Thursday, September 5, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Listen Up! RocketSquids Noise Zone

Posted: 05 Sep 2013 09:19 AM PDT

Our most recent RocketSquids lensmaking challenge topic was “Things that make noise.”

Here’s a handful of their homework lenses.

A Cabin Full of Kids: 9 Lessons Learned by a Survivor

1. A Cabin Full of Kids: 9 Lessons Learned by a Survivor

Working with kids of any age is rarely easy; they are loud, demanding, three times as energetic as you are, and will use up every spare bit of time and energy you are willing to invest. That said, I survived it and so can you! And more than that, you will…

Formula 1 - A Beginner's Guide

2. Formula 1 – A Beginner’s Guide

With the advent of Ron Howard’s film ‘Rush’ due in September 2013, I thought perhaps for those of you who don’t know the sport, a bit of background might be useful. I’ve been watching Formula One for as long as I can remember, certainly from the age of six…

Why My Kids are Learning to Play Piano

3. Why My Kids are Learning to Play Piano

Don’t get me wrong I’m not grooming my kids to be rock stars, far from it. I just want to give them the gift of music. I love music but as a child I never learned piano as my parents couldn’t afford it. Both of my kids are learning to play piano and…

10 Amazing Musicians You Might Not Know Of

4. 10 Amazing Musicians You Might Not Know Of

We all have our own favourite musicians. Whether we love their music or we love their image that they represent, we all have a musician out there that we love. But let’s take a step back. Do we like these musicians because we truly like them? Or is it beca…

Largest Playable Pipe Organ In The World

5. Largest Playable Pipe Organ In The World

Noises are everywhere you go. There are the noises of nature, and some of them can be quite pleasant to listen to when we want to relax. Some of the loudest noises are caused by disasters around the world. There are the noises of everyday life, which can b…

Looking for more? You’ll find the complete list here. Looking for more information on RocketSquids, our lensmaking university for promising new lensmasters? Join the RocketSquids here.

Introducing ktrudell

Posted: 05 Sep 2013 07:15 AM PDT

Meet ktrudell. She’s a writer, very new to Squidoo but already a RocketSquid who’s enjoying our supportive community. Please say hello and make her feel even more welcome.

What brought you to Squidoo? A friend told me about Squidoo when I mentioned that writing web content for businesses brought in a paycheck, but I would love to have a more creative outlet too. I did a little research on it, signed up for an account, and poked around the site a bit. The layout and the friendly community were a big draw for me. The best thing, though, is that I get to write about what I want, when I want, and put a little of my personality into it. And the workshops are set up so I don't have to be an html expert in order to enhance my pages with all the extras that make them more interesting and interactive.

Your first lens is on a great Halloween topic, something you say in your bio that you really love – anything retro! I know you’re working on a RocketSquids challenge lens. Care to share any hints about what might be coming up on your lensmaking list? The RocketSquid challenges, of course. I'm also working on an outline for another Halloween lens about a local ghost walk. Fall is my favorite season, so my vacation to the mountains in October will probably turn into a seasonal travel lens. Then there is Christmas….
As far as my love of anything retro – The big band era is a favorite of mine, so you can look for a lens or two on the music and culture of that time. And I'll definitely be doing some on the 60s and 70s. There is so much to write about in those decades, from the music and culture to the social upheaval that shaped my generation. I just wish I could do this full time because I have so many ideas, and every time I think of one it leads to more!

What can Squidoo do for you? Simply keep giving me a place to do what I love and a supportive community that encourages me to succeed and I'll be happy. If Squidoo could make me rich so I could retire early, travel, and write to my heart's content, that would be nice too. But I won't hold it against you if it doesn't.

Lens of the Day: Celebrate National Panini Month at Home

Posted: 05 Sep 2013 05:31 AM PDT

draft_lens21227951_137562595900__a___AazWine and cheese parties are sooo yesterday. Now the coolest thing to do is throw a panini party. I’ll have to admit, being the nerd I am, I first heard about paninis while working at a hospital about 10 years ago.

7 Super Scientific Lenses

Posted: 04 Sep 2013 04:22 PM PDT

Chemistry Lapbook

1. Chemistry Lapbook

Finally we are studying chemistry for homeschool science! This year is going to be really fun! We will study the elements, learn about subatomic particles, read biographies of famous chemists, and the best part – make lots of messy experiments! Besides all…

Highlights of Montreal's Science Center

2. Highlights of Montreal’s Science Center

Montreal’s Science Center will keep any child entertained and busy for hours! There are plenty of activities and experiments for a child to do, and all have some educational component included. It’s a great way to spend a half day if you are ever in Montre…

Backyard Fun: How to Build a Ladybug Habitat

3. Backyard Fun: How to Build a Ladybug Habitat

Making a ladybug habitat is educational as well as fun and a great outdoor activity. Why these garden bugs? Ladybugs are real, they are fanciful, they are story characters. Ladybugs fascinated us when we were children and learned our numbers by counting th…

Bicycle Science

4. Bicycle Science

It’s just a bicycle, right? Once you’ve learned to ride, you always remember how. But there is a lot more to a bicycle than just wheels and brakes, though. The whole experience of riding a bike is filled with science and math, not just tricks and travel. I…

Fun Science - How to Grow Crystals

5. Fun Science – How to Grow Crystals

Crystals are a fascinating natural phenomenon and you can with a little time and effort grow some at home. Great for teaching kids about chemistry and geology it’s also fun, even for adults. Most of these methods require only commonly found household chemi…

Fun with Science Water Experiments for Kids

6. Fun with Science Water Experiments for Kids

I spent many an hour as a young boy playing – I mean experimenting with water. The fact is that kids are actually good scientists in the making, they are inquisitive and are always asking questions. There is a surprising amount of science to be learnt from…

Make Poop - Best Ever Science Project on Digestion

7. Make Poop – Best Ever Science Project on Digestion

What could be more fun for kids than this gross science project on digestion that allows them to squeeze a poo out of a stocking. That’s right, they can make poop right in the kitchen! The funny thing is when you suggest this gross science project, kids wa…

No comments:

Post a Comment