Friday, September 20, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Check out what our beta testers have been up to with the New Lens Format.

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 08:30 AM PDT

We’re pretty excited to share some more New Lens Format lenses from our beta testing group. As you can see they are reviewing and recommending products that they know and love. We’ll be releasing this New Format Lens soon to the entire community so stay tuned.

How To Sell Crafts Online

1. How To Sell Crafts Online

Lots of people have dreamed of making a profit selling crafts. But many do not have the time or opportunity to do flea markets or shows. And for the craft beginning seller, large inventory might not be something they are ready to get into. So having an ETS…

Londonstani - the book that should never be filmed

2. Londonstani – the book that should never be filmed

When I first started to read this book, I can’t say that it was a subject that truly fascinated me but a friend had recommended it so I decided to give it a go. It’s the story of a bunch of Hindu and Sikh teenagers in a rather seedy area of London. I know,…

Confessing, My Secret Love... For Tools

3. Confessing, My Secret Love… For Tools

My Confession: I Have A Secret Love. For Tool Sets I’ve kept my secret long enough. It’s time to come clean. I get hot flashes over tool sets. Maybe I’m weak, but I’m making my confession so that others who share my problem will know they are not alone. It…

Thundershirt helped my dog overcome thunderstorm anxiety

4. Thundershirt helped my dog overcome thunderstorm anxiety

We got our dog Rina from the animal shelter, she was a small fur ball very eager to spread happiness in our family. And she was a happy dog, brave when it came to exploring, friendly when it came to meeting other dogs – a perfect little dog. Well at least…

Essential Book for the Serious Birder and Ornithologist

5. Essential Book for the Serious Birder and Ornithologist

Birding has become a popular hobby, and many birders are very serious about it. I have been birding for several years, and think I am just scratching the surface. Bird hobbyists actually add much important knowledge about birds to the field of ornithology,…

Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 11.14.40 AM6. Thumbs Up for the Camp Chef Sherpa Table & Organizer

INCLUDING THE KITCHEN SINK My husband and I, we love camping, whether it’s out of backpacks with gear limited to what we can fit and manage to carry, or car- camping where what we bring is limited only by the size of our vehicle. So, when we were browsing…

Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popper

7. Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popper

I recently won a contest that rewarded me with an Amazon gift card. As I considered the millions of amazing things I could purchase with my winnings, it didn’t take me long to make my selection. I knew almost immediately what I would gift to myself. As a s…

My Favorite Jeff Bridges Movie

8. My Favorite Jeff Bridges Movie

I am sure there are some of you reading this who can remember watching Lloyd Bridges in ‘Sea Hunt’ years ago during your childhood like I do. And many more have watched various movies with his sons, Beau and Jeff Bridges, in leading and supporting roles. O…

Applying wheel detailing tape to my 2014 Honda Grom

9. Applying wheel detailing tape to my 2014 Honda Grom

I wanted to make the wheels on my 2014 Honda Grom stand out. I wanted my motorcycle to stand out from the crowd. After some searching on Amazon using the search parameter ‘wheel tape’ the query returned several selections but which one should I purchase? T…

Kokology: The Game of Self-Discovery

10. Kokology: The Game of Self-Discovery

Eye- catching and Interesting, those are the words I would describe this book known as Kokology. From the moment my eyes caught sight of it, this book lured me like a fish towards its sparkling content. Let’s try to investigate on how this seemingly ordina…

Five Fright-Filled Lenses

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 05:54 AM PDT

Lensmasters are sharing their best scary stories with us. Enter the following five fright-filled lenses if you dare!

I Should Have Died

1. I Should Have Died

Most of us have experienced what we call ‘brushes with death’ at points throughout our lives, but I have three tales that, I think, are just plain mysterious and spooky. I am not much of a spiritual person, but I have always felt that someone or something…

The Ghost

2. The Ghost

In 1968 I was a young policeman on a lonely country beat, when I was sent to check out an empty cottage where strange sounds had been heard. The old lady who had lived there before she died had scared local people with her bizarre behaviour. This is the tr…

The Tale Of The Banshee

3. The Tale Of The Banshee

Ireland as you know is the land of the fairies and leprechauns and each is steeped in its own special magic. Among them sits the ‘banshee. ‘ This female is a troubled soul that hovers somewhere between earth and heaven, her duties as yet unfulfilled. When…

The Bathroom Ghost

4. The Bathroom Ghost

In 1958, as newlyweds, my husband and I had settled down in our first ‘home,’ a few rooms in a big old house that had been renovated into apartments. We had a bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom and screened in porch. We felt we were living pretty larg…

The Night Fear Taught Me Not To Be Afraid

5. The Night Fear Taught Me Not To Be Afraid

The night fear taught me not to be afraid gave me a story I told many times as a kid. It scared the hell out of whoever listened, but it wasn’t until years later, when I was grownup enough to see it from a distance, that the real lesson of that night cam…

Introducing BrownEyedGirl69

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 05:49 AM PDT

Today we’re pleased to introduce BrownEyedGirl69. She’s a RocketSquid, active in the community and building her lens portfolio quickly. Enjoy her lenses and our interview.

How did you find Squidoo? I was trying to find a way to make a little extra money at home. I thought about starting a blog then I found squidoo. It was the perfect fit for me. I work full-time and have been pursuing my Squidoo career on a part-time basis. I hope to eventually be able to Squidoo full-time. I have discovered I really enjoy writing.

You say in your bio that you enjoy writing whatever interests you that day – sounds like good strategy! What’s interesting you today? What else is on your to-Squidoo list? This weekend I am finishing up a couple of lenses I have been working on and I hope to get started on my next quest “Super Easy Veg Meal Ideas”. I have joined several groups including “Rocket Squids”on Squidoo and it has helped me decide what to write about.

What can Squidoo do for you? Squidoo is a great place for people who want to write and make some money in the process. The modules are great and easy for someone who does not understand the complexities of html, like me. I am enjoying the adventure with Squidoo and hope to become a successful article writer on Squidoo.

September is Happy Cat Month

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 05:47 AM PDT

Make Your Own Homemade Cat Toys

1. Make Your Own Homemade Cat Toys

Homemade cat toys are super easy to make and way more fun for your cats than expensive store- bought toys. On this page you can learn how to make all sorts of homemade cat toys. On this page you’ll find ideas for homemade cat toys made out of things you’d…

Outdoor Cat Shelter

2. Outdoor Cat Shelter

For those who care for an outdoor cat, having a suitable outdoor cat shelter is important. Find out more about the risks that winter poses and learn about how to provide your cats the shelter and protection they need in winter with an insulated cat house,…

Best Automatic Cat Feeders for Busy Cat Owners

3. Best Automatic Cat Feeders for Busy Cat Owners

On vacation or leaving your cat for a few days? An automatic cat feeder can set your mind at ease, without the expense of hiring a pet sitter. Your cat gets access to food when he needs it, but no food is left out in the open to attract pests or let a gree…

Five Homemade Cat Food Recipes

4. Five Homemade Cat Food Recipes

It’s about time people realised something basic about feeding cats. Cats are carnivores. More to the point, cats are obligate carnivores. Being an ‘obligate carnivore’ means that I’m designed to get my nutrition from animal- based proteins – that’s meat. P…

How To Make Your Own Cat Tower or Cat Tree

5. How To Make Your Own Cat Tower or Cat Tree

Do you want to buy a really huge cat tree or are they a little expensive right now? If so, if you adore your cat, why not make your own cat tree or scratching post? Even with our very limited carpentry skills, we did. Cat trees are so expensive, and not ne…

Unique Cat Trees For Unique Cats

6. Unique Cat Trees For Unique Cats

I did the research and read all about the benefits of having a cat tree – that having a piece of furniture especially for a cat to climb, play, and lounge on can help avoid health and behavioral problems – that it satisfies a cat’s natural instincts for be…

Free Cat Toy from a Toilet Paper Tube

7. Free Cat Toy from a Toilet Paper Tube

Cat toys are expensive. Make this free cat toy out of something you’d normally just throw away, an empty toilet paper tube. If you’re just tossing the empty toilet paper tube anyways, what do you have to lose? It only takes five minutes, plus it’s so easy,…

Lens of the Day: The Tohoku Earthquake on 3.11 – My Experience

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 04:58 AM PDT

Editor for the Day: AussieWriter introduces us to Australian Animals and Birds

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 09:59 AM PDT

aussieI picked a group of lenses that showcase Australia's native fauna. Most people think of koalas and kangaroos when they think of Australia, so they were musts. Australia has the only two monotremes in the world – the platypus and the echidna, so they had to get spots. The emu faces the kangaroo on the Australian coat of arms and is one of the biggest flightless birds in the world,. The Tasmanian devil is an oddity that is under the threat of extinction, while the wombat was briefly a pop culture item when Roy & HG took Fatso the fat-assed wombat to the 2000 Olympics and made him an unofficial mascot.

The kookaburra is an iconic Australian bird that has its own song and Australian owls are little known. Of course not everything is cute and cuddly so

I had to include a lens on some of the deadly creatures like the red-backed spider, a host of snakes and the box jellyfish.

Overall I think the group gives a good rounded introduction to Australia's unique creatures. ~AussieWriter

Koala Bears Facts

1. Koala Bears Facts

Do you know about koala bears? Actually koalas are not really bears at all, although their Latin scientific name, Phascolarctos cinereus, means ‘ash colored pouched bear’. So even though they aren’t really koala bears, I’ll excuse you if you say, ‘I’m just…

Learning about the Australian Kangaroo

2. Learning about the Australian Kangaroo

Kangaroos are one of Australia’s most loved animals. They are not often seen in the city outside of animal parks and usually live in the Australian outback. While they look very cute, even graceful when they are jumping, they can also be dangerous. Kangaro…

The Echidna

3. The Echidna

These fascinating little creatures are found in most parts of Australia. They are the short- beaked echidna, whilst the long- beaked echidna is found in Papua- New Guinea. Although the echidna eats termites and ants, it isn’t really an anteater at all, bei…

The Platypus

4. The Platypus

Have you ever heard of the Platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) before? They are incredibly unusual, and maybe you could even call them weird. These creatures look quite strange – not like any animal you’ve seen before, or maybe like a lot of animals put to…

wombats

5. wombats

Wombats are Australian marsupials. They are rather rotund quadrupeds with short powerful muscular legs. Wombats are found in South Eastern Australia and Tasmania. They live in forests, mountains and heathland areas, prefering the cooler climate of the sout…

Tasmanian Devils

6. Tasmanian Devils

The Tasmanian Devil is a marsupial, native to the island of Tasmania in Australia. Tasmanian Devils once lived not only in Tasmania but also on the Australian mainland – it is believed that they became extinct on mainland Australia about 400 years ago. Ear…

The Australian Emu

7. The Australian Emu

The Australian Emu is a large flightless bird that is native to Australia. Relatives include the ostrich and the cassowary. The Australian Emu is a national emblem of Australia and featured on the coat of arms and the fifty cent coin. Emus in the wild are…

Kookaburra - Wildlife Australia

8. Kookaburra – Wildlife Australia

He who laughs last, laughs longest and in the case of the Kookaburra it’s true. A Kookaburra also laughs the loudest – but without the kookaburra our days would surely be tinged with drabness and how would we know that the morning had broken? In the Dreamt…

Australian Owls

9. Australian Owls

Birds of Australia: Owl . Australia has 9 species of owl. When I was growing up our family often camped with other families who lived in our street. Frequently we would imitate the birds that we could hear but at the time I didn’t know much about them othe…

Deadly Australians - The Animal Kind

10. Deadly Australians – The Animal Kind

If it’s instinctive to fear certain animals, there’s never been a better reason than the dangerous and deadly creatures of Australia. With many endemic populations, or species only found in a specific geographical region like an island, the animals in Aust…

Thank you AussieWriter!

No comments:

Post a Comment