Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Lens of the Day: Does an Underwater Camera Bag Work?

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 05:28 AM PDT

Introducing hkhollands

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 04:57 AM PDT

Meet Heather, hkhollands on Squidoo. She’s barely been here a week, but already she’s an active participant in RocketSquids – and we’re very happy to have her.  You’ll learn lots more about her from her lenses, as well as our interview.

What brought you to Squidoo? First, I like to write. Second, I like to read good writing.

Third, one of my passions is helping my teenage students see themselves as writers. I believe that in order to be an effective teacher of writing, you should write yourself. During the school year, I become so involved in grading the papers of my 160+ students that I don’t set aside enough time for myself to write. I want to change that so I can share more of my current writing with them and talk about challenges I encountered and what I did to overcome them. It’s all part of the writing process. Maybe one day you’ll read lenses from my students on Squidoo. Some of them have more raw talent than I could ever imagine having myself.

Fourth, many years ago, I worked as a newspaper journalist. I miss coming up with ideas for features, doing the research, taking photographs, and adding my voice to the stories. Squidoo is a community where I can pursue all of these interests..

You’ve only been with us for a couple of weeks now, but you’re doing a great job with your lenses. Are you developing a list of future topics? Any hints for us on things to come? Am I developing a list? Well, let’s just say my mind is reeling through ideas as I shower, wash dishes, vacuum. Actually, I’ve been procrastinating a little too much on some of these chores while I keeping popping onto the Squidoo website to see what’s new.

As far as hints, I took a life changing trip with a group of Holocaust educators to Poland and Israel. I’d like to share that journey. Another idea I have is to feature a local ‘junkyard.’ It’s my favorite place to take family when they come to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to visit. Stay tuned to find out why.

What can Squidoo do for you? I stumbled upon Squidoo by accident, and it drew me in because of the unique lenses on the main page but also because I like the humor on the site. Even the name ‘Squidoo’ sparked my curiosity. After I created my first lens, I figured I would be the proverbial small fish lost in the big sea, but right away I started getting feedback and encouragement. It felt invigorating to know I could become a part of this supportive and diverse writing community.

The other day, I told my husband that I want to become a Big Squid when I grow up. That drew a quizzical look. It was fun — really fun — to create my first lens “Science ideas for teachers (or really cool parents),” but when I saw the little squid pop up in the upper right screen with +150 points after I received my first Big Squid like (thank you granny sage), well, let’s just say it was an adrenaline rush greater than I could have gotten with a double shot of espresso.

Seriously, though, the teacher in me likes to leave positive comments on people’s writing, especially when I am not doing that for students in the summer. I’m kind of shy in person, so leaving feedback is one way I know how to lift up others. It makes me feel good, too.

Editor for the Day: christy_rose: Summer Activities for Kids

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 11:30 AM PDT

christy_roseOur Editor for the Day, christy_rose has chosen a terrific and timely topic to spotlight.

Here’s what she had to say about the following lenses on Summer Activities for Kids.

The lenses I chose all feature fun and interesting summer activities for kids. Each lens includes excellent content, terrific photos and great product recommendations. These lenses really stood out because each one of them reflects the personality of the lensmaster.

All of these summer activity lenses are unique and have something special to offer readers. It is easy to see that each of the ten different lensmasters took the time to create a helpful lens for parents who are searching for ways to keep their children busy during the summer holidays. The lenses are entertaining, original and filled with top quality information. ~christy_rose

 

Summer Crafts for Kids

1. Summer Crafts for Kids

When boredom looms and the weather’s hot, get everyone involved in summer crafts for kids. Kids are always excited to be free from the school routine when they are let out for summer break, but it isn’t long until they start wondering what to do. These Sum…

Outdoor Crafts for Kids

2. Outdoor Crafts for Kids

Kids love the outdoors and when they see the outdoor craft ideas that I have gathered here, they’ll be busy for the whole summer. Some of the outdoor crafts that you’ll find in this article are made and then used in the form of outdoor games. Other outdoor…

How to Keep Kids Busy (and Cool!) This Summer

3. How to Keep Kids Busy (and Cool!) This Summer

It’s nearly summer time and parents everywhere are dreading the long, hot days of kids whining about being bored. I remember being that kid. I’m sure my sisters and I drove our poor mother insane as we complained. ‘There’s nothing to do! ‘ Her standard res…

Summer Projects To Keep Your Kids From Being Bored

4. Summer Projects To Keep Your Kids From Being Bored

Summer projects for kids and teenagers helps prevent this scenario. ‘Mom! I’m bored! ‘ Those dreaded words can be hard for a mom to hear especially during the Summer months. It is tempting to tell your kids to just go play. I have even told my daughters to…

Fun Summer Activities for Kids

5. Fun Summer Activities for Kids

Although, for some people, fun summer activities may signify going on vacation to some trendy holiday resort, tanning on a sunny beach or swimming in the ocean, for a great part of us, summer fun activities have another meaning. Actually, there’s a large p…

How To Roast Marshmallows Summer Fun For Kids

6. How To Roast Marshmallows Summer Fun For Kids

Roasting marshmallows is a great summer activity to do with kids. Aside from being a lot of fun and a great treat, marshmallow roasting can be an opportunity to teach kids fire safety and survival skills, as well as enjoy quality time away from TVs and com…

Summer Fun Crafts For Kids

7. Summer Fun Crafts For Kids

Summer Fun Crafts For Kids will provide you with some quick jump start ideas to make this a memorable summer. With lots of free time on your hands (or not) you can spark your creative engine with these tips. I have spotlighted several craft kits that are p…

Great Outdoor Games for Kids

8. Great Outdoor Games for Kids

When the weather is fine it means outside play time! Here are a number of classic and new outdoor games for kids that will provide hours of fun. Many of these games require minimal pieces of equipment. Children love to play games. That’s is how they learn…

Easy Summer Melted Art for Kids

9. Easy Summer Melted Art for Kids

It is ridiculously hot outside! Most places in the U. S. have been feeling the heat lately, kids everywhere want to run and play but wind up frustrated when they can’t because it is just too darn hot. Gazing longingly out of the window my son pleads with m…

Childrens Garden Tools

10. Childrens Garden Tools

With children’s garden tools you can keep your youngster active all summer as they work the soil and watch the flowers and vegetables grow before their eyes. We have a wide selection of child size tools to get them started. This will help them to grow up w…

All of the moms and dads out there who are facing the long hot summer say THANK YOU to christy_rose for featuring all of these lenses filled with GREAT ideas for keeping their children busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment