Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing boneworld

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 06:42 AM PDT

Say hello to Jackson, who you may already know as boneworld on Squidoo. He’s a software engineer turned artist turned Squidoo lensmaster. He’s new here but already has a purple star lens – and we predict many more. Enjoy!

How did you find Squidoo? I suppose you could say, I found Squidoo through a sort of unplanned relay race of signing up for different social media sites to try and promote my drawing. I began by stumbling onto DeviantArt, which is a place artists can keep a gallery of their work, and find other similar artists, and get ideas from them. From there, I noticed, each of them were promoting their work through twitter, facebook, tumblr, and/or google-plus, so I signed up for all of those. But the truth was, I felt like I had more to offer than just updates to social media.

I’ve learned to draw later in life, and everything I know about drawing is at the forefront of my mind. It hasn’t sunk in too deeply, so I actually feel like I’m in a better position to teach drawing than someone who’s been doing it for their entire life, or someone who’s making a career at it. Maybe it’s preposterous, but I know exactly how I draw. When I put a line on paper, it doesn’t just come naturally for me, I’m telling myself, each time, how to do it.

The thought of teaching had me thinking of writing a blog, but I didn’t just want to write something that would get buried on the internet. So, oddly enough, I was led to a HubPages article, written by Greekgeek. I can’t remember which one exactly, but I read a couple there, and a couple of her’s on Squidoo. The articles I read were about SEO, and getting your pages noticed on the web. She sounded like a credible source, so I started there. I flip-flopped between joining HubPages versus Squidoo, but finally, I decided Squidoo had a bit better reputation, and it just seemed more my style. There was a lot more assistance in setting up pages, the Amazon links, and most importantly, I noticed that it was quite a bit sillier than HubPages. So, boom, here I am!

I love that you’ve brought your art, itself a recently-new part of your life, to Squidoo. From your bio it sounds like you have lots of stories to tell both in pictures and now in words. What’s coming up on your lensmaking list? Well, if you take a look at my very first lens, “I Wish I Could Draw” (plug), I’d like to do a series of articles on drawing. My style is a little more geared towards the doodler than the artist, and in many ways it resembles what you might find in comic books and cartoons, because that’s what originally inspired me to start drawing. So, that’s kind of how things will kick off from here.

I know it’s not completely originally, but I’ll begin with the different angles of the head, followed by laying out the human figure, and then move on to posing the human figure. I have a little different perspective on how the human body should be laid out than most things I’ve read. I’ll also probably pepper in a few other things, like some book reviews, since most of what I know I’ve learned from several books. Another Squid, named FrancesWrites, recommended doing a lens on the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and showing the results of my exercises. I though that was a great idea, so at some point, I’ll probably do that. At the same time, I’ll be doing whatever RocketSquid challenges seem to inspire me to write, and if anything else jumps out at me I’ll give that a shot too. Sufficed to say, I have a laundry list of things to get me started.

What can Squidoo do for you? What can Squidoo do for ME? That’s an excellent question. You see, I actually have a number of short and long term goals in mind for writing lenses. My first goal would just be to establish some kind of a presence on the internet. I realize that Squidoo gives its writers the enviable freedom to write about their favorite cheese recipes one day, and follow that up with a detailed article on the pros and cons of invading Syria the next. However, right from the start, it was my intention to write articles that would directly relate to my drawing, and hopefully, in time, I can establish myself on the internet as an authority in this area.

You see, my long term goal is to one day retire, and not have to move to a hut in the middle of no where, because I don’t really like snakes or bugs very much. I’d like to be able to walk out on my last day of work, with a smile on my face, knowing full well that me and my family will be fine. Now I have some gray hair, and a few more aches and pains than I used to, but my retirement is quite a ways off, so I thought I’d get to work now on some kind of a solution that might offer the kind of comfort that I so richly deserve. It’s my hope, that someday, someone will be willing to pay for the things I draw, and that maybe, I’ll also be able to make a few extra bucks with the articles I’ve written on Squidoo.

So, I guess all I really want from Squidoo, is for it to make me look smart. I plan to write lenses that are as strong as I possibly can, because, I’d really like for people to see my name, and recognize it for being synonymous with a certain drawing technique. That seems kind of daunting at the moment, but I figure over the course of a few years, and many many lenses, I can probably accomplish that, to at least a certain degree. And that’s kind of my end game.

Lens of the Day: Tricky Deep Fried Potato Peelings

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 05:16 AM PDT

No comments:

Post a Comment