Monday, August 12, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


IMMINENT! “Things That Are Tiny” Highlight Reel

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 05:53 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-12 at 8.52.46 AMThis week the Giant Squids went “micro” and created lenses about things that are small. While the subjects of these lenses may be tiny their content is huge! Enjoy.

Not only did these lenses win a ticket in the IMMINENT! raffle but we also added a bunch to the Squidoo home page.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit: Mini Donuts: Sweet, Tiny Bites of Love

Why Small Things Make a Big Difference at Dyson

1. Why Small Things Make a Big Difference at Dyson

Dyson vacuum cleaners first caught my attention several years ago when I was researching reliable and sustainable asthma management solutions. As mentioned in an earlier article, I’d just replaced awful floor coverings with wonderful strand- woven bamboo b…

The Magnificent Ladybug & Her Astounding Contribution

2. The Magnificent Ladybug & Her Astounding Contribution

What makes this tiny, colorful beetle so valuable? Even though I did not really understand what ladybugs did to contribute so enormously in their unseen world that was very tiny and invisible to the eye of most humans, I was taught at a very young age that…

Willard Wigan's Amazing Micro Sculpture

3. Willard Wigan’s Amazing Micro Sculpture

Some years ago, I remember a friend telling me about an interview she had had with her son’s teacher. She was told that her son would never amount to much. The boy in question was 6 years old, and was finding reading a little more difficult than others i…

Teensy Weensy

4. Teensy Weensy

I love tiny things! I spend a lot of time out in nature, looking at things, and I always pay attention to the details, and the little things. I am sharing a little bit of my collection with you. I have a VAST collection. How about that! A huge collection o…

Makeover Your Dollhouse with Miniature Halloween Decorations

5. Makeover Your Dollhouse with Miniature Halloween Decorations

Give your dollhouse a spooktacular makeover this Halloween with cute miniature Halloween decorations. You will be amazed by all the miniature Halloween decorations you can get for your dollhouse; including tombstones, wreaths, and cakes. I know I was surpr…

Four Tiny Toys of the 1960s

6. Four Tiny Toys of the 1960s

By necessity, toys are small. For millennia humans have been crafting toys made to represent the adult world reduced to fit in the hands of a child. Miniaturizing is nothing new. However there was a time when only the rich could afford tiny hand- crafted n…

Life on a Tiny Island

7. Life on a Tiny Island

Small towns have a reputation for being boring and slow, but I live in a small, rural town in a tiny little island and love many things about it. Which is lucky, because being surrounded by the ocean on all sides means I have nowhere to drive to when I get…

Wee Little School Girl Doll

8. Wee Little School Girl Doll

Once upon a time, there was a big beautiful house on a busy city street.  It was such an old fancy house that it had two staircases. One sweeping, grandly curved stairway near the entrance and one dark, narrow staircase on the other side that lead to the…

Mini Donuts: Sweet, Tiny Bites of Love

9. Mini Donuts: Sweet, Tiny Bites of Love

I love donuts. Here in Guatemala, it’s almost impossible to find a decent donut, so I started looking at recipes online. All the baked donut recipes required molds though. I didn’t have access to one, so I ended up not making any donuts. So sad. Then, one…

Tiny Fairy Dolls and a Village Craft

10. Tiny Fairy Dolls and a Village Craft

Making tiny fairy dolls can be addictive. You make one and before you know it you have enough little fairies to fill a village. Anyway that’s what happened to me when I started making these tiny fairy dolls. And everyone knows that fairies live in tiny c…

My awesome pet Egyptian tortoise

11. My awesome pet Egyptian tortoise

The second- smallest tortoise species worldwide, native to Northern Africa, makes a great and very- easy- to- care- for pet. However, they are uncommon and fewer than 1,000 are estimated to exist in the wild. Extinction in the wild is sadly a certainty at…

Halloween In A Tea Cup

12. Halloween In A Tea Cup

What does a Crafter do with with a set of tea cups that are given to you as a gift? By now I have more than my fair share of tea cups, but these black cups caught my eye from the moment they were offered to me. I was going to create Halloween scenes in the…

My Best Leatherman Multi Tool Review

13. My Best Leatherman Multi Tool Review

Lately there has been a shift from single use folding pocket knives to a folding multi- tool kit that one can carry in a sheath. I have a Leatherman Wave multi- tool and since I first received it I don’t think I’ve gone a day without pulling it out for som…

Make a Tiny Haunted Village with Graveyard - Upcycle Crafting Demo Using Boxes and Scraps

14. Make a Tiny Haunted Village with Graveyard – Upcycle Crafting Demo Using Boxes and Scraps

I was thinking it would be fun for Halloween to do a tiny haunted town project. Is there any town in America that doesn’t come complete with a history of at least one haunting? Being blessed, I was born in the south and grew up on tales of hauntings both p…

A HomeStar Review: The Tiny GPS That Can Be a Big Help

15. A HomeStar Review: The Tiny GPS That Can Be a Big Help

Have you ever returned from a vacation and forgotten where in that vast airport parking lot you left your car? Or maybe you’ve set up your tent, headed for the lake for some fishing, then gotten yourself a bit ‘misplaced’ on the way back to camp? Those are…

20 Tiny Garden People

16. 20 Tiny Garden People

Tiny People, or rather call them Garden Gnomes. you either love them or you hate them and this article is especially written for those who love to have some of those little gnomes in their garden. I don’t have gnomes in my garden, but that doesn’t mean I h…

Tiny Little Creatures

17. Tiny Little Creatures

This is my newest lens which is about things that are tiny. There are so many things that are tiny, but the first that came to my mind when I decided to take on this SquidQuest challenge were these tiny little creatures called Foraminifera (also known as f…

Recycled Miniatures: A Little Something From Next to Nothing

18. Recycled Miniatures: A Little Something From Next to Nothing

When I was little, I didn’t necessarily make a lot of miniatures. I appropriated them. I observed that rectangular magnets removed from the refrigerator and turned onto their underside looked like pans of brownies. Domed pencil sharpeners could make a pass…

A Tiny Bit of Apricots and Ginger Makes Winter Sunshine in a Jam Jar

19. A Tiny Bit of Apricots and Ginger Makes Winter Sunshine in a Jam Jar

I often have a tiny amount of fresh fruits, perfectly ripe at the same time, calling for me to make some small special thing. Today I had five ripe apricots ready to eat and I heard the memory of sunny apricot jam spreading on a Winter scone or inside my h…

Our Retina (a tiny part of brain tissue)

20. Our Retina (a tiny part of brain tissue)

The retina is only about 1/2 a millimeter thick. I clearly recall labeling it on diagrams in high school biology class and being taught that it’s ‘like film in a camera. ‘ It wasn’t until my college days that I learned the retina is the most complex tissue…

Thumbelina: A Tiny Girl in a Big World

21. Thumbelina: A Tiny Girl in a Big World

Imagine being so tiny that a bird could swoop you up and take you far, far away. Now imagine that your physical appearance is so breathtakingly beautiful that it inspires a mother toad to snatch you away from your home to marry her son. Or it provokes an o…

Tiny Books With Big Stories

22. Tiny Books With Big Stories

Why would someone want a tiny or miniature book? Well, there are several reasons. they slide into pockets weightlessly, they fit nicely into a purse so you have something to read while waiting at the doctor’s office, they look cute and they also fit a chil…

Use Giant Microbes to Teach Hand Washing to Children

23. Use Giant Microbes to Teach Hand Washing to Children

Teaching children about the importance of hand washing for preventing colds can be challenging, when you are trying to talk about those nasty, disgusting, but very invisible germs. Finding ways to make those invisible germs ‘visible’ can help in teaching c…

Collecting Miniature Typewriters

24. Collecting Miniature Typewriters

My sister started years ago searching out little typewriters. They are a fun collection, just right for a writer. She writes poetry and children’s stories. Her writing room is filled with bookshelves overflowing with books. On many of the shelves you’ll se…

Welcome Halloween With Tiny Decorations

25. Welcome Halloween With Tiny Decorations

Halloween is so special and to make it a memorable one, a party must be organized on that day. When we talk about party, the thoughts that arise are of awesome decorations, having lots of fun, playing games and dressing ourselves in costumes which we can w…

Prebiotics vs Probiotics - Differences and Definition

26. Prebiotics vs Probiotics – Differences and Definition

Probiotics are microorganisms in a symbiotic relationship with humans, and prebiotics are the food for the microorganisms. In order to benefit from prebiotics, we need to nourish them, with food to allow the proper growth of their colony, without the prope…

DIY Halloween Push Pins

27. DIY Halloween Push Pins

When it comes to decorating a home, office or classroom for Halloween, it’s all the little details that count! When October 1st arrives, I love to go all out and decorate the inside of our house, do fun Halloween crafts with the kids and make silly and gho…

Live Large, Dwell Small

28. Live Large, Dwell Small

I am in the process of tiny- sizing my life and have never lived larger. One day I just said, ‘Enough is enough. ‘ And, actually, I’ve since found out that enough is more than that. Going tiny became my mission the day I asked myself this: What is essentia…

Lens of the Day: How To Grow Cherry Tomatoes In Desert Climates

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 05:31 AM PDT

Lens of the Day: Mini Donuts: Sweet, Tiny Bites of Love

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:39 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-11 at 2.37.01 PMI love donuts. Here in Guatemala, it’s almost impossible to find a decent donut, so I started looking at recipes online. All the baked donut recipes required molds though. I didn’t have access to one, so I ended up not making any donuts. So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment