Monday, July 1, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Announcing the Winner of the Pop Culture Club Quest (and some of the runners up)

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 06:14 AM PDT

popcultureclubWe’re pleased as punch to announce that today’s Lens of the Day is also the winning lens from our Squidoo Pop Culture Club Quest.

Stop by Postwar Berlin-Spandau – Adventure, Danger & Friendship to see why lensmaster BritFlorida got so many votes from her fellow club members and walked away with the $25.00 Amazon.com gift card.

Our topic was “Every Picture Tells a Story” and it inspired many, many terrific lenses to be made.

Congratulations to BritFlorida and to all of the lensmasters who participated in the club quest.  Each and every one of you has a wonderful new lens as a result.

Visit the Quest lens to see them all.

Would you like to join us for the next round?  Stop by All About Squidoo Clubs to find out how.

Here’s a few of the runners up for your viewing pleasure:

 

The Nirvana Baby

1. The Nirvana Baby

‘Come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be. ‘ – these are lyrics from my favourite Nirvana album: Nevermind. The 90′s influenced my love of music, with grunge being at its core and in my opinion Nirvana was and still is the king of grunge! The musi…

My 1987 encounter with the real Ghostbusters car

2. My 1987 encounter with the real Ghostbusters car

I first saw Ghostbusters in 1985 when I was six years old. We recorded it off TV onto a VHS tape, and I probably watched it a few hundred times until finally Jurassic Park dethroned it as my favorite movie in 1993 when I was in junior high school. Maybe so…

Grandma's Grand Adventure

3. Grandma’s Grand Adventure

As children I know it is hard to think of grandparents as anything but grandparents. When I first saw a photo of my grandma looking young and beautiful in a floral dress and a stylish hairdo I’m not sure I believed who it was. It took many years for me to…

Pappaw in Belgium

4. Pappaw in Belgium

Even though there were dozens of old family albums lying about, there was always one weathered and slightly torn picture that struck my fancy as a child. My maternal grandparents had both grown up on farms in Appalachia in a time when most people had elect…

The Blues Brothers and Me

5. The Blues Brothers and Me

Many of the more interesting moments in my life have come after I said, ‘Hey, what if we. ‘ If my friends through the years had been more sensible and practical, they would have gagged me and thrown me in the trunk of a car as soon as they heard those word…

Nostalgic Roadside Neon Signs of the Southwest United States

6. Nostalgic Roadside Neon Signs of the Southwest United States

I grew up with signs. Although they were outside, they are very nostalgic to me. In my hometown in Ohio, I used to stand outside the theater marquee and watch the neon lights and flashing colors. I don’t remember many other neon signs other than that theat…

Nobody's Nana

7. Nobody’s Nana

My grandpa and his wife have been together for about 20 years now. They met in their rural community in California. Soon after they married they moved to Arizona (which is why I live here). After many years of community service and making friends, life cou…

Albert Vining in World War I

8. Albert Vining in World War I

The earnest young soldier in this photo is my great- uncle, Albert Vining. He served in France during World War I and this page is to honor his service to his country. Albert and his wife, Vina Vining had no children so when they died, their memorabilia pa…

My Grandma My Friend

9. My Grandma My Friend

Some would say my grandma was stolen from me when I was a tiny baby. You see, she had a stroke when she was in her 30′s. It was a brain aneurysm so bad they said she would never walk or talk again. A brain aneurysm is where blood swells in the vessels of t…

Hello July!

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 05:16 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 8.15.51 AMIt’s time to say goodbye to the first half of the year and welcome in the second half. Many of us will start July with a bang – fireworks and sparklers today for our Canadian friends (Happy Canada Day!) and on the 4th for those of us in the United States (Happy birthday, USA!). Why not celebrate with a new lens?

This month is the perfect time to update any lenses that you haven’t touched lately, dusting them off for the upcoming busy shopping season. People really do start thinking about – and shopping for – Christmas in July. Are your lenses ready? Look for some great information from HQ (coming soon) that will help you make your new product recommendation lenses even better.

Ready for some Halloween magic? We’re getting ready already and you should be, too. Watch this space for some great tips you can use, brought to you by some of the most talented lensmasters on Squidoo, also coming soon.

In the meantime, July certainly offers plenty of occasions that lend themselves perfectly to fun new lens ideas:

* Food is in the forefront during the month of July. It’s National Ice Cream Month, National Hot Dog Month, and National Blueberry Month, then chocolate, fried chicken, strawberry sundaes, tapioca pudding, and even caviar each has its own special day. We do love our recipe lenses around here!
* July 2nd is World UFO Day. Seen any? Got pictures or your own out-of-this-world stories?
* July 13th is Embrace Your Geekness day. Embrace yours, then make a lens about it!
* July 20th is Moon Day. Remember why? Where were you on July 20, 1969?
* July 24th is Cousins Day, followed on the 26th by Aunt and Uncle Day. Have a relative who needs a tribute?
* July 27th is Take Your Pants for a Walk Day. If that means something to you, we’d love to see your lens about it!

Most importantly this July, set some goals not only for the month but for the rest of the year. Formulate a strategy that includes both lensmaking and lens maintenance. Keep UUU (useful, unique, updated) in the forefront. Think quality over quantity. A few really good, up-to-date lenses with a personal touch and high-quality content should serve you well as the busy season unfolds. A plan, written down, will help you make that happen.

Don’t forget to have fun this month, too. Enjoy your family and the warm weather. Anyone have a summer vacation planned? Tell us about it!

Image Information

IMMINENT! Things That Melt Highlight Reel

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 05:14 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 7.32.52 PMThis past week was a hot one for most of the country so the Giants created lenses about “Things That Melt”. From ice cream to volcanos to crayons…these are some fabulous “melty” lenses.

poetvix also gets a $50 Amazon Gift Card for her lens Upcycling – Patriotic Kid Crafts – Melting Crayons to Learn About the American Melting Pot.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Low Fat Dairy-Free Srawberry Ice Cream

1. Low Fat Dairy-Free Srawberry Ice Cream

If you have an ice cream maker, then making your own ice cream is really easy! I have an intolerance to cow’s milk, and for years I have watched friends and relatives tucking in to ice creams and other desserts that I can’t share. Now I can make my own, he…

Melted cheese breadsticks - quick and easy lunch

2. Melted cheese breadsticks – quick and easy lunch

I like to make lunches and dinners that are quick and easy and it really doesn’t get much faster – or simpler – than this. It’s pure comfort food and has a touch of indulgence too as it uses butter (real, lovely, melted butter) and lots of gooey, luscious…

Melting Polar Ice: Global Warming or What?

3. Melting Polar Ice: Global Warming or What?

Our wonderful plant is over heating and the ice caps are melting, is this natural or not? Opinions on global warming are as diverse as ever, but we should listen more to the scientists than the politicians over this debate. Where do the politicians ever ge…

What is it Really Like to Live Near an Active Volcano?

4. What is it Really Like to Live Near an Active Volcano?

For the past twenty years, I’ve lived near the world’s most active volcano, Kilauea, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kilauea has been erupting for the last thirty years, which makes its eruption the longest lasting in history. Having played volcano tour guide…

Melt Them Down! Recycling Old Crayons

5. Melt Them Down! Recycling Old Crayons

Most everyone who has kids, has a pile of dirty old broken crayons lying around the house somewhere. They are in a coffee can in the basement or can be found in a gallon size ziploc at the bottom of the toy chest. Those old crayons are lurking somewhere in…

Pagan Hearts Melt For Statues

6. Pagan Hearts Melt For Statues

There is something about a statue of the right God/dess or whatever you call your beloved that makes a pagan’s heart melt. Sometimes of course you go overboard and buy several, but that is to be expected. Expecially when this month’s Squidoo profits were j…

How to Make Popsicles WITHOUT Molds

7. How to Make Popsicles WITHOUT Molds

If you’re like me and can’t afford, find or have room for fancy popsicle molds, you’ll be happy to find out that making frozen treats is easy using materials you already have at home. I’ve been making my own popsicles for years without a popsicle mold, and…

Washington's Mount Rainier and the threat of a volcanic eruption

8. Washington’s Mount Rainier and the threat of a volcanic eruption

The most massive stratovolcano of the Cascade Mountain Range in the Northwest United States is located in close proximity to the Seattle and Tacoma metropolitan areas. Summit to the edge of the city areas is only about 25 miles (40 km). Due to the potentia…

Photographing Michigan Waterfalls

9. Photographing Michigan Waterfalls

The Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan is known for large snowfalls. It is not unusual to have over 200 inches of snow in a season and the record snowfall stands at 390. 4 inches according to a sign we saw in the Keweenaw Peninsula. When all of this snow mel…

My Best Swiss Fondue Recipe

10. My Best Swiss Fondue Recipe

I had made my share of Swiss fondues with some disastrous meltdowns. A seemingly simple recipe of melted cheese in a pot of simmering wine with cornstarch, nutmeg and kirsch cannot possible go wrong, you may think. Overheating, cheese balling up and separa…

The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

11. The Grilled Cheese Sandwich

There was a popular television commercial a number of years ago about a little boy, ‘Mikey,’ who was a picky eater. Supposedly this little guy didn’t care too much for a number of food items, until one day when his brothers put a bowl of cereal in front of…

Things That Make A Heart Melt

12. Things That Make A Heart Melt

There are some things that consistently make my heart melt: Something as natural as babies giggling – watching their expressions when playing a game of peek- a- boo. When a man holds a baby for the first time. When your children, or grandchildren turn to y…

Meltin' Hot Ginger Tea is an Easy Delicious & Healthy Soother

13. Meltin’ Hot Ginger Tea is an Easy Delicious & Healthy Soother

I discovered this easy way to add ginger to my menu as click as boiling water and opening the sachet. Ginger is packed with nutritional benefits and this is the quickest way to make a delicious ginger tea. It’s refreshing to know that it’s sweetened with h…

The Most Amazing Thing Is A Volcanic Eruption of Melting Rock in Costa Rica and Hawaii

14. The Most Amazing Thing Is A Volcanic Eruption of Melting Rock in Costa Rica and Hawaii

A volcano eruption in Costa Rica or Hawaii is a truly mesmerizing, melting rock flows from high above slowly moving downward. I have had several opportunities to witness this phenomenon. As a science teacher with an understanding of how matter can change i…

I Love Cooking Things That Melt

15. I Love Cooking Things That Melt

I don’t have the foggiest idea why I like things that melt as much as I do. Most of the time all I hear is bad things about them. Cheese, for one, tops my list of things that melt that I love to cook with. Grilled cheese or pizzas loaded with cheese – to d…

Upcycling - Patriotic Kid Crafts - Melting Crayons to Learn About the American Melting Pot

16. Upcycling – Patriotic Kid Crafts – Melting Crayons to Learn About the American Melting Pot

Independence Day is coming, that most wonderful day that falls on July, 4th every year and has for over 200 of them. I love America. Not so long ago, being proud of being American was pretty much accepted as the norm in this country. Things have changed. S…

Making Homemade Italian Gelato in our Ice Cream Machine

17. Making Homemade Italian Gelato in our Ice Cream Machine

With our trip to Italy coming up, we decided to try some store- bought gelato here at home in Arizona beforehand, so we’d know what we had to look forward to overseas. What we sampled – a whole pint each, actually – was just as delicious as ice cream . but…

Making an Ancient Ice Cream for Cleopatra

18. Making an Ancient Ice Cream for Cleopatra

On a hot day there is nothing nicer than ice cream and what would we do without it, but could ice cream be made in Ancient Egypt? Sitting in a hot room in the midsummer heat led me to wonder more about ancient peoples and whether Tutankhamun or Cleopatra c…

Lens of the Day: Postwar Berlin-Spandau – Adventure, Danger & Friendship

Posted: 01 Jul 2013 05:13 AM PDT

The Giant Squids Are Leading The Way

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 03:35 PM PDT

giantOur Giant Squid lensmasters have been busy creating terrific example lenses to show off to the community.

We asked them to create a lens using our new more personal approach and we’ve gotten some stunning results.

Browse through today’s featured lenses to find everything from Lego building blocks for adults to a brand new made-up-by-the-lensmaster recipe for a unique macaroni and cheese dish and lots of other fun stuff.  You’ll notice these lenses are not only fun to read but they’re totally useful and user friendly.

Browse through to find the lenses you’d love to read.  We’re thinking you might end up reading them all so you might want to grab a cold one before you settle in.

Would you like to be a Giant Squid too one day?

Learn everything you need to know about our exclusive writing club by visiting The Giant Squid Club (and how you can join).

My Lego Creator 3 in 1 House Kit

1. My Lego Creator 3 in 1 House Kit

Blame it on my parents. I’d had Lego building sets as a kid, but I’d outgrown them, well, like at least 35 years ago. Then my younger son turned 6 and my parents bought him a Lego set for his birthday. He loved it (and so did I). It started out innocently…

Creating a Hello Kitty Bedroom

2. Creating a Hello Kitty Bedroom

Are you putting together a Hello Kitty bedroom for your child? Look no further for ideas, inspiration, bedding, furniture and accessories to help you achieve a fantastic room design! When my daughter moved from her small nursery room into a larger ‘big gir…

s4. Life Companion. Really?

3. s4. Life Companion. Really?

For the past year or so, I have been hobbling along with an increasingly dysfunctional dumb phone. My contract renewal date on our carrier came and went (a couple of years ago) and the hang up/power button on my trusty old phone just plain ol’ went. Althou…

Bread Stuffed with Macaroni & Cheese, Ham, & Broccoli

4. Bread Stuffed with Macaroni & Cheese, Ham, & Broccoli

I concocted this recipe on a whim. It was one of those days that groceries were running low, but I just didn’t feel like going to the grocery store. So I decided to get creative instead! I went rummaging through my cupboards and came up with the following…

Why You Should Take a Nature Walk with Your Kids

5. Why You Should Take a Nature Walk with Your Kids

In 1997, I started leading field trips and classes for Mass Audubon, a Massachusetts- based conservation organization. Many of the schools that brought kids to programs, wanted the kids to connect their classroom learning about life cycles, rocks, habitats…

Summer Camping in the Deep South

6. Summer Camping in the Deep South

There was a time in my life when I actually did go camping in the summer, and looked forward to it every year. Now, my son has started doing the same. I am really thankful he gets to experience the joy of camping, but I am having a hard time remembering wh…

Why I Love My Zoku Quick Pop Maker

7. Why I Love My Zoku Quick Pop Maker

I instantly fell in love with my Zoku Quick Pop Maker the day it arrived in the mail. My family has used it every single day since, usually multiple times over the course of the day. My kids were even making themselves yummy and good- for- you breakfast po…

I Recommend Asolo Waterproof Light Hiking Boots for Stability & Support of a Woman's Narrow Foot

8. I Recommend Asolo Waterproof Light Hiking Boots for Stability & Support of a Woman’s Narrow Foot

I bought my first hiking boots the day after I filed for divorce and now I’ve purchased my second pair designed for hiking. 25 years separate the two purchases. You’ve guessed it – I’m easy on my feet, and for a decade I didn’t do anything that even resemb…

Horses in my Life

9. Horses in my Life

Horses ~ Horses ~ Horses All my life I have loved horses, from the first time seeing a statue of a man on a horse at Gross Stein Castle. When we lived in Southern Germany I helped our neighbor hitching his horse Klaura to the hay wagon, this at 7 years old…

No comments:

Post a Comment