” our Giant Squids and gave them a “free pass” on the outbound link limit. We’re now to the point where we need to take a look at the entire site (Giants included) to determine which lenses are promoting too many links in a poor or junky way. So we’re doing a lot more hand reviewing and locking of lenses that are simply too over promotional. This does take time, but I can assure you we’re working triple time to make this happen.

The bottom line is that what worked 2 years ago, isn’t working today. A well curated lens about red kitchen appliances with very little content may very well need a makeover to meet the new standards.

The best thing that you can do right now is take a good hard look at your lenses and try to determine if you’re using too many links or being overly promotional. The reason we haven’t set hard fast rules for Giants is that we’ve seen really good lenses with a lot of links and poor lenses with just a few links. We try to offer guidelines, not commandments.

But…what we’re saying loud and clear is that all lensmasters need to make sure that their promotional lenses contain elements like…personal review and recommendation, storytelling, personal photos, unique perspective, humor, education, human interaction and creativity.

We don’t want to see…an account full of cookie-cutter lenses, lenses that scream…”Buy, Buy, Buy”, miles of ugly affiliate banners and buttons and sterile sales lenses.

As we say on this lens...That’s plenty of room for promotional goodness. In fact, infinite room for it. Just make sure that you’re bringing something to the table with every new lens you make. Consider it a challenge and an opportunity to create quality content on the web.

**Photo from clemmac on Flickr.

IMMINENT! My Superhero is…

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 05:15 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 8.02.01 PMThis week the Giants shared some spectacular Superhero lenses. I really enjoyed reading how a person, TV show or character had so much influence on their lives and I think you will too.

These Superhero lenses are truly unique so if you haven’t had a chance to create one I strongly encourage it. Just pick someone or something that had a great influence on your life. Easy and powerful! Then share it with the people YOU care about.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Schoolhouse Rock! : Teaching More than One Generation

1. Schoolhouse Rock! : Teaching More than One Generation

They continued to have these mini videos available for more than just one generation. That’s right, it has been over thirty years and I will still catch them on TV. These have not just been part of our video collection, I am finding them on the internet as…

Alton Brown Is My Hero

2. Alton Brown Is My Hero

I really love food and I love trying new things. I can watch cooking shows quite happily until I’m blue in the face, but there is one cooking show that stands out from all the rest as my absolute all time favorite and that’s Good Eats which was created and…

The Joy of Finding Love Later in Life

3. The Joy of Finding Love Later in Life

. and, well, he was younger. Much younger. 12 years younger to be exact. That’s right, I found love late in life with a younger man and am so much the better for it. I dated as a youngster and went through the traditional ‘I can’t live without him’ scenari…

Thriving with Type 1 Diabetes

4. Thriving with Type 1 Diabetes

My Superhero had me chasing down flying bunnies when she was nearly two years old. She loves playing with her favorite doll Jenny and she loves to pelt me with water balloons. My superhero is 4 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on April 29,…

David Attenborough | Naturalist and Broadcaster

5. David Attenborough | Naturalist and Broadcaster

Sir David Frederick Attenborough was born on 8th May 1926 and is best known the world over as an English writer, broadcaster and naturalist. Many of us are well used to hearing his gentle, authoritative voice which accompanies the numerous successful BBC w…

My Mom is my superhero

6. My Mom is my superhero

I was asked ‘who is your favorite Super Hero ? ‘ and I answered ‘I got few and most of superhero fictional character that I know is my favorite but only my Mom beats them all’. Every mother is the greatest superhero you can imagine from the day they took c…

Of One Accord Ministry

7. Of One Accord Ministry

When I was a little girl, I was always told to eat everything on my plate because there were starving children in China. You can substitute any foreign place where your parents knew you couldn’t check. Funny, they never said there were starving children in…

Three Super Heroes

8. Three Super Heroes

You’d never know that these three unassuming little ones would become super heroes. But from these very humble beginnings they each grew into strong, dependable, and resilient super heroes, each with a servant’s- heart. A hero is defined as someone who is…

Grandad my Superhero

9. Grandad my Superhero

My grandad is my hero, not because he was a bear hunter, most of us Finns are hunters, but he saved the baby bears. That picture is from a book , which tells about life after WWII around here. My grandad is in the middle, there is bearskin behind the men a…

The Legacy Of Lois Wilson

10. The Legacy Of Lois Wilson

Lois Wilson is not a name widely known unless you happen to be a member of or friend of the Alcoholics Anonymous program. She is the steadfast companion of Bill Wilson, founder, co- creator, and author of the AA program. In the years she experienced as the…

Vidal Sassoon: A Man In My Mirror

11. Vidal Sassoon: A Man In My Mirror

Vidal Sassoon was the man that stood over me while I cut hair. He inspired me, and I aspired to be like him. This legend is one of the pivotal people in my life. At 16 years of age I attended the Vidal Sassoon Academy of Advanced Hair Cutting and Styling i…

Alaskan Margie, Margie Culver, Hero to the Kid in Me

12. Alaskan Margie, Margie Culver, Hero to the Kid in Me

My mother was an authentic Alaskan Pioneer, born in a one- room cabin that her father had built on a barren Bering Sea coastal beach. He had been hired by the US government Bureau of Indian Affairs to teach Alaska Native children in a new settlement that w…

Search and Rescue Volunteers: Everyday Superheroes

13. Search and Rescue Volunteers: Everyday Superheroes

They don’t usually wear masks or bodysuits, but they will show up at any and all hours of the day or night, any day of the year and in all kinds of weather, to help. They might even have to scale a wall (or cliff) or fly. Whatever it takes to get the job d…

Growing Up With Spider-Man: The Day Gwen Stacy Died

14. Growing Up With Spider-Man: The Day Gwen Stacy Died

Spider- Man’s girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, died 40 years ago this summer, marking the end of one era in comic books and introducing a realism into the lives of superheroes that continues until today. Gwen’s death wasn’t the first to ever occur in a comic book,…

My Superhero - Mr Rogers

15. My Superhero – Mr Rogers

Superheros are strong. They fly in to distressing situations and save good people from disaster. In comic books they are strong on the outside – maybe they have a sword or some other sort of weapon to do their work. Mr Rogers was a little different. He did…

J K Rowling: Harry Potter Author - My Superhero

16. J K Rowling: Harry Potter Author – My Superhero

First, I fell in love with Harry Potter books – and the movies. And then I started paying attention to the woman who had written those books. Not just because her books rocked, but because of her very real rags to riches story. She had a dream, and went fo…

How To Make Sour Kryptonite Candy Crystals

17. How To Make Sour Kryptonite Candy Crystals

Invite some friends over for a Superman movie marathon or to catch up on a couple of seasons of Smallville and serve up some tasty sweet and Sour Kryptonite Candy Crystals. When Superman’s home planet, Krypton was destroyed, a deadly and radioactive substa…

Lens of the Day: Butchart Gardens: A Wonderful Place Open All Year

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 05:14 AM PDT

Editor for the Day: Casacicak

Posted: 09 Jun 2013 11:55 AM PDT

casacicakToday’s Editor for the Day, Casacicak, brings us the “Best Of British Seaside Resorts” via her favorite lenses.

As a Brit living abroad I love to read articles about home, and in particular the seaside resorts.

Wherever you are in the UK you are never too far away from the sea, and in this time of economic austerity more and more people are opting not to travel abroad for holidays, instead choosing a “staycation”

The pages featured below showcase the best of British coastal resorts, filled with personal anecdotes, recommendations and historical facts. There are top tips for interesting places to visit, reviews of places to stay and so much more

Whether you are British or want to visit Britain, I hope you enjoy your tour of the best of British seaside towns. ~Casacicak

 

Bournemouth Visitors Guide

1. Bournemouth Visitors Guide

The seaside town of Bournemouth is one of the most popular tourist destinations on the south coast of England. This Bournemouth Visitors Guide will hopefully answer any questions that you might have as to where Bournemouth is located, or what there is to d…

English Seaside Resorts by Train from London

2. English Seaside Resorts by Train from London

Luckily, there are some great seaside resorts and beaches to escape to from London, for just the day or a whole weekend. Most people head south, typically to Brighton, but there are many other places in almost all other directions. This page is about great…

England's Seaside Towns

3. England’s Seaside Towns

I loved a visit to the English seaside when I was a child in the 1950s. We always went to one of the seaside towns for our summer holidays. In those days only the very wealthy went out of the UK for holidays (vacations). After the schools closed for the su…

A Virtual Tour of Tywyn Beach

4. A Virtual Tour of Tywyn Beach

While many of my Canadian school friends would travel down to hot and sunny Florida for their summer vacation, my extremely British family and I would religiously travel to my grandmother’s cottage near Tywyn Beach in Wales. As anyone familiar with the UK…

Our Beach Has No Sand

5. Our Beach Has No Sand

I want to take you on a walk along our beach- without- sand and see all the reasons why I consider myself to be very lucky to live here beside it. It never fails to interest, amuse and refresh me. We can watch ships and boats, we can go beach combing, walk…

Visit Fife in Scotland

6. Visit Fife in Scotland

Tucked away on the east side of Scotland, just over the water from Edinburgh, is the Kingdom of Fife. This Scottish county is not the best known part of Scotland, but has so much to offer, from genuine Medieval castles to Cold War bunkers, and from golden…

Two Days In Brighton, England

7. Two Days In Brighton, England

Brighton is a wonderful classic English seaside town. Popular with holidaymakers and daytrippers from England, it is also a functioning town with a settled population, with lots of families. Some people commute to London each day, or for the week, spending…

Blackpool Hotels

8. Blackpool Hotels

Blackpool has been a traditional family resort since Victorian times. But while it keeps hold of its trams, tower and piers, it has also grown to become a modern resort with all the latest attractions and World class shows. and Blackpool hotels are some of…

Southampton

9. Southampton

Southampton is on the south coast of England in the county of Hampshire. You may know Southampton as the home to many great cruise ships including The Titanic, The QE2, The Queen Mary, The Oriana and many more besides. Southampton is a City with a populati…

Thank you Casacicak for taking us all to the beautiful seaside today.
http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/Casacicak

No comments:

Post a Comment