Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Write as though your life depended on it… by lensmaster Photahsiamirabel

Posted: 07 Aug 2013 06:08 AM PDT

photoasWell, at least write as though you care!

One of my most personal lenses is this one: Potato Allergy – the Cinderella Food Intolerance

When I first wrote this page, I was having a bit of a last straw moment! You know, one of those days when you could just chew the sofa out of frustration? If I had a buck for every time someone had disbelieved or ignored me over potato allergy, I could probably fly across the Atlantic first class! I had finally had enough of people offering me mash when I said I couldn't eat chips because I was allergic to potatoes, or worse still offering me salad so I had zero carbs on my plate (which is not cool when you are diabetic). So, this lens was born out of frustration and a personal need to spread the message that allergies to wheat, milk, shellfish, and nuts are not the only ones that stores, food manufacturers and restaurants should think about. It was written with honesty and more than a little passion.

You should never be afraid to write with honesty and passion, you know. A lens written because you care WILL find an audience given time. At first my lens was slow to take off, it wasn't selling anything, it wasn't offering any sort of miracle or newsworthy copy, it wasn't on a popular topic that you can load with all the keywords that trend. When I say slow, I do mean slow. It got very, very little traffic and what little it got was due to positive and constant self-promotion on Twitter, Facebook and from friends sharing those tweets. Slowly, the traffic increased and the comments started to come. I had a bit of a Damascus moment when reading those comments and finding out that, yes, in some people, potato allergy could even be life threatening! Slowly the search engines started to send people my way too.

When I wrote this page, it was in the hopes that one day food manufacturers would stop putting potato flour and potato starch into all their products, even sweet ones like Apfelstrudel. So far that original hope has not materialized, but Google, Bing and Yahoo seem to have found the page nicely and this month it is hovering just outside Tier 1. It is not a sales lens by any means. I could tell you if it has ever made a sale at all if I spent more time checking my stats. Regrettably I don't, thus earning my amateur status on Squidoo and wearing it as a badge of honour in true British fashion.

What I do know is that a LOT of people in this big, wide world do have a potato allergy and a lot of those people are searching for information about it. This humble lens is providing a gateway to some of that information. It is earning its place on Squidoo through moderate traffic and a good clickout rate. More importantly, it is earning its place by telling people with potato intolerance and life threatening potato allergy that somewhere there are others who understand their frustration with restaurants and food manufacturers.
Maybe, just maybe, one day we will see them take potato flour OUT of ready made vegetarian food, pies, cakes, soups, bread buns, pork pies, sausage rolls, packaged meats like sliced chicken breast and ham… Perhaps… ~Photahsiamirabel

Lens of the Day: How to Make Real Peanut Butter Fudge

Posted: 07 Aug 2013 05:38 AM PDT

Introducing DreyaB

Posted: 07 Aug 2013 05:00 AM PDT

Meet DreyaB, from the UK but now living in France (you’ll find a little flavor of both places in her lenses). You may recognize this new lensmaster already since in her short Squidoo career she’s already earned purple star and Lens of the Day honors. Now it’s time to get to know her better.

What brought you to Squidoo? To be honest I was looking for somewhere to stretch my writing muscles and give things a try. I had to write formally for business a long time ago, but apart from a blog that I didn’t manage to keep going, I hadn’t ever written ‘with my own voice’ before. I think I had some kind of itch that needed scratching(!) and I went online to look around at what was out there and found Squidoo. It took me quite a while to build up my confidence to even join, but now I have I’m loving every minute.

You’ve had great lensmaking success here already, with purple star lenses and even a Lens of the Day. Congratulations! What can we look forward to reading about next? Thank you! It’s all come as quite a shock if I’m honest. I wasn’t expecting any of this, but I do have some more ideas up my sleeve. I’d like to do something about the wildlife and countryside here in France. Being quite new here and enjoying photography, we’re discovering new plants and flowers nearly every week. We’re also renovating the house we bought, so maybe something about that too. I’d also love to do a Formula 1 lens or two as I’ve been watching that since I was six and would like to get more people interested and involved. Plus more book reviews and keeping up with as many Squidoo quests as possible!

What can Squidoo do for you? Gosh, I think it’s done plenty already! It’s certainly helped me find my writing voice. I think more of the same really. Keep encouraging all of us to do well and write from the heart. Keep pushing us to go further by suggesting quest topics outside our comfort zone. Keep giving us new and improved tools to enable us to create super lenses that highlight our writing and keep working with and challenging the rest of the ‘internet’ so we can carry on being bigger and better and make Squidoo the number 1 place to go!

Going off to college? Stop here first!

Posted: 06 Aug 2013 02:46 PM PDT

Are You Off To College?

1. Are You Off To College?

So your off to college! Is your heart racing, are you a little nervous. I know your really excited and happy about being on your own for the first time. I was feeling the same way as I’m sure most College grads did their Freshmen year. I didn’t go right to…

College Survival Guide, Beyond the Books.

2. College Survival Guide, Beyond the Books.

and painstakingly digging into the mailbox everyday, before anyone else has a chance at it’s contents, you finally see it! That big brown envelope with the letter inside, inviting you to become a member of the student body at your chosen University. If you…

How to Impress Your Professors

3. How to Impress Your Professors

I know quite a bit about what professors like and dislike. You see, I have been married to a professor for decades. I have also been a college student. Your professors are people who have worked very hard to learn things most people never learn. Having don…

College Delicacies Ramen Noodles

4. College Delicacies Ramen Noodles

You can’t go through college without having had your fair share of ramen noodles. Seriously, it’s in the syllabus – eat mass quantities of ramen noodles. Ramen are part of the core curriculum, and they won’t graduate you without a passing grade. Hell, I ha…

Large Floor Pillows are Perfect For Dorm Rooms

5. Large Floor Pillows are Perfect For Dorm Rooms

When I was a kid I used to sit on the floor all the time. I used to lie down in front of the television as it was way more comfortable than sitting on the couch. That was until my mum saw this program that clued her into the dust mites that live in the car…

Harness Your University Social Life

6. Harness Your University Social Life

Social life on campus is deemed very important by many. But to keep those scholarships students need to keep a good grade- point average. Guess what? This doesn’t need to be an either- or situation! Social life and studies can complement each other and hel…

A Halloween Lensmaking Tip from Hkhollands

Posted: 06 Aug 2013 01:47 PM PDT

halloweenboofetYou know how when kids go trick-or-treating and they come home and dump the whole big bag of candy onto the floor? That’s what an unfocused lens looks like.

Sure, it may be exciting at first to see everything piled together, but it begs to be sorted — chocolate in one pile, fruit flavored candies in another, those black and orange wrapped Peanut Butter Kisses in a pile all their own.

Try sorting your ‘bag of tricks’ when crafting your Halloween lens. Choose one topic and keep it together.

For example, I chose to focus my lens on the best Halloween party I ever attended. I featured the frightful feast we had during that one night. Likewise, you could write about your favorite Halloween costume, or write a whole lens about how you greet trick-or-treaters.

Choose something relevant to you, tell a personal story, and include your own pictures when possible. If you do that, your lens will stand out as something to be savored instead of getting lost in the big mix of everything Halloween. ~hkhollands

Have a look at hkhollands terrific Halloween lens by visiting: How to Create a Bewitching Halloween BOOfet

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-create-a-bewitching-halloween-boofet

No comments:

Post a Comment