Friday, October 11, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Haunted Houses on Squidoo

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 06:33 AM PDT

Don’t you love reading a great spine-tingling tale in October, just before Halloween? Here’s 5 haunted lenses that should do the trick.

The Flavel House

1. The Flavel House

Commissioned by bar pilot Captain George Flavel as a home for him and his family to retire to, the Flavel House was completed in 1886. Built in the Queen Anne style, the mansion was donated to the city of Astoria and established as a museum by the Historic…

Real Haunted House

2. Real Haunted House

Halloween is a time of goblins and scary haunted house tales, There are plenty locales to visit, and for ‘things that go bump in the night’ there are real haunted houses. Unlike the hauntings prepared for Halloween with scary props and screeching…

Scariest Places on Earth

3. Scariest Places on Earth

When you hear the words Scariest Places on Earth, automatically your mind goes to haunted places, ghost, haunted buildings and so on. On Halloween the search engines fill with different urls that have to do with haunted houses, haunted towns, haunted tours…

My Real Life Haunted House

4. My Real Life Haunted House

Most of you may know me from my internet writings on senior citizen caregiving, but, that’s only one facet to my life. You see, I live in a real life haunted house. And, I have the words of my 95 year old Mom, Gertie, to prove it. Mom was the only one…

Lanai City Ghost Stories

5. Lanai City Ghost Stories

Hawaii is beautiful and amazing, but it’s also very mysterious. Most of the islands are said to be very haunted. To my knowledge I have never seen a ghost, but what made me a believer was hearing my parents’ stories when I was a kid. All of their…

The Squidoo Holiday Club Is Off To A GREAT Start

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 06:11 AM PDT

We ran the very first Squidoo Holiday Club quest last week. The topic was ‘Gifts for a Child’ and club members created some really terrific lenses. The winning lens was featured yesterday as Lens of the Day.

Here it is again for anyone who might have missed it followed by a couple of the runners up.

Stop by the quest lens, Recommend a Gift… For a Child Quest to see all of the fun lenses we received.  If you’re shopping for a youngster this year, you don’t want to miss any of the suggested gift items.

The winning lens, Imagination Stretchers for Girls Who Like 18-Inch Dolls,  was created by lensmaster KarenTBTEN.

Imagination Stretchers for Girls Who Like 18-Inch Dolls

 Imagination Stretchers for Girls Who Like 18-Inch Dolls

That’s not my niece’s doll, but it’s her doll’s guitar: the one that I took two buses up to the Seattle suburbs to get for her. Chelsea caught the ‘American Girl’ bug last fall when she was in third grade and a catalog arrived…

I'm Bored - A Fun Book for the Bored Child

 I’m Bored – A Fun Book for the Bored Child

What do you do with the bored child? Ever figure that a book and a potato might hold the key to answering the dilemma of that to do with a bored child? One of the phrases that bothers me the most is hearing the words uttered by my kids (or others) ‘I&…

Gift ideas from Distroller

 Gift ideas from Distroller

Choosing a gift can sometimes prove to be an arduous task. I generally prefer to give something I make for 2 main reasons: a) it’s one- of- a- kind, and b) it shows you spent time and dedication on the present. Of course, it can happen that you don…

Thanks to all who participated!

The Squidoo Holiday Club runs weekly with an exclusive gift-related quest. The lenses are created using the Gift Guide topic and the best lenses will be featured at our Celebrate magazine and on Facebook.

Each week one lens will also be chosen as Lens of the Day.

Would you like to join us? The Squidoo Holiday Club is open to all lensmasters. You’ll find more information about our clubs and how to join them HERE.

Our Squidoo Storytellers Review Their Favorite TV Shows

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 06:10 AM PDT

Our Squidoo Storytellers group on Facebook has been very busy reviewing their favorite TV shows. Check them out!

Curb Your Enthusiasm1. Curb Your Enthusiasm

Think rich people have an easy life? Just start watching episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm and you’ll soon change your mind. After my daughter falls asleep, I try to watch a little ‘Curb’ before hitting the sack. I am thoroughly tickled by -…

The Bridge/Bron /Broen

2. The Bridge/Bron /Broen

I have always loved Scandinavian tv series. Somehow, especially Swedish and Danish are the masters of thriller. The Bridge (Bron) is no exception. US version of the Bridge is just a cheap copy, it does not reach anywhere near this original version. You kno…

Fifty years of on-board Formula One: DVD

3. Fifty years of on-board Formula One: DVD

Formula One history as seen by the drivers themselves I recently read a statistic on the internet that said that the average American watches almost 2,000 hours of television per year. I feel that I’m missing out. I watch about sixty hours a year. And…

I Love Adrian Monk

4. I Love Adrian Monk

Have you met Mr. Monk? If you haven’t and you like a good television mystery, then you’ve really been missing out. Let me tell you about the series and why around our house we love Adrian Monk and the ‘Monk’ TV show. ‘Here’s W…

The King of Queens: The Complete Series on DVD

5. The King of Queens: The Complete Series on DVD

The King and His Court The King of Queens is a popular sitcom that first aired in 1998 and ran until 2007. The show had a number of faithful viewers, including myself, who tuned- in to watch the comical adventures of Doug and Carrie Heffernan. Doug, a heav…

House of Cards - Politics as Usual?6. House of Cards – Politics as Usual?House of Cards, the Netflix series starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, has taken the political drama and turned it on its head. This is no do- gooder West Wing type series. and it’s defininately NOT Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. this is the claws-…

Bones the TV Show, My Guilty Addiction7. Bones the TV Show, My Guilty AddictionI love the TV Show Bones! It’s my guilty addiction, ok I don’t feel guilty about it, I LOVE the show. To me it’s the perfect blend of a crime show, who dunnit, mixed with science, mixed with drama, sprinkled with intricate character developm…

Travel Vicariously with The Amazing Race

8. Travel Vicariously with The Amazing Race

I love watching The Amazing Race because I’ve never been to most of the places featured on the show, and haven’t done most of the things the contestants have to do. In case you’re not familiar with the show – it is a reality show that takes…

Game of Thrones - Third Season

9. Game of Thrones – Third Season

I admit I do get hooked to a TV series quite easily but it has been ages since a TV series had such an impact on me as did the Game of Thrones and the series keeps on getting better and better! 3rd season left me craving for more, it is shocking, at times…

A Modern Take on Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock BBC

10. A Modern Take on Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock BBC

There are many great movies and T. V. shows in the world. So many, in fact, that it often becomes difficult to pick the ‘best’ ones or your favourites. But in the case of Sherlock it does not take a very long pause for me to name it as among my t…

This TV Show Will Give You A Big Bang

11. This TV Show Will Give You A Big Bang

When the first season of The Big Bang Theory television show began, I recorded it on my DVR. That’s my usual procedure with new shows until I find out whether they’re worth setting aside time to watch. I thought it would be so nerdy that I wouldn…

Firefly

12. Firefly

Bring back Firefly! I grew up with a television full of cowboys and a bookcase full of science fiction. It’s no wonder I have a taste for Space Westerns and the best of that genre is the little known series Firefly. Along the frontiers of space the Se…

Introducing MarathonRunning

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 05:36 AM PDT

Say hello to MarathonRunning, Martina in real life. Her goal is to learn new things and to grow as a person and now she’s sharing some of what she’s learning with us here on Squidoo. Please make her feel at home.

How did you find Squidoo? I was looking for some Internet platform that will allow me to write, share my knowledge and earn in the same time.  I did a small enquire and I found that Squidoo have all that and more.

You have several food-related lenses already and you mention lots of other interests in your bio. What’s coming up next on your lensmaking list? I’m doing some canning in last summer months for few years now. This is the reason that I mostly wrote about it. I plan to do few more lenses on that subject, but I can tell for sure what will be next. I will probably write about homemade cookies, but I also have several ideas that relate to living a more conscious life. I plan to write about recycling, healthy eating and similar things.

What can Squidoo do for you? Squidoo is a place that allows me to be creative, help others and learn a lot.

Lens of the Day: Stonehenge: Tour of A World Heritage Site

Posted: 11 Oct 2013 05:02 AM PDT

Dashboard Bug Update

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 04:18 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 10.21.42 AMWe’re still working on the Dashboard bug.

Many of you may still not be able to access your account for creating new lenses and viewing current lenses while logged in, however logged out readers can still view lenses and they are continuing to get traffic.

This bug is not affecting all lensmasters and it can be intermittent for some.

We are actively working on getting things up and running for you and apologize for the inconvenience.

Meet peterb6001, he’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 10 Oct 2013 09:39 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 12.33.38 PMWhat is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Women want men to change but they don’t.
Men don’t think women will change but they do.

When did you make the biggest difference?

When I saved a life I guess.

Who had the most influence on your life?
My children have influenced my life in an unchangeable way.

What was your greatest moment?

Having my sons. or a close second buying my first boat in Spain lol!

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Successful and admired.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?
Their patience with me.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?
Don’t smoke.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Not all people can tell what you are thinking.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

About 18 with my whole life ahead of me.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

Jealousy, I wish it didn’t exist.

Favorite Lens

Coping with your children living abroad

-peterb6001Giant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment