Monday, August 5, 2013

Squidoo HQ

SquidooHQ

Squidoo HQ


Congratulations to the Winner of our July Food Club Quest!

Posted: 05 Aug 2013 09:00 AM PDT

foodclub logoCongratulations to lensmaster FLtraveler for creating the winning lens in our most recent Squidoo Food Club Quest challenge. Stop by Nothing Says Summer Like A Slice Of Juicy Watermelon (now being featured as Lens of the Day) to see the lens that received the most votes and to congratulate FLtraveler.

And do stop by the Quest lens to see all of the July entries.

There’s a ton of yummy lenses there that are all worthy of a visit by you.

Here’s 10 of the runners up lenses to get you started.

 

Black currant ice cream

1. Black currant ice cream

Making ice cream without an ice cream maker is really simple, it does not require any magic tricks. The key thing is to use right kind of sugar and that is it. I tested ice cream maker few years ago, but I wanted to know is it possible to make ice cream th…

 

 

broccoli2. Broccoli Slaw Salad With Olive Oil Red Wine Vinegar DressingSalads are always on the menu at my house as all of us enjoy them. One of my favorite things to do when it comes to cooking is to creative food that I know everyone will like. Broccoli slaw is not only healthy but can be used to accompany just about any ty…

Cooking with my Cousin

3. Cooking with my Cousin

Some of my biggest regrets in life surround never learning how to cook with my mom before she passed (see here for that story. ). I spent many years thinking that I was never going to have an opportunity to share my mama’s recipes with my future husband,…

Finger Lickin Ribs Recipe

4. Finger Lickin Ribs Recipe

I don’t know about you but one of the best things that I like to grill on the barbeque are ribs. There is a satisfaction of watching the long strips of bone and meat get smoked, coated in sauce and the slowly cooked to a gooey sweet morsel. What makes or b…

Grilled Vegetables in a Yorkshire Pudding Bowl with Balsamic Reduction

5. Grilled Vegetables in a Yorkshire Pudding Bowl with Balsamic Reduction

Have you ever combined three of your favorite foods and discovered that combination results in a phenomenal recipe? That’s what happened when I combined three of my favorites – grilled vegetables, Yorkshire pudding, and a balsamic vinegar reduction. The sm…

Homemade Nutella Ice Cream Temptation

6. Homemade Nutella Ice Cream Temptation

Today it is expected to be a hot day with the temperature climbing up to 40 degrees! Because I am not in a beach to cool off, I chose to make ice cream! In a few easy ingredients we can make a delicious nutella ice cream, while all your friends will be won…

How to make pickles - Japanese Style

7. How to make pickles – Japanese Style

In America, it’s called a pickle and in the UK, it’s called the gherkin. Whatever it’s called, pickles are a favorite among many people. I remember many years ago during a trip to Walt Disney World, I saw a food vendor selling whole pickles to munch on. I…

Simple Cheesecake Recipe

8. Simple Cheesecake Recipe

July 30, 2014 is National Cheesecake Day! What a cool thing to celebrate, right? That smooth cheesy goodness in a pan that is the perfect dessert! I love cheesecake and long ago perfected my own little quick easy cheesecake recipe by experimenting quite a…

Pecan and Parmesan Cheese Encrusted Tilapia With Hot And Spicy Mango Chutney

9. Pecan and Parmesan Cheese Encrusted Tilapia With Hot And Spicy Mango Chutney

Tilapia is a mild flaky white fish that does not over whelm a dish. If it has a heavy fishy taste then something isn’t right. It’s my family’s favorite fish and they look forward to every time I cook it. Our favorite way is pecan and Parmesan cheese encrus…

Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe

10. Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins Recipe

The wonderful tart sweetness of raspberries sits well with the cool smoothness of cream cheese, and they both love spending time with a soft, crumbly, not- too- sweet muffin. It’s taken me a while to develop this easy to bake recipe, I’ve been trying to re…

Thank you to all who participated either by sending us a delicious new lens or by taking the time to visit and vote. We couldn’t do this without you. Would you like to participate in the next quest? Visit All About Squidoo Clubs to learn how you can join the Squidoo Food Club or any of our other fun clubs.

Why Participate In The IMMINENT! Quest Challenges? by lensmaster OhMe

Posted: 05 Aug 2013 06:33 AM PDT

ohmeEvery Monday morning I look to see what the topic is going to be for the Week's Imminent Challenge. A couple of things always determines for me if I will participate or not. I like to be challenged and can always use the motivation but two things have to happen:
Timing: The timing has to be just right for me to participate. It depends on what else is going on in my life at the time. It could be a week that is filled with obligations and I just can't handle one more thing.
Topic: The topic has to strike a nerve with me. The topic could be something that I have been meaning to write about or something that I never thought about but when I read the topic, my mind starts spinning.

When these two things come together, I get busy. Of course, I love it when my entry makes the reel and/or receives a Purple Star but that doesn't always happen. After reading some of the lenses that did make the reel, I usually go back to mine and find ways to make it better. I am disappointed for a short while and then it isn't long before I am anxious to see what the next week will bring. What's the new topic? Do I have time to create a worthy lens? Here is how it played out for a couple of my IMMINENT! entries:

I had thought about writing a lens about Jane Edna Hunter for some time and then one day in May of this year I noticed an IMMINENT! Quest Challenge about Staycations or anything to do locally. I thought this would be perfect so I got busy and pulled together the information and photos that I already had and called a friend who met me on the square of Pendleton SC with a print out of a power point presentation by Dr. Rhondda Thomas of Clemson University. She also gave me Dr. Thomas's email address. I emailed her and explained what I was doing and even though she was out of the country, she provided me with more pictures and information. You see, my friend and Dr. Thomas have been working very hard to bring awareness to the life of Jane Edna Hunter who was born and raised in our little historic town of Pendleton SC. There is even a class at nearby Clemson University who are working on a full length documentary. If you have never heard of Jane Edna Hunter, you are not alone but it is a story that we feel very strongly needs to be told. Her name is probably more well known in the Cleveland, Ohio area but we hope to change that and make sure that everyone in the Pendleton Area is aware of this amazing woman's life and what she accomplished. The Pendleton Historic Foundation has erected a replica of the slave cabin where Jane was born. Her father was a former slave and she was raised living on the historic Woodburn Plantation in this cabin. You will have to read my lens to learn more but I will tell you that through her strength, determination and faith, she went on to earn her nursing degree, her law degree, founded the Phillis Wheatley Association and the Phillis Wheatley Foundation which awards scholarships to women in Ohio and SC. Oh, and she was a Millionaire and wrote her autobiography.

I enjoyed having the opportunity to tell her story and while I was working on it, I read her autobiography and became even more determined to help in any way I could to spread the word about Jane and her life's work. I appreciate having Squidoo for a platform to do just that. I worked on this lens every day for the week of the challenge and was disappointed when it didn't make the reel or receive a Purple Star but I am proud of it just the same.

Here’s the lens: Jane Edna Hunter

Another week, the topic was "Oddities" and it was the week after the creek behind our house had flooded and destroyed our swimming pool. Besides being too busy with major clean up, I just didn't have it in my heart to write about this horrible experience so I skipped that week. Also, I sure didn't want anyone to think that I was complaining about losing something so materialistic as a swimming pool when people had lost their homes, valuables and more during similar freak floods. I knew that I had to write it so the reader would understand that our pool was valued because of the memories it held. Lo and Behold, the next week's topic was "Water". Was someone trying to tell me something? I figured I better get it over with and tell our story. I was so pleased when this one made the reel, received a Purple Star.

Here’s the lens: Good Bye, Swimming Pool!

So, you see, by accepting the challenges I created lenses that I am proud of and needed this motivation to get them done. In the end, it didn't matter that much about the awards but rather that I had accomplished what I set out to do and have a lens to prove it. I don't think I have ever regretted taking the IMMINENT! Quest Challenge. If you are not participating in them, or any of Squidoo’s other quests, you might want to try it one week. That is another good thing about them. You don't have to do it unless you don't want to.  ~OhMe

IMMINENT! Halloween Highlight Reel

Posted: 05 Aug 2013 05:56 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 8.53.11 AMGhost and goblins and pumpkins oh my! It’s Halloween season here on Squidoo and we’re super excited. Our Giant Squids created some stellar Halloween lenses this week to get you in the mood for the upcoming holiday. So be sure to try your own Halloween lens and enter our Halloween Cupcake Challenge.

BONUS! Comfortdoc and sandyspider also win a Yankee Candle Pumpkin Pie Large Jar Candle.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

PS – Our Happy Halloween Magazine is officially launched for the 2013 season!

Pacific Rim Mako Mori Costume

1. Pacific Rim Mako Mori Costume

Have you make up your mind about Halloween costume for this year? I myself already filter out those cute and funny costumes. Instead, I want to dress up as brave lady who are great in fighting to protect herself. There are numerous options available in mar…

My Halloween Dream

2. My Halloween Dream

I honestly must tell you that Halloween has never been a part of my life. As far as I know and can remember Halloween was not celebrated in my country, The Netherlands. It’s only recently that the celebration blew over from the States, but where I live, I’…

Kaylee Halloween Costume

3. Kaylee Halloween Costume

She is known for being bright, enthusiastic, kind, and bubbly while also being brilliant at mechanics. She keeps the spaceship Serenity flying and she does so with the brightest smile anyone’s ever seen. From the Pilot episode of Firefly: Jayne: Captain, c…

COSTUME IDEAS FOR HORSE AND RIDER

4. COSTUME IDEAS FOR HORSE AND RIDER

I, like many people, have a hard time trying to decide what to were to costume parties and special events. Can you imagine needing coordinating outfit for your horse. It’s actually a very common thing. I know from riding for many years that there have been…

Make Cute Witch Hat Barrettes For Halloween

5. Make Cute Witch Hat Barrettes For Halloween

The tutorial that I’ve outlined in this page will yield one adorable witch hat hair clip that is 2 inches high and 2. 5 inches across. The pattern I have provided is very easy to adapt for a larger size and the creative embellishment possibilities are endl…

Haunted Tree Movies and Costumes

6. Haunted Tree Movies and Costumes

How many movies have you watched where the trees are haunted? Have you thought of wearing a haunted tree costume for Halloween? There is a fascination with trees. Many movies and cartoons are made where the trees become alive. The majority of the time the…

The Witches Ball

7. The Witches Ball

I attended the 21st Annual Witches’ Ball in Denver in November 2012 and many of the photos in this lens came from that event. Of course, there will be a 22rd Annual Witches held for this year’s celebration of the Day of the Dead and Samhain. This is a…

Halloween Dog Collar

8. Halloween Dog Collar

If you just can’t convince your dog to put on a costume for Halloween, maybe this Halloween Dog Collar will do the trick. It will be no fuss and no bother but your dog will still feel dressed for the season and this dog collar is Made in the USA which make…

Friendly Happy Halloween Yard Decorations

9. Friendly Happy Halloween Yard Decorations

For some people Halloween is all about the scary, for others, the gory, but for many people it’s about enjoying the season, celebrating with seasonally themed decorations that cheer up the neighborhood rather than terrifying it. Whether you have young chil…

Halloween Costumes Made with Balloons

10. Halloween Costumes Made with Balloons

Balloons are for Birthday Parties, for sure, but balloons at Halloween? Absolutely! Not only are they great for decoration, balloons can inspire some of the most imaginative and not to mention, affordable costumes. Everyone knows that the best Halloween co…

Milk Jug Craft Jack-O-Lantern

11. Milk Jug Craft Jack-O-Lantern

These spooky Jack- O- Lanterns are cheap and simple to make. Easy enough for kids to do, they’d be a fun group project for a classroom or a scout troop. Kids can make up their own funny, or scary faces. They’d make great decorations for a Halloween party,…

Not So Wicked Witch Costumes for Women

12. Not So Wicked Witch Costumes for Women

Witch costumes are one of the most popular Halloween costumes for women. Although wicked witches are part of the Halloween tradition, some women would rather wear a cute witch outfit. If you want to be a happy, good witch then consider wearing a colorful w…

Oooo, Pumpkin Ghosts for Preschoolers

13. Oooo, Pumpkin Ghosts for Preschoolers

Many people go all out decorating for Halloween. Throughout our Halloween night travels we’ve seen jaw- dropping, beautifully done yards and front steps and they were a delight. As my children have gotten older, we’ve also added our share of ghoulish surpr…

Math Nerd Halloween Costume

14. Math Nerd Halloween Costume

Are you a math geek? Do you consider it a compliment to be called a nerd? If so, dressing up in a math nerd costume this Halloween might just be the way to go! I’ve selected ways for you to factor in the proper ratio of geek- ness so you can multiply your…

★ DIY Flapper Girl Costume | 1920s Great Gatsby Dresses, Accessories, Hair & Makeup Ideas ★

15. ★ DIY Flapper Girl Costume | 1920s Great Gatsby Dresses, Accessories, Hair & Makeup Ideas ★

Thanks to the recent Great Gatsby movie, people have been inspired by the elegance and glamor of the 1920s and as a result the style has already become a fashion trend – one which is still growing and is bound to be very popular this Halloween. So if you w…

How To Make Cute DIY Polymer Clay Pumpkin Earrings

16. How To Make Cute DIY Polymer Clay Pumpkin Earrings

Learn how to make a pair of cute pumpkin earrings from polymer sculpting clay to wear for Halloween or to give as gifts. I have included an easy to follow, step- by- step tutorial with lots of photos demonstrating how you can make these cute DIY pumpkin ea…

Baker & Chef Costumes

17. Baker & Chef Costumes

With all the cooking and baking competition shows currently on TV, dressing as a baker or chef has become a popular costume idea for this Halloween. You can add your own creative touches that really show off your personality or impersonate your favorite co…

Make a Knight in Chain Mail Halloween Costume

18. Make a Knight in Chain Mail Halloween Costume

Dress up as a medieval European knight for Halloween! A suit of chain armor can be quick and inexpensive, or an elaborate work of metalcraft. There are several ways to construct a chain mail knight costume. First, you can buy a complete lightweight outfit…

Screen Shot 2013-08-05 at 8.55.29 AM19. How to Plan a Classy and Elegant Halloween Wedding

Fall is undoubtedly one of the most popular seasons for a wedding, and with good reason. Fall is also home to one of the most popular holidays, Halloween, and many couples incorporate that into their wedding day. At first glance, a holiday dedicated to gho…

A Fun Homemade Halloween Costume - Ernie from Sesame Street

20. A Fun Homemade Halloween Costume – Ernie from Sesame Street

Throughout history there have been many famous duos. Couples such as Antony & Cleopatra, Rhett & Scarlett, Bogie & Bacall, and Romeo & Juliet were more famous together than apart. Even some famous friends took the spotlight in pairs. Duos s…

Halloween Items: Unique Ones

21. Halloween Items: Unique Ones

Wow! Halloween is approaching and so much fun will be there. This celebration is really an enjoyable one where one can wear different kinds of costumes and the decorations of the house are very different from other celebrations. This uniqueness of this cel…

Halloween Recipes for Your Family

22. Halloween Recipes for Your Family

For may people, holidays and food are intertwined with many wonderful memories. For me, holidays meant the gathering of my Nana, my mom, and my aunties in the kitchen putting together traditional holiday favorites. As a child, I was put to work peeling car…

Creepy-crawly Halloween Cupcake Recipes a Cake Recipe in Disguise

23. Creepy-crawly Halloween Cupcake Recipes a Cake Recipe in Disguise

Food is one of the best parts of my Halloween and creepy- crawly Halloween cupcake recipes a cake recipe in disguise is one off my favorite treats. It’s a tricky treat for sure since it looks pretty on the outside my cupcake recipe for my Halloween cupcake…

Alternatives to Halloween Candy

24. Alternatives to Halloween Candy

Instead of candy, my neighbors give something different to trick or treaters. My kids love going to their house to see what my neighbors will give out each year. With the focus lately on obesity in kids, getting one less piece of candy on Halloween doesn’t…

Great Gatsby Halloween

25. Great Gatsby Halloween

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s book, The Great Gatsby, which was a hit movie this year, creates a wonderful reason to throw a 1920s themed Halloween party! So many ideas have leaped into my head, it’s astounding! I’m not talking just your basic ‘Roaring 20s – Flapp…

Psycho--Dinner and a Movie

26. Psycho–Dinner and a Movie

Few movies have had an impact like Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho. Filmed back in late 1959 and early 1960, it still retains its element of horror for today’s viewers, just as it did when it debuted well over 50 years ago. Almost all who have watched the sh…

Ghastly Garden Gnomes for Halloween

27. Ghastly Garden Gnomes for Halloween

The scariest decoration in your yard is not the animated tombstone or the skeleton sitting in a rocky chair on your front porch. No, the scariest Halloween decoration lurking in your yard will be the garden gnome. Don’t believe me? Check out this collectio…

Halloween Card to Make

28. Halloween Card to Make

This article steps you through the process of making a Halloween card for friends and family. Maybe you have not talked to a relative in a long time and Halloween would be a fun time to touch bases. I came up with this idea yesterday and I spent last eveni…

Four Halloween Films For Adults

29. Four Halloween Films For Adults

Although it could be argued that there isn’t a horror film made today that shouldn’t be watched by adults only, there are films out there that clearly didn’t care if they got a teenager audience or not. You won’t find endless teen couples making out, there…

Silly Despicable Me Minion Character Costumes

30. Silly Despicable Me Minion Character Costumes

True Minion fans will not be content to just wear a basic minion costume for Halloween or a Minion party. With so many ways to accessorize a basic Minion Costume based on the different characters and their get ups, you can create your own uniquely inspired…

Cat Halloween Costume Ideas

31. Cat Halloween Costume Ideas

This Halloween why not go for the cute look and get in touch with your feline side? You can make it sexy or cuddly, or go feral. There are cartoon cats and literature cats. Cats figure large in many cultures, most notably Egyptian. Once you’ve chosen the e…

How To Make Glowing Eyes For Halloween

32. How To Make Glowing Eyes For Halloween

Here’s a great way to make a whole lot spooky decorations for Halloween, for very little money. These little glowing eyes will be a spooky addition where ever to you put them. Who doesn’t get the creeps when a bunch of eyeballs are staring at them from out…

Halloween Wreaths To Scream About

33. Halloween Wreaths To Scream About

Holiday wreaths are the easiest way of bring the fun of the holiday right to your front door. In the Fall I like to use natural items that I find around the yard. In the case of the following wreaths I used Pine cones and Mesquite Pods that are native to m…

Sharing Your Faith on Halloween

34. Sharing Your Faith on Halloween

Even though we are in a town that celebrates this as a holiday this is not one that we participate directly with. We don’t do the costumes or carve the pumpkins. The light is not turned on for those that are going door to door. But there are still knocks a…

Lens of the Day: Nothing Says Summer Like A Slice Of Juicy Watermelon

Posted: 05 Aug 2013 05:32 AM PDT

No comments:

Post a Comment