Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Meet hmommers, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 08:56 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 11.51.22 AM
What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Find your passion and go for it. Try to make a living out of something you are really passionate about.

When did you make the biggest difference?

When I am teaching. I love to learn people about graphic design and art. The most rewarding result is someone getting enthusiastic and saying: “Oh wow, I look at things so differently now, I see things I never noticed before”.

Who had the most influence on your life?

I had several great teachers, but if I have to pick one it’s my former colleague. I didn’t finish school for being a graphic designer, but I learned all about the profession from him.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

I admired my parents for not giving up. They had an enormous drive to work hard and get a better life for their children. When they didn’t have the money for something they would try to find ways to make it themselves.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Don’t be so shy and insecure. You are great and you can do it!

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Everyone learns in a different way. There is not just one good way.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

30

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I would like to change greed into an awareness of sharing. There is enough for everybody so it’s not necessary for people to try to rake it all in for themselves.

Favorite Lens

Pictures for your Article

-hmommersGiant Squid on Squidoo

RocketSquid Movie Review Challenge Lenses

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 07:29 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 10.28.40 AMLet’s go to the movies! That’s what the RocketSquids were thinking this week.

Lens of the Day: High Contrast Keyboard For Low Vision Users

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 05:24 AM PDT

Day 1: $100 Challenge Winners

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 04:47 AM PDT

For the next 14 days the RocketSquids and the Giant Squids have the opportunity to participate in a $100 challenge for creating new Product Review Lenses.

The quality of lenses that came for Day 1 were top notch. We had movie, music, book and product reviews that knocked our socks off.

Alas we had to pick just 5 (not an easy task). So here you go. The first 5 $100 winners. Each of these Lensmasters will receive $100 in the November payout. Congratulations! We’ll be back tomorrow with our Day 2 winners.

Good luck and keep building those lenses. Not a RocketSquid? Join here.

Capsters - Bottle Cap Art For Kids

1. Capsters – Bottle Cap Art For Kids

I’m a fan of technology, I own a smartphone and spend a good part of the day on my laptop for work. This past Christmas, We bought our 14 year old daughter an iPad for the holiday. She was super excited that she now had a device of her own and did not…

Jedi Order of Cleanliness

2. Jedi Order of Cleanliness

There are few things better than snuggling up into the warmth of a cotton robe on a cold morning (or a rainy, lounge day). I have one snuggie and three other robes besides this one but this is my go- to for body swaddling comfort! If you’ve read any o…

Melissa and Doug Dollhouse - The Perfect Gift for Big Imaginations!

3. Melissa and Doug Dollhouse – The Perfect Gift for Big Imaginations!

A Dollhouse that will Entertain for Hours (and it’s educational, too! ) If your child enjoys imaginative play and you are looking for a toy that will keep them entertained for more than five minutes, then this doorbell dollhouse by Melissa and Doug is…

The Watercolor Paints Which Brought Out My Passion

4. The Watercolor Paints Which Brought Out My Passion

Grumbacher Academy Watercolor Paints changed the way I viewed painting with watercolors. Before being introduced to them I thought of watercolor paints as strictly those circles of hard paint crammed into a plastic case required for grade school art course…

Rice Washing and Straining Wand

5. Rice Washing and Straining Wand

The Most Innovative Kitchen Tool Yet: I don’t want to sound ridiculous here but this Kotobuki Rice Washing and Straining Wand really has somewhat. saved my life. Well, to be exact, it has made my life so. much. easier. If I had to vote for the most in…

18 Book Reviews You’ll Want To Check Out

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 01:43 PM PDT

The Best Extreme Halloween Book I Found

1. The Best Extreme Halloween Book I Found

I love those pumpkin lamps and have been looking for a book that gives me more ideas on how to carv them. The first thing why I fell in love with the book Extreme Halloween is that Tom Nardone, the author of the book, shares his outrageous pumpkin carvings…

The Blood Sugar Solution: The book that really taught me how to be healthy

2. The Blood Sugar Solution: The book that really taught me how to be healthy

I used to have one of the worst diets any human being has ever had. I’d typically drink fruit juices which actually had almost no fruit juice, and plenty of high fructose corn syrup, and I almost never drank actual water. Either I’d drink these j…

Zombie Fallout: Buy This Book

3. Zombie Fallout: Buy This Book

Are you looking for a scary Halloween novel that is also funny and entertaining? Zombie Fallout will creep you out and make you laugh at the same time. You couldn’t ask for more. Zombie Fallout is the journal of Mike Talbot, ex- Marine, intrepid hero,…

Strong Posion - A Romance wrapped in a Mystery

4. Strong Posion – A Romance wrapped in a Mystery

As the weather gets chilly thoughts turn to curling up with a warm blanket, hot coco and a good book. One of the best books for just such a time is Dorothy Sayers ‘Strong Poison’. It is the 5th book in her Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery series and a d…

Living Out Loud - Kick-start your creativity

5. Living Out Loud – Kick-start your creativity

If you haven’t come across Keri Smith before you’re in for a treat! She’s a ‘rebel’ artist and author who helps and encourages people to find their passion and creativity, while not following the rules. From the titles of some of h…

Ender's Game - playing for the highest stakes

6. Ender’s Game – playing for the highest stakes

I read Ender’s Game for the first time more than two decades ago. I’m probably responsible for hundreds more people reading it – my family owned a bookstore back then. Ender’s Game and its sequel, Speaker For the Dead, were the science ficti…

"Anne of Green Gables" the Movie - Watch as Your #1 Favorite Red-headed Heroine is brought to life!

7. “Anne of Green Gables” the Movie – Watch as Your #1 Favorite Red-headed Heroine is brought to life!

If you love Anne Green Gables the book then you shall love this movie too as it follows the story very well. And Megan Follows does an amazing job bringing Anne to life! Anne really is my favorite red- headed heroine and I believe that many shall have to a…

Writers Market 2014: Deluxe Edition

8. Writers Market 2014: Deluxe Edition

Whether you are trepidatiously reaching a pinky into the writing pool or you’ve just dove head- first into the quit my job to become a writer deep end, this book is for you! I always knew something inside of me wanted, no, needed to be a writer but th…

Austenland Book Review

9. Austenland Book Review

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO TO AUSTENLAND? As a huge fan of Jane Austen movies and books, my antennae perked up when I heard of the new movie, Austenland. However, in my family we have a couple of individuals who will NOT go to see a movie WITHOUT READING THE BOO…

The Handmaid's Tale: Could Fiction Become Reality?

10. The Handmaid’s Tale: Could Fiction Become Reality?

To many who have read this book, The Handmaid’s Tale could be considered a classic. Though written in the 1980′s, you would never know it because of the perfect balance of futurism and realism. This book is a dystopian novel that leaves you right…

Motherless Daughters: Legacy of Loss

11. Motherless Daughters: Legacy of Loss

As many of you know from This Page I lost my mother at a very young age. More than that, my younger sister lost her mother just this year at only 13 years old. It took me over a decade to begin to heal my heart and I only started to care at all because I k…

UFOs: Book details well-documented and totally unexplained phenomena

12. UFOs: Book details well-documented and totally unexplained phenomena

Truth is scarier than fiction, and there are true UFO stories that can’t easily be dismissed. Like most people, I was always skeptical about supposed UFO sightings, thinking they’re likely weather balloons, experimental military aircraft, or some…

Samhuinn on Edinburgh's Royal Mile

13. Samhuinn on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile

Samhuinn Adventure 2010! In 2010 I heard that the Beltane Fire Society did annual Spring and Halloween Pagan festivals. As a Pagan myself I REALLY wanted to go to see the festival for Halloween (or Samhuinn as the Celts call it) in Edinburgh that year. But…

I Am Malala

14. I Am Malala

Have you ever had someone take a bullet for you? While reading Malala Yousafzai’s newly released book, I came to realize the bullet she took to the head last year at this time was a bullet meant for me. That kind of realization is one that demands a r…

UFO's Are 4 Real!

15. UFO’s Are 4 Real!

Do UFO’s and aliens scare you? Have you had any experiences with the unknown? Or do you just love to read really odd and strange stories? ‘True Stories of the Unexplained’ is filled with stories about UFO and alien encounters. Every story is…

"The Gold Cadillac" by Mildred D. Taylor, Book Club Unit Study

16. “The Gold Cadillac” by Mildred D. Taylor, Book Club Unit Study

The goal for Book Club was to have a kid driven discussion, where leaders ‘guided’ the conversation. The short story ‘The Gold Cadillac’ was a great quick read for my 5th and 6th grade group. The book was labeled for ages 8 and up, or t…

Doctor Who Who-ology

17. Doctor Who Who-ology

If I hadn’t already bought Doctor Who Who- ology then the book would definitely be number one on my Christmas Book Wish List! Having read the book from cover to cover I can definitely recommend it as a Christmas Gift for the Doctor Who Fan on your Chr…

A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow: Review

18. A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow: Review

1960 – and England was changing A Kind of Loving was published in 1960 – a time when English society was undergoing a huge change. Until that time,the arts and entertainment were largely under the control of the wealthier elements in society but Stan Barst…

Horrifying Halloween Treats That Are Easy To Make

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 09:36 AM PDT

Looking for some easy recipes to bring fun and frolic to your dining table on Halloween?

Browse through the following 5 lenses to find everything from ghostly cupcakes to simple-to-make spider cookies that the kids will love.

Easy Halloween Cookie Ideas

1. Easy Halloween Cookie Ideas

The easiest way to make Halloween cookies is to use the No Bake Method. In other words, decorate an already baked cookie. It is really easy, it’s fun as can be and you can make your cookie scary or funny with out all the muss and fuss of baking. Look…

Easy Cupcakes for Kids to Make at Halloween - Candy Googly Eyed Monsters â€

2. Easy Cupcakes for Kids to Make at Halloween – Candy Googly Eyed Monsters â€" a Demo

Halloween is such a wonderful way to kick off the holidays, especially for children. I know it sure appeals to the kid in me. Follow along for some super easy decorating ideas for the little ones to use on their very own home baked cupcakes. Baking is a gr…

Fun Popcorn Hands for Halloween

3. Fun Popcorn Hands for Halloween

Don’t you think these Fun Halloween Popcorn Hands, also known as witch hands, are fun treats for all ages. They are a great alternative to handing out candy on Halloween Day. For a healthier treat, make them with whole grain popcorn. You can use these…

Easy Halloween Eyeball Recipes

4. Easy Halloween Eyeball Recipes

Edible eyeballs, yum! There are tons of ways to make Halloween food for kids and eyeballs are just one of them. These creepy eyeballs range from the super simple to the highly detailed. Eyeball recipes can be really healthy and some recipes are a little mo…

How to Make Halloween Ghost Cupcakes

5. How to Make Halloween Ghost Cupcakes

Making these cute Halloween ghost cupcakes was so much fun! The kids and I had a spooky- licious time baking chocolate cupcakes together and then decorating them into these little ghosts with white icing and chocolate chips for a great peanut- free school…

Improve Your Writing Overnight

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 06:00 AM PDT

4721798240_0beb2a46ab_bIt sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it?

We all know that few things in life change overnight, so first things first: If you’re thinking that I’m going offer a “quick fix” or promise a way to take you from 0-60 by tomorrow morning, you’re wrong.

When I say overnight, I don’t mean just one “overnight”. To get the most out of these ideas, you have to commit to them and make this a habit, but the good news is you can start making progress immediately.

 

 

1. Right Now: Choose something to work on

As soon as you’re done reading this, find something to write or type with. For the next 3 minutes, think of subjects, topics or writing prompts you would like to use for future lenses. Keep them short – just a few words will do. Write as many or as few as come to you. Don’t worry if some are better than others. By exercising the power of choice, you are setting an intention to be a better writer, starting with a particular project. The amount of time is less important than the consciousness of your choice, so ask yourself, what is my intention? Choose to be a better writer, today and tomorrow by “committing to what you can accomplish” instead of an abstract goal.

2. Tonight: Read something before bed

You can use reading to become a better writer. You should read for pleasure, but remember to keep an analytical eye open – What can you learn about the craft of writing from what you’re reading? Tonight, before you go to sleep, spend 15-20 minutes reading the work of a good writer. It could be non-fiction, a novel, a newspaper, magazine or Squidoo lens. I recommend you start with this article.

3. Tomorrow: Set aside time to write

When you wake up tomorrow, plan at least 30 minutes of your day for writing. Nothing else. If you spend your time staring at a blank screen, so be it – at least you set aside time for your writing. Small steps towards a goal are important, even when they seem insignificant.  Prioritizing what’s important is proven to improve the quality of the work that you do. By making dedicated time for your writing, you are already behaving more like a writer, regardless of how you actually use the time.

Use these three ideas and use them often and I guarantee your writing will improve. I’m looking forward to seeing what you all create and always remember:

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” - Lao-tzu

Photo Credit: Βethan via Compfight cc

Meet grifts, he’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 05:58 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-15 at 8.49.09 AM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Seeing another person’s point of view is key to understanding them.

When did you make the biggest difference?

I work as a paremedic, and make a big difference in other people’s lives regularly. I think the biggest difference I have ever made is when someone has gone into cardiac arrest and I am able to revive them with CPR, medicine, and defibrillation.

It is an amazing feeling to meet them after you have saved their life. All the happiness and joy in their life is there only because I, and my other EMS partners, were able to save them.

Who had the most influence on your life?

My father has had the biggest influence in my life. He enjoys life, and does what really interests him, instead of bending to popular trends. He really likes to brew his own beer at home and firing old time flintlock rifles. He has an amazing 6 foot longrifle, and has developed his own unique style of beer

What was your greatest moment?

Standing up and accepting responsibility, finally finishing my A.S. degree and starting a career in health care. I had fettered my time through college, and had little motivation. Once I realized that I was going to have a family, and needed to be able to provide for them, I took school seriously – and succeeded.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I would like to have enough money that I am able to have some freedom in my life, instead of being tied down to my job, and having to conform to someone else’s schedule.

I’d really like to not live paycheck to paycheck.

So, whatever road leads me that direction.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My mother for her passion and enthusiasm for everything she does.

My father for his ability to keep calm, interpret, and understand what’s going on.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Take school more seriously, take fun less seriously, and have a lot more!

Get into more trouble.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Small, healthy habits make a big difference once you get older. Quitting smoking now will make breathing much easier when you are 60. Burning fat not and getting fit is much easier before you turn 60, 70, and 80.

The right time for a healthy change is now.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

50. My wife says I age in reverse. When we first met, I acted like a 70 year old. Now I am 30 (chronologically) but act less mature and have more fun. I am both looking forward to aging, because I will be younger(mentally) but I fear the physical degeneration that comes with age.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

Intolerance of other people’s beliefs is the #1 reason problems that escalate into conflicts exist in this world.

Favorite Lens

What if the Viking Colony in America had been successful?

-griftsGiant Squid on Squidoo

Lens of the Day: Five Reasons to Knit Chicken Sweaters

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 04:50 AM PDT

Meet Stephanie36, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 10:46 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 1.27.39 PM

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I wish the world was kinder. I feel that we all need to change our attitudes towards each other. Too often we snap at other people without any just cause, and that makes the person’s day worse. Instead, we could ignore whatever small mistake they made and smile politely. I cringe when I see someone become angry at a store clerk or waitress over something that isn’t their fault or they didn’t mean to do. If everyone took a step back and made an effort to be just a little bit nicer to everyone, life would be much more enjoyable.

Favorite Lens

Ragdoll Cats

-Stephanie36Giant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment