Monday, June 17, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


IMMINENT! The “Things That Are Yellow” Highlight Reel

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 05:44 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 8.43.08 PMThis week the Giant Squid were seeing the color yellow!

They created lenses about things that are yellow just in time for Summer. We had a bunch of fabulous submissions, here are 15 standouts.

We’re also giving  a $50 Amazon Gift Card for her lens Banana Cream Pie Popsicles so she can buy some more bananas and chocolate!

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

How Colorful Calendula Brightens My Gardens All Year Long1. How Colorful Calendula Brightens My Gardens All Year Long

Of all the plants in my gardens, calendula, also known as pot marigold, is the most reliable and easy to grow. Its cheerful yellow hues can be seen during most seasons of the year on the California Central Coast. Its edible flowers add beauty to salads, es…

My Sunflower Deck

2. My Sunflower Deck

Sunflowers are such a nice summer time flower. They are bright, yellow and cheery. They remind me of being out in the country; wild and free. They are one of my favorite flowers. If you can’t grow them in the ground you can certainly grow them in a big pot…

How to Make an Eggwich

3. How to Make an Eggwich

Years before the fast food chains had them on their menus my mom had the idea. Too late for the copy wrights but still worth the bragging rights. Yes its the ever popular Eggwich. That is here name and since she came up with it the name has stuck. I am jus…

My Marie Curie Cancer Care Charity Adventure

4. My Marie Curie Cancer Care Charity Adventure

I have written this page to share my experience of turning £50 into over £800 for charity in 50 days, so that others might expand on and learn from it. I believe that if I had a clue what I was doing at the time we could have easily doubled our profits,…

Pasta Bake - a sunny vegetarian dinner

5. Pasta Bake – a sunny vegetarian dinner

We call this our ‘sunny supper dish’ because of its lovely colors. It’s very easy to make and combines some of our favorite foods – cheese, eggs and pasta – to make a delicious dinner in no time. It takes only a few minutes to assemble this dish and then y…

Who Wants a Yellow Lab?

6. Who Wants a Yellow Lab?

As a mom or dad you may have heard the kids ask ‘Can we get one? ‘ in relation to a yellow labrador retriever. That does not surprise me because, according to several sources including Wikipedia, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular breed of dog! As…

Yellow summer in Spain

7. Yellow summer in Spain

When I walk on a Spanish market, I think I was in a time capsule and catapulted 40 years back. The market looks exactly the same as back then when I was on holiday with my parents. It’s nice. It’s cozy. I like it. I am in Spain a lot nowadays because m…

Banana slugs: Favorite creatures of Northern California’s redwood forests

8. Banana slugs: Favorite creatures of Northern California’s redwood forests

When I was seven to nine years old, encompassing most of my second grade year and all of third grade, I lived in Northern California. It was in places like Muir Woods National Monument that I became acquainted with my favorite gastropod, the banana slugs….

Make Healthier Popcorn with a Hot Air Popper

9. Make Healthier Popcorn with a Hot Air Popper

‘Hello, my name is Deb and I’m a ‘popcornholic. ” That’s exactly what I’d say if I could find a place, preferably on the beach, to rehabilitate me from overindulging in popcorn. I eat a great deal of popcorn and I was consuming a bit too much of Movie T…

How To Use Yellow In Your Home Decor

10. How To Use Yellow In Your Home Decor

I love making changes in my home decor by using color. Yellow is a beautiful color to work with in home decorating. One way of adding this color flavor to liven up a room is by simply using yellow accessories and accents which completely changes the look a…

Lemons Galore and Limoncello on Italy's Amalfi Coast

11. Lemons Galore and Limoncello on Italy’s Amalfi Coast

When I thought of Italy, I thought of pasta, olives, wine, and tomatoes – and occasionally something other than food. But then we arrived in Naples, met our driver to take us to our B&B in Amalfi, and what did we see? Lemons. No, not just a few trees h…

Flying Flowers

12. Flying Flowers

I am concentrating on yellow things found in nature: butterflies, birds, and wildflowers. There are yellow flowers, and then there are yellow flying flowers. Both birds and butterflies are flying flowers. Let a little sunshine into your day! Read on. Wait….

Five Reasons to Knit and Crochet with Yellow Yarn

13. Five Reasons to Knit and Crochet with Yellow Yarn

According to WikiAnswers, yellow ranks low on popular colors. Interestingly, white is the least popular color worldwide; for many cultures it is a color associated with death, while many other people probably connect white with clothing and home furnishing…

Banana Cream Pie Popsicles

14. Banana Cream Pie Popsicles

Cool off this summer with a sweet and refreshing homemade Banana Cream Pie Popsicle. One of my favorite desserts growing up was the simple, yet decadent banana cream pie my mom used to make from fresh bananas, instant pudding, Cool Whip and graham cracker…

My top 10 favorite yellow flowers

15. My top 10 favorite yellow flowers

Yellow flowers light up a garden and represent joy, new beginnings and friendship. A garden without the cheery yellow flowers is like a day without sunshine. Yellow flowers come in a range of shades from pale yellow, buttery yellow, to orangey- yellow. Mos…

Lens of the Day: Why I Chose the Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 05:25 AM PDT

10 Tips On Recommending Something You Love

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 04:17 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 5.47.01 PM

How often have you recommended something to a friend or relative? I’m sure the show of hands is pretty big. It’s fun to tell people about the things we love.

It’s no different on Squidoo. Sharing the things you love, in a way that adds value to the web can be very rewarding both personally and professionally.

Here are 10 tips for doing just that.

Be an authority on your topic.

This doesn’t mean that you have to be a professional. If you’ve been baking with CorningWare for the last 10 years that makes you an authority. Or if you’re a video game expert you certainly have the authority to recommend which games are hot this Summer.

The key is to share your authority. Make sure that you you’re telling people why you’re qualified to to write about your topic. MSchindel does an excellent job with this.

If you’re an amateur chef or gardener or home decorator share that information in a profesional way.

Tell a story with your words and your photos.

I found this blog post the other day and I wanted this dog coat, even though I don’t even own a dog! I was drawn in by her words…Oscar had “an embarassing sensitivity to wet feet, and disgust at any amount of precipitation blowing into his eyes” and the photos of Oscar donning his Obtrack.

The author spoke directly to her target audience, accurately described the product and achieved a human connection with her story.

Try something new.

It’s easy to get attached to a pattern of lensmaking. You get into a rhythm it works…or does it? Try sharing your lens with 5 friends outside of Squidoo and get some opinions and advice from a pool of people who might never have seen a lens. You might just get some valuable insight.

Concentrate on one product.

In my lens My Super Cool Retro 80′s Desk Phone I concentrated on just one product and it worked. This lens was created on June 11th and started getting Google traffic on June 14th.

Recommend a gift about something you know and love.

Squidoo has a really nice Gift Guide magazine called Celebrate. Recommend a gift about something that you care about. I love this lens: Little House on the Prairie Gifts by christy_rose. Christy shares her childhood love for the show and recommends products that she’s both owned or has the authority to talk about as a lifelong fan of the show. “I didn’t just like Laura Ingalls, I wanted to “be” Laura Ingalls.”

Solve a problem with a product.

Why I’m Getting Picky with Garbage Sticky: Garbage Bags Problems Exposed by MoonstoneWhipser made me smile 1) because I challenged someone to create a quality lens about garbage bags and she did an amazing job and 2) because I have the exact same problem as the author, my garbage tends to spill from cheap bags. She solved a problem for readers who need quality garbage bags. Bravo for creating an extraordinary lens about an ordinary product.

Use your own photos when you can.

Sure you can grab a stock Amazon photos but why do that when you can use your own? Check out How I Saved my Garden – Best Deer Deterrent Ever! by , she used her own photos to share her story and it works. This lens is fabulous!

Recommend a destination.

Exploring Zion National Park by  is personal, useful and includes a beautiful array  of photos from her trip. She even recommends the walking stick she used during her adventure.

Carve out a niche.

Over the years Treasures-By-Brenda has carved out a nice niche by reviewing and recommending DVD’s and Blu-Ray movies. AngryBaker shares her delectable dessert creations. BritFlorida has created a wonderful series of Vegetarian dishes. Find your niche, make it unique, go the distance to make it special.

Be real.

Humans can spot robotic lenses in a nano-second so it always amazes me when I see lenses that don’t have much human connection. I’ve found that the reason is not because they are poor writers or spammers but merely because it’s sometimes hard to find your personal voice on a product lens. Having worked in the theatre I often saw this problem with actors. The focus is so much on the material that’s it’s easy to forget the emotion.

So take a few minutes to find your mojo before you start a lens. Actors get into character, singers warm up, lensmasters can take a few minutes to find their voice. Make sure that you’re telling a story, sharing an experience and conveying the right balance of  knowledge, warmth and emotion.

Image Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment