Saturday, July 20, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Lens of the Day: Books For Summer Reading

Posted: 20 Jul 2013 07:15 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-07-20 at 10.12.45 AMI don’t know about where you are right now but the weather here is really starting to hot up. Perfect weather for relaxing with a long drink of something cold and a good book. I love to re-read some of my favourite books on hot days like this as I feel I can really relax into them as I know them so well, like chatting to a good friend.

Want to join the Squidoo Beta Group?

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 03:34 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 6.32.39 PMFrom time to time, before we release new features or bug fixes or other improvements, we need extra help and extra sets of eyeballs to make sure things are working correctly. We’re enormously grateful to lensmasters who are willing to volunteer a few minutes here and there to help us make Squidoo feature releases smooth and as bug-free as possible!

We’ve got a new project coming up soon so do sign up if you’re interested in testing.

Just fill out this form: https://squidoo.wufoo.com/forms/want-to-join-the-beta-group/ to join.

Editor for the Day: Wordstock celebrates Family History

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 12:49 PM PDT

wordstockResearching family history is no longer a passion; it is how I spend much of my time. Not only did I find my husband's missing siblings, I am the family historian and do the research for other family members. I am gathering documents for the Mayflower Society and tracking down tribal connections.

I consider myself an expert but have to admit that I have some favorite go-to lenses for inspiration and helpful hints. Without these people, who spent time sharing their knowledge, it would have taken me longer to understand all the facets of genealogy and family history.

Genealogy is addicting and is a continual learning process. New to genealogy and family history or an expert, there is still a lot to learn from these lensmasters. ~wordstock

 

The Best True-Life Family History Stories

1. The Best True-Life Family History Stories

So many of us are discovering the thrill of researching our ancestors. I’m yet to meet anyone who didn’t have a fantastic family history story or two to share. Some have even turned their years of genealogical research into published books….

Writing Triggers for Family Memories

2. Writing Triggers for Family Memories

Your memories of childhood may have receded, but with a little prompting they come to the surface again. Writing down these memories creates a wonderful legacy to leave your children and grandchildren. For the past two years, I’ve belonged to a family memo…

How Do I Start My Family Tree?

3. How Do I Start My Family Tree?

The big picture – It is important to start your family tree information with yourself because it can be added to in an organized manner from there and it is the information that you know the best. Next add your Father and Mother and then if you can add you…

Organizing Your Boxes of Family History Keepsakes

4. Organizing Your Boxes of Family History Keepsakes

The easiest way to organize that pile of family history photos and documents is into scrapbook binders. I’m not talking about the creative fancy scrapbooks that are a popular hobby right now. I’m just talking about a simple way to chronologically file and…

Genealogy Blogs I Recommend

5. Genealogy Blogs I Recommend

Once you get started researching your family tree, you become a genealogy buff. It’s an all- consuming process. There is so much information out there and so many people telling you how to do a family search, that it becomes overwhelming. To help you sort…

Crash Course in Genealogy/Family History: Read GeneaBloggers

6. Crash Course in Genealogy/Family History: Read GeneaBloggers

This lens will lead you to the GeneaBloggers community site, created by Thomas MacEntee, with over 2000 genealogy related bloggers talking about interesting and useful activities EVERY DAY. You can focus on WHAT you want to know, HOW to do it, and WHAT COM…

How to Write Your Personal History

7. How to Write Your Personal History

A personal history is one of the most important gifts we can leave our children and grandchildren. Telling your story allows your grandchildren and even your great- great- great grandchildren a glimpse into your life. Write your history! One of the items I…

Tracing My Family History

8. Tracing My Family History

I am on a journey to trace family history. What was it like to grow up in the 1880′s in Missouri? My grandmother grew up in a rural society on a farm. Louisa Katherine’s story begins on July 7, 1884. She was the first daughter to Armand Jacob Scherer and P…

Addicted to Genealogy

9. Addicted to Genealogy

I began working on my family tree over 20 years ago. At the time, I knew next to nothing about my ancestry. But, I have always had a love for history and a desire to know more about my people. Now, I’ve got a family tree with many branches and many leaves….

Genealogy is where your life story begins.

10. Genealogy is where your life story begins.

Genealogy is the study of one’s personal family history and lineage. In reality, it’s much more than that. It’s the place of self- discovery. Your family history is important whether that history is good, bad, or seemingly insignificant. Your life is the c…

Thank you wordstock for sharing your favorite “go to” lenses. Great choices!

Our RocketSquids Are Readers!

Posted: 19 Jul 2013 11:13 AM PDT

Not surprisingly, many of Squidoo’s best writers are readers, and that goes for the RocketSquids, too. Last week’s challenge was to write a book review lens and, as usual, our young squids came through the assignment with flying colors. Start with a few that we’ve listed below, but don’t miss the rest of their reviews right here. Happy reading!

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

1. Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

I practically devoured the last two books by Kristin Cashore, ‘Graceling’ and ‘Fire’, so when I discovered on Amazon that there was a book called ‘Bitterblue’ by the same author due out at some point, it went straight onto my wish list. Though it probably…

The Metaphysical Club

2. The Metaphysical Club

I will review Louis Menard’s book, ‘The Metaphysical Club’ and discuss its influence on me. Few discussion groups have been as influential as has been a small and informal group that began meeting around the time of the Civil War. When Oliver Wendell Holme…

Books For Summer Reading

3. Books For Summer Reading

I don’t know about where you are right now but the weather here is really starting to hot up. Perfect weather for relaxing with a long drink of something cold and a good book. I love to re- read some of my favourite books on hot days like this as I feel I…

A book review: Can I Get a Do Over?

4. A book review: Can I Get a Do Over?

Last summer I ordered a book from Amazon written by Rick Domeier. The name of the book is, Can I Get a Do Over. What caught my attention about this book were the reviews. Since the reviews were very positive, I took a chance and ordered the book. If you wa…

Writing the Right Way with The Chicago Manual of Style

5. Writing the Right Way with The Chicago Manual of Style

First published in 1906, The Chicago Manual of Style remains a trusted resource for writers, editors, print publishers and, since the turn of the 21st century, web publishers. Every writer grabs their favorite reference books when they want to hone their c…

No comments:

Post a Comment