Thursday, June 20, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Lens of the Day: Planting Butterfly Bushes: How To Grow Buddleia Plants

Posted: 20 Jun 2013 05:41 AM PDT

Giant Squids Get Personal

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 02:57 PM PDT

giantWe asked our Giant Squids to show off their talent by creating a new more personal type lens and boy did they ever deliver.

In today’s batch alone we have a bunch of truly helpful lenses  including one from a teacher sharing a lesson plan that they created, several from  home cooks sharing a favorite recipe, one from a beautician who gives us tips about applying gel nails, a couple from Squids who were kind enough to take us along on a fun adventure and more.

Visit each of the following to see some fine examples of lenses with personality built in.  Then, go ahead and share your uniqueness with the world by way of a new more personal lens.

 

Ten Reasons To Attend A Doctor Who Convention

1. Ten Reasons To Attend A Doctor Who Convention

If you are a Doctor Who fan surely you could name more than 10 reasons why you should want to attend a Doctor Who Convention. If you are not a Doctor Who fan, spoilers, I am am about to spill the beans on a 10 great reasons you might want to attend an awes…

My Wall Photo Jewelry Box

2. My Wall Photo Jewelry Box

Imagine having a two in one wall photo jewelry box. At a glance of this photo you’d never know you can open it. It looks like a collage photo frame but open it and there’s a place to hide your jewelry. This wall Armoire is a perfect for organizing your pho…

My Visit to Ocean Park Hong Kong

3. My Visit to Ocean Park Hong Kong

Ask any Hong Konger what place they’d recommend you to visit, and without a doubt, they would say ‘Ocean Park’. As the name implies, it’s all about the ocean. You’ll see different kinds of fish in huge aquariums and sea animals PLUS thrilling rides, restau…

Trees & Leaves Lesson

4. Trees & Leaves Lesson

Play a photosynthesis relay race, create an edible leaf structure, act out the parts of a tree, examine and classify tree leaves and use them to identify trees, and more in this fun, hands- on lesson on leaves and trees! This is part 3 of a 3 part hands- o…

Science Diet Dog Food Review

5. Science Diet Dog Food Review

If you are having trouble selecting a dog food brand for your favorite furry friend you should find out more about the Hill’s Pet Nutrition Company dog food products. This Science Diet dog food review is based on my own experience feeding the brand to my 1…

How to apply gel nails - a step by step turtorial

6. How to apply gel nails – a step by step turtorial

Do you have short, brittle or bitten nails and you do not know what to do? Do you want to have longer, stronger, french manicure or glamour nails, without visiting beauty salon every week? Well, here is your step by step turtorial on how to apply gel nails…

Grilling at Night? Use a Grill Light!

7. Grilling at Night? Use a Grill Light!

With these long summer days, sometimes we don’t get dinner started until late. In fact, we often end up grilling at night. A flashlight just isn’t a very satisfactory tool to help check the progress of the burgers, steak, or chicken. So now we use a grill…

Dutch Baby Pancakes

8. Dutch Baby Pancakes

The first time someone asked me if I would like to eat a Dutch Baby for breakfast, I said, ‘What? You eat babies here? ‘ Everyone roared with laughter, and patted me on the hand and said, ‘Just wait! ‘ Soon there was an amazing puffy pancake sitting in a c…

Why I love my Samsung Chromebook

9. Why I love my Samsung Chromebook

A couple of months ago, I’d never heard of a Chromebook, but having had one for a short time, I can’t imagine ever being without it. Now I’m not the kind of person who has to have the latest gadget. I proudly get by on the least amount of technology possib…

Best Baked Ziti Ever

10. Best Baked Ziti Ever

I wanted to share a very simple recipe that my teenagers will usually finish in one evening. The recipe is for baked ziti and it is something that I can make up ahead of time and it is just as good reheated as when it first comes out of the oven. So what i…

Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe with Cannellini Beans and Chicken Sausage — My New Favorite Lunch!

11. Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe with Cannellini Beans and Chicken Sausage — My New Favorite Lunch!

If you’ve read some of my other recipe articles, you know I love desserts! But I’ve also started paying more attention to my health and nutrition. I enjoy cooking, but at lunchtime I just want to grab something quick and easy but also tasty and healthy. I…

How To Create A Wine Bottle Fountain

12. How To Create A Wine Bottle Fountain

Wine bottle fountains really simple to make and can become the center of your garden. If you have a power source it’s as easy as drilling a hole and plugging it in. I took longer to think out how I wanted my fountain than it took to put it together and it…

July 4th, How to Plan a Party on a Budget

13. July 4th, How to Plan a Party on a Budget

On this page you will find ideas for planning a July 4th, Patriotic themed party while staying within a budget. These days money is tight for most people and sometimes you might decide not to have a party because it costs so much. Please don’t give up on…

New Video Module

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 11:58 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 12.51.09 PM

We’ve got a new Video Module to share with your today and it’s a really nice upgrade. This module combines the Youtube and Video modules into a single module and you’ll be able to search on Vimeo and YouTube. A single module will also be able to show a mix of Youtube and Vimeo videos in the same module.

To use the New Video Module just find videos by searching and then click the “Add” button to add your videos to “Your Selections” (see below). This module works the same as the Amazon editing experience which emphasizes searching, selecting and adding commentary.

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 1.17.20 PM

We did remove the “Let Youtube Pick” option, but it’s grandfathered in for the ones already in place.

The visual is pretty neat too. There’s a new carousel view for modules with multiple videos that’s very similar to the new Photo Module. When captions are added, they display next to the selected video.

We’ve also improved performance and loading times.

We hope you’ll try out this new module, we think you’ll love these improvements.

RocketSquids Salute their Superheroes

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 11:15 AM PDT

Last week’s assignment at RocketSquid University was for our students to make a lens about their superheroes. Not surprisingly, there wasn’t a duplicate topic in the batch. Everyone has their own idea about what constistutes a superhero and the RocketSquids are no different. Here’s the short list:

My Dad, My Superhero

1. My Dad, My Superhero

born October 14, 1926 – died March 12, 2007 My Dad taught me many things – one of many things I picked up on was how to properly procrastinate, which is why I’m writing this missive on the eve of Father’s Day. But along with that lesson, I learned when you…

My Superhero: Kristine Barnett

2. My Superhero: Kristine Barnett

Kristine Barnett is the mother of the ‘autistic’ child Jacob Barnett who is now compared to Einstein. When Jacob was diagnosed with severe autism she refused to believe her son won’t even be able to read and took him out of public education. Many people cr…

Celebrate Arbor Day

3. Celebrate Arbor Day

Arbor Day is a superhero in the world of holidays. Arbor Day celebrates the earth and promotes the conservation of our fragile planet. It is a day to plant trees in honor of future generations. The year is full of holidays and celebrations. We honor war ve…

How to access your Superhero self!

4. How to access your Superhero self!

When I saw this picture last year, the one that went viral, of the window washers dressed up as Superheroes at a Children’s Hospital, I was in awe! What a fantastic idea. It really took so little, to mean so much, to a precious group of people. I should me…

U.S. Sailors of Pearl Harbor

5. U.S. Sailors of Pearl Harbor

It was a beautiful Sunday morning on December 7,1941 the American Anthem was being played and the Flag was being raised. When planes started diving toward battleship row in Pearl Harbor and heading for the battleships California, Arizona, West Virginia, Ma…

Here’s the long list, all the featured lenses from this week’s challenge.

Have you made a lens about your superhero?

No comments:

Post a Comment