Friday, August 9, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Using Reader Comments To Create Your Next Great Lens by RenaissanceWoman2010

Posted: 09 Aug 2013 06:44 AM PDT

offthegridMy launch on Squidoo was the publication of Living the Off-the-Grid Good Life. It was a thrilling time for me as I transitioned to a green lifestyle and returned to the writing I had set aside for far too long.

As I inhaled the comments left by generous Squids, buoyed by their thoughtful engagement and encouragement, I began to see themes emerge in reader responses. Some visitors to my new lens felt they had waited too long to pursue their dream of an off-grid life. Others wondered if the good life was out of their reach due to expense or other imagined barriers. And finally, there were questions about the day-to-day realities of off-grid living.

This solicited a depth of response in me that led to publishing what has become one of my perennially best performing lenses, Off the Grid Myths – Busting. I never anticipated this lens would do so well over time. It's not glitzy. I just simply and genuinely responded to earlier guests who had shared their hopes, dreams, fears, and questions in reaction to my "Good Life" lens.

It's become apparent to me that living the good life is my major niche. Those who desire to live fully, to live essentially, to reconnect with all that matters most to them are my original tribe. The members of this tribe visit my lenses faithfully and often ask for more articles about off-grid living and more opportunities to vicariously experience my lifestyle (until they can make their own dream come true).

Lessons Learned

Mine the comments left by lens visitors for the gold nuggets that will become your next lens.

Respond in a meaningful way to your lens guests.

Find and remain faithful to your true niche.

Keep the initial thrill alive by creating the kind of connection with readers that forges loyalty and a very real sense of genuine community. ~RenaissanceWoman2010

Introducing chocolatelily

Posted: 09 Aug 2013 06:28 AM PDT

Say hello to chocolatelily. She signed up with Squidoo just a few weeks ago and has been quite active, making great lenses and participating in RocketSquids. Don’t miss her lenses – or our interview.

How did you find Squidoo? I actually found Squidoo by accident a few weeks ago. I had been feeling unfulfilled with my blog, since it's mainly associated with my Etsy shop and the topics are limited. I think I typed in something like, "ways to earn money at home," and one of the articles I read was by someone on Squidoo. They highly recommended it, so I gave it a shot. I was skeptical at first, but everyone's made me feel at home.

You have a great start on your lenses and a purple star already. Congratulations! I’m guessing we can expect some more crochet-themed lenses. Any new topics in the works? Thank you! Yes, I plan on doing some more lenses on crochet, but I really want to write about a diversity of topics, such as travel, books, cooking, crafts, and maybe even some short stories. I'll write about almost anything in which I take an interest. I currently have a travel-themed lens in the works for a RocketSquids challenge.

What can Squidoo do for you? Squidoo can keep being as welcoming and supportive as it has been thus far. I also hope Squidoo will help me improve my writing and expand my repertoire of subjects. In addition, I would like to be able to earn some extra income to help out my husband.

Lens of the Day: Why I love my dog Charlie

Posted: 09 Aug 2013 05:38 AM PDT

charlieHere at Squidoo, we love pets and personal stories.

If you love both of those things too, stop by today’s Lens of the Day Why I love my dog Charlie by lensmaster RebeccaRubia.

We’ve Got A New “Text + Text with Big Picture” Module

Posted: 08 Aug 2013 02:28 PM PDT

The “Text Module’ and the ”Text with Big Picture” are pretty much the same thing…

  • The original “Text” module allowed you to upload a single image, which was positioned on the right.
  • The “Text with Big Picture” module allowed you to upload a single (large) image and it was positioned above your text.

So in order to simplify the process AND create a more options for you we’ve combined both modules into a single module.

Now when you add or edit a text module, you can upload an image and position it on the left, on the right, or on top (which is big).

There’s also a new image tab in the Text module editor to perform this function. Here’s what it looks like, and what the results look like:

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 4.48.45 PM

We’re naming this new module “Text + Text with Big Picture” so you can find it easily by searching.

We’ll be rolling this new module out over the next couple of hours.

Guest QuestMaster: Try an Arts & Design Quest from Lensmaster poetvix

Posted: 08 Aug 2013 01:08 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 3.30.50 PMEvery week our Giant Squids will be acting as “Guest QuestMasters”. They are dreaming up some creative Lensmaking Quests for our Squidoo topics.

Our very first Guest QuestMaster is poetvix and here is her Quest.

The Lensmaking Quest: Teach your readers to make something useful and really cool for less than five dollars.

Quest Description: What defines what is useful and really cool? You do. This quest challenges lensmasters of all levels to create a new lens that will empower readers to create through engaging writing, awesome instructions and wise warnings.

Successful lensmasters will include original photographs that are properly accredited, thoughtful product selections of tools and materials required and most of all be easy and interesting for readers to follow.

No one is more creative or better at stretching a dollar than a squid. Let's pay it forward by helping each other and our readers to do the same.

The Reward: poetvix will help us pick 10 lenses that best represent the quest AND all 10 will get a Purple Star.

Quest Length: 2 weeks.

Who gets this quest: Our top lensmasters who have lenses in the Art & Design topic will recieve this quest. So please to check your quest tab.

We’ll have more quests from more Giants every week in different topics…so stay tuned and have fun with this one.

We Have Our First Winner!

Posted: 08 Aug 2013 09:30 AM PDT

shaymarieWe’ve just completed the first Happy Halloween Club quest of the 2013 season.

Congratulations to lensmaster shay_marie whose The Best Halloween Costume I Ever Made – Wembley from Fraggle Rock lens was chosen the winner.  For her hard work and effort, shay_marie will receive a $25.00 Amazon.com gift card.

We got a lot of terrific entries for this quest but there’s always room for more.  If you’d like to get in on the fun, stop by All About Squidoo Clubs to learn how you can join the Happy Halloween Club or any of our other fun niche clubs.

 

Here’s the winning lens:

The Best Halloween Costume I Ever Made - Wembley from Fraggle Rock

 The Best Halloween Costume I Ever Made – Wembley from Fraggle Rock

Yes, the best Halloween costume I ever made for myself was of one of Jim Henson’s Muppets, and I am a full grown adult. Wembley, the goofy/naive Fraggle from the 80s favorite Fraggle Rock, is without a doubt my favorite. I was living in San Francisco at th…

Stop by Happy Halloween Club Quest: Who will YOU be for Halloween? to see all of the entries and to find some really super cool Halloween costume ideas.

Thank you to everyone who entered. In my opinion you’re all winners because you’ve got a great new costume lens that’s just ready and waiting for your readers to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment