Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing tammywilliams09

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 05:39 AM PDT

Meet tammywilliams09, who has recently extended her article writing career to include Squidoo – and we’re thrilled to have her. You may have seen her around, but we thought you’d like to learn a little more about her.

How did you find Squidoo? I wanted to expand my creative skill set so I searched online and took a writing course on Udemy in February 2013. My tutor encouraged me to join EzineArticles so that I could practice writing. I submitted my first article in March and feel great that my work was published. Shortly after, I was asked to be a guest writer by publishing Career articles to WiseWolf Taking. However, I wanted some help in improving my writing skills and to interact more frequently with other writers. I searched online and came across guides and lens instructing new lensmasters how to write lens for Squidoo. I read a variety of lens and love the content and layout so I joined Squidoo in July.

You have a nice, eclectic selection of lenses so far. Are there any “hot topics” that we can look forward to down the road? Lensmasters are always encouraged to create lenses based on their own experiences and passions. I love fruits so in my first lens I challenged myself to find out the typical uses and references made about fruit. I also love watching cartoons on Disney channel, own a Samsung Galaxy Europa and wear glasses so I used those experiences for my previous lenses. I am not sure what my next topic will be about but I plan to examine my life more thoroughly and share information that will be beneficial to everyone.

What can Squidoo do for you? I am glad that Squidoo uses SquidGaming because I love participating in polls, quizzes, liking and commenting on lens. I am always extremely pleased when I see my level and trophy count increasing. I am hoping that it will encourage me to stay motivated to read and write more lenses. I also joined RocketSquids so that I could participate in Quests and receive feedback on my lens. So far I have only participated in a few lens creation quests but I am hoping that the quests topics will help me to think for creatively about my everyday life. I am sure once I get more practice and inspiration it would make learning and contributing even more fun.

Where Were You When?

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 05:35 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-09-11 at 8.34.15 AMIn honor of this week’s anniversary of 9-11, we asked our RocketSquids to make a lens talking about “Where were you when?” They were to choose any event in history and write a personal lens on that subject. It was a tough assignment, but our students rose to the occasion. The results were remarkable, and remarkably varied, and we’re pleased to share them with you here today.

Image Credit

Gander Newfoundland-An Unlikely Haven

1. Gander Newfoundland-An Unlikely Haven

On September 11, 2001 my day started out as usual; by getting ready and heading off to work as a Courier Driver. I headed upstairs, and happened to glance at the TV that was on upstairs where the landlady lived. She always left the upstairs door open. As I…

The Tohoku Earthquake on 3.11 - My Experience

2. The Tohoku Earthquake on 3.11 – My Experience

It was a typical Friday in March – March 11, 2011 to be exact. I was working at home on my laptop in the living room. I had the TV on as background noise while my dog, Justin, was happily licking away at his chew toy. I was intensely concentrating on my wo…

The Life of Jesus Christ: And How it Changed My Life Forever

3. The Life of Jesus Christ: And How it Changed My Life Forever

It seems strange to me that the single- most life- changing and important event that ever happened in my life is something that actually happened thousands of years before I was even born. But the more I think about it, the more I realized how true this is…

What Lyndon B. Johnson and I have in common

4. What Lyndon B. Johnson and I have in common

President Lyndon B. Johnson (August 27, 1908 – January 22, 1973), also known as LBJ, was the 36th president of the United States. He took over office after President John F. Kennedy’s assassination, and then served another full term as president. He was ma…

The Day Pluto Stopped Being a Planet

5. The Day Pluto Stopped Being a Planet

A day in history that I remember most was when I was told that Pluto was not considered a planet anymore. Over night my paradigm of the solar system was forced to change, along with everyone else. School children are now taught the eight planets in our sol…

And that’s not all. You’ll find the complete list here.

Lens of the Day: Butterfly Conservatory Niagara Falls

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 05:08 AM PDT

What’s the Next BIG Thing? – Community Lensmaking Quest – Ends September 24th

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 04:40 PM PDT

popularThis quest is open to all members of Squidoo.  If you’re a lensmaster, you’re in.

This time out, we’re looking for NEW lenses about something you’re (almost) positive will be the next really popular thing.

BUT, there’s a twist.  We want you to compare what’s new to something from the past… and include old photos if you’ve got them.

Ideas might include but aren’t limited to:

  • Twerking versus The Twist
  • ________ will one day be as popular as the Beatles
  • ________ is the future Johnny Depp
  • Morris versus Grumpy Cat
  • iPhones are out ________ is In
  • Anything else you can think of!!!

Use your noodle and get creative for this one.  Tell us why you feel the way you do.  Share examples if you can.  Use photos to make the lens even more interesting.

There’s no points being given out for this quest but if your new lens is excellent (and we agree) it will be rewarded with a shiny new Purple Star.

At the end of the quest we'll also take the very best and show them off in a list post right here at Squidoo HQ.

Here's the Guidelines:

To enter this quest simply share the link to your new lens right here in the comments section of this post before the end of the day on September 24th 2013.

We'll review the lenses as they come in and create a list post to show them off at the end of the quest.

And yes, you can post as many NEW lenses here as you like.

Go now and get busy.  We’re looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Image Source (CC BY 2.0)

How’s The Weather Where You Live?

Posted: 10 Sep 2013 02:28 PM PDT

Sure, technically it’s still summer but with September well underway I was hoping for a bit of a break in the high temperatures by now.

In any event I find myself unable to think of anything else and so I bring you several lenses about the weather, the heat, and one with a little wish for a cooling rain attached.

How’s the weather by you?

Strange Weather Folklore and Facts and How to Predict Weather at Home

1. Strange Weather Folklore and Facts and How to Predict Weather at Home

With talk of climate change, global warming, and unusual weather events, some may wonder if there is a way that we can predict weather from home. The answer is yes, whether you use weather prediction folklore like woolly bear caterpillars, pig spleens, oni…

Dealing with extreme heat: Lessons learned in California's deserts

2. Dealing with extreme heat: Lessons learned in California’s deserts

Having lived in the Mojave Desert for six months, including during the majority of one summer, plus having visited California’s deserts other times, plus living most of the time since 1988 where it has topped 110 degrees (43 C) a few times, has given me a…

How We Keep Cool Without Air Conditioning

3. How We Keep Cool Without Air Conditioning

It’s summer in Kentucky. Hazy, hot and humid are the weatherman’s favorite words. And our family is living without air condiitoning. Our a/c compressor sprung a leak on the hottest day of 2011 and I simply do not have the money right now to replace it. So,…

It's Raining! It's Pouring!

4. It’s Raining! It’s Pouring!

As the Rain Pours Down the Learning Soars. Water, rain, puddles, wetness. A rainy day can be filled with fun, hands- on learning activities. This article will give you dozens of ideas, resources, hints and tricks to create water- themed rainy activities fo…

What is it Really Like to Live in Hawaii?

5. What is it Really Like to Live in Hawaii?

One freezing cold San Francisco winter, 25 years ago, I booked a flight, packed a suitcase, and moved to Hawaii. Just like that. I did have the advantage of having a sister already living in Hawaii and years of Hawaii vacations under my belt, but there wer…

No comments:

Post a Comment