Monday, October 21, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


IMMINENT! “Movie Review” Highlight Reel

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 06:10 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 8.44.59 AM

Are you ready for a good movie? This week the Giants created new Product Review lenses for their favorite movies and they are fantastic!

Each lensmaster featured here also got an IMMINENT! raffle ticket.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Movie that Make You Laugh Out Loud

1. Movie that Make You Laugh Out Loud

Johnny English Reborn is the only movie that makes me laugh out loud in cinema from beginning till the end. I am not Mr. Bean fans and I did not watch the original “Johnny English” in year 2003. I not even know the real name of Mr. Bean although…

It's a Wonderful Life--A Movie for Christmas

2. It’s a Wonderful Life–A Movie for Christmas

Why I Love This Classic Movie It’s a Wonderful Life is one of the all time favorite Christmas movies ever made. I look forward to watching it each year at Christmas time. It provides a great reminder of the profound difference one life can make. If yo…

Movie: Saving Private Ryan

3. Movie: Saving Private Ryan

Why I have chosen this movie? I’ve watched ‘Saving Private Ryan’ countless times over the passed years and I still can’t get enough of it. Each time I see new things that I had not seen before, or maybe forgotten. It’s a movie that…

"Anne of Green Gables" the Movie - Watch as Your #1 Favorite Red-headed Heroine is brought to life!

4. “Anne of Green Gables” the Movie – Watch as Your #1 Favorite Red-headed Heroine is brought to life!

If you love Anne Green Gables the book then you shall love this movie too as it follows the story very well. And Megan Follows does an amazing job bringing Anne to life! Anne really is my favorite red- headed heroine and I believe that many shall have to a…

For The Love Of Cheesy Fantasy Movies of the 80's

5. For The Love Of Cheesy Fantasy Movies of the 80′s

Lord of the Rings, Excalibur, and Conan the Barbarian are all great fantasy movies. The movies this page is about, are not even close and I love them. I love them because some try so hard and fail and others do not try at all and that makes them good. Chee…

Dustin Hoffman, as Rainman

6. Dustin Hoffman, as Rainman

1989. It may be an old year to you, but it was a historical year for the movie industry. It was the year Tom Hanks was nominated for the movie that made his name a household word. It was the year Gene Hackman was nominated for an Oscar for Mississippi Burn…

When A Goddess Came Down to Earth

7. When A Goddess Came Down to Earth

Once upon a time a goddess came down to earth and I went to see her. It’s true! Well, Rita Hayworth was the goddess and it was my favorite movie of all time, called Down To Earth, costarring Larry Parks. She played the Goddess Terpsichore (Goddess of…

Star Trek The Animated Series

8. Star Trek The Animated Series

Looking back there were many cartoons that I watched growing up. And to be honest as an adult. But there was only one that I have wanted to get the whole series of. And that is this one. Let me take you back many years. I remember watching and not knowing…

The Last Unicorn - A Timeless Animated Film

9. The Last Unicorn – A Timeless Animated Film

The Last Unicorn is an animated fantasy film that was released in 1982 featuring the voice talents of Christopher Lee, Jeff Bridges and Angela Lansbury. I can confidently say as an avid fantasy fan that it is something which every lover of the genera shoul…

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe~One of My Favorite Movies!

10. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe~One of My Favorite Movies!

When I was about 7 or 8 years old I fell in love with ‘The Chronicles of Narnia’ books by C. S. Lewis. I had just learned to read and was so excited to read these amazing stories. They were unlike any other books I had ever read before. I especia…

While You Were Sleeping-Sandra Bullock Bill Pullman

11. While You Were Sleeping-Sandra Bullock Bill Pullman

While You Were Sleeping is a fun romantic comedy starring Sandra Bullock, Bill Pullman and Peter Gallagher. In this movie, Bullock plays Lucy, a woman who collects tolls on the subway in Chicago. For a while, Lucy has had a crush on a man she sees daily (…

Top Hat: A favorite classic movie

12. Top Hat: A favorite classic movie

Top Hat: Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers. When I was a little girl, I wanted to be Ginger Rogers. I think it was the frocks. Well, the clothes, the music, the dancing, the Art Deco sets . everything is perfect. The music, the charm and the elegance of…

One Of My Favourite Videos: The Movie Fat Sick And Nearly Dead

13. One Of My Favourite Videos: The Movie Fat Sick And Nearly Dead

Or Juice Your Way To Better Health With The Help Of Fat Sick And Nearly Dead Video My friends know that I’m a health geek, so a friend of mine recommended me to watch this movie. As I was already interested in raw food diet and have a friend who does…

Overboard - A Romantic Comedy

14. Overboard – A Romantic Comedy

Overboard, staring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, is one of my all- time favorite movies that I can watch over and over again, and never tire of it. When I’m in need of a good laugh, this is my number one go to movie. Without giving away the entire mov…

Favorite Christmas Movies For Holiday Family Film Night

15. Favorite Christmas Movies For Holiday Family Film Night

Every Christmas we set aside a day to gather together as a family, lounge about in our pajamas and enjoy Christmas films together. We might engage in some Christmas card writing or gift wrapping, but mostly, we’re all broccoli on the sofa, with the fi…

How Seven Samurai Taught Me About Honour, Loyalty and Poverty

16. How Seven Samurai Taught Me About Honour, Loyalty and Poverty

The Best Movie Ever Seven Samurai is a 1954 movie by Akira Kurosawa, that is often held up by critics as the best Japanese movie ever made perhaps even the best movie of all time. I first saw it when I was an older teenager, growing up in the Eighties, and…

Martian Child - My Favourite Feelgood Movie

17. Martian Child – My Favourite Feelgood Movie

Martian Child – a movie about parenthood, the courage to be yourself, and unconditional love. In the title, I say this is my favourite feelgood movie. Actually, I think it might just be my all- time favourite movie. I reach for it whenever I want to watch…

Death Becomes Her

18. Death Becomes Her

When you’re down and feeling blue, there’s no medicine quite like laughter. A couple of weeks ago, a good friend of mine was going through a rough time in her life. Her father died of cancer about a month ago and two weeks later, her beloved cat…

Ever After: A Cinderella Story for the Hopeless Romantic

19. Ever After: A Cinderella Story for the Hopeless Romantic

Ever After: A Cinderella Story is truly a story that you can cuddle up with and watch over and over again. Perfect for a chilly night, or those days when you just need a pick- me- up with a glass of wine. This movie will pull you into a place deep in histo…

Jurassic Park - My Favorite Horror/Suspense Movie of All Time

20. Jurassic Park – My Favorite Horror/Suspense Movie of All Time

Hasn’t everyone at some point wondered what it would be like to see a real, live dinosaur? In my favorite, watch- a- hundred times movie, Jurassic Park, we not only get to meet real dinosaurs, we’re also treated to edge- of- your- seat suspense,…

Everything Is Illuminated - The DVD

21. Everything Is Illuminated – The DVD

It’s hard to categorized this movie. It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s history, it’s contemporary, it’s cryptic. We enjoy foreign films and this one is in Russian with English subtitles. My husband started his career many years ago a…

The Woman in Black - A Movie Review

22. The Woman in Black – A Movie Review

A Recipe for Terror Take an imposing and decrepit mansion sitting on a spit of land in the cold seas of northern England, surrounded by brackish marsh and cut off from the rest of the world at least twice a day at high tide. The owner of the estate has rec…

Love Actually is a Modern Christmas Classic

23. Love Actually is a Modern Christmas Classic

Every year, there are certain Christmas traditions that I love and look forward to. Of course, there’s cutting and trimming the tree, baking cookies, and wrapping presents, but most people also have a favorite Christmas movie. For me, that movie is Lo…

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

24. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas

Jack is the Pumpkin King, the ruler of the world of Halloween and it is his job to terrify all mortals along with the residents of his town. But there is a problem. Having just returned from yet another Halloween of scaring mortals Jack is burnt out. He…

Endhiran (Robot) Movie Review

25. Endhiran (Robot) Movie Review

One of the things we love about our local library is its amazing audio/visual section. We love to browse through the categories, searching for anything that catches our eyes and, hopefully, find something we consider worth buying for our own collection at…

"Witness" Takes Me Back to Amish Country

26. “Witness” Takes Me Back to Amish Country

Growing up in Ohio, my parents used to take the family on car rides to Amish country. We would stop to buy apple butter, maple syrup, or handmade wooden toys. The air was fresh and crisp. The clop clop of horses pulling black carriages reminded me of a Dic…

The Bishop's Wife - My Favorite Movie

27. The Bishop’s Wife – My Favorite Movie

The Bishop’s Wife is a Christmas movie classic that is very near and dear to my heart and I can honestly say that it is truly my favorite movie of all time. It is not the usual movie I go for but the story line and casting is so wonderful you cannot h…

O Brother, Where Art Thou? Review

28. O Brother, Where Art Thou? Review

The Coen brothers can do no wrong. They write, direct and produce quality movies that bring a sharp wit and edge to the American story. To list just a few: Barton Fink, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men. The film, O Brother, Where Art Thou? i…

Cinderella Man- A Movie That Deeply Inspired Me

29. Cinderella Man- A Movie That Deeply Inspired Me

I didn’t want this movie to end! Of course, it isn’t a new movie anymore, but maybe that is a testimony in itself, that it has remained one of the best movies since it was made in 2005. It stars Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger who performed ext…

Downfall-Der Untergang

30. Downfall-Der Untergang

I have always been interested of world war II and I have seen some movies of it. Downfall is one of the greatest, if not the greatest movie made of world war II and the last days of Adolf Hitler. Downfall left me utterly speechless. Downfall made me cry. A…

The Ghost and the Darkness: True story and the scariest movie I've ever seen

31. The Ghost and the Darkness: True story and the scariest movie I’ve ever seen

I saw this movie in the theaters in Fall of 1996 when I was a senior in high school. This amazing movie is incredible in so many ways, and it’s based on a true story that occurred in Kenya in 1898. The mighty British Empire at that time owned large po…

Howl's Moving Castle - Miyazaki's Masterpiece

32. Howl’s Moving Castle – Miyazaki’s Masterpiece

Have you ever watched a movie and thought it was better than the book? Hayao Miyazaki’s 2004 film titled Howl’s Moving Castle is just that for me. I can hardly describe the feeling of joy I have when watching this movie, but I will try! My husban…

Blast from the Past is Just That!

33. Blast from the Past is Just That!

I’m a big movie fan and have several movies I could watch again and again. Blast from the Past is one of my favorites to watch just about any time. I never tire of this clever storyline and great acting! The premise of this light- hearted but oh- so-…

Arthur starring Dudley Moore, Liza Minnelli, and Sir John Gielgud

34. Arthur starring Dudley Moore, Liza Minnelli, and Sir John Gielgud

When I was in college, I’d sometimes spend an evening with my best friend Ema. (Spelled with one ‘m,’ Ema means mother in Estonian). Her all- time favorite comedy was Arthur, the 1981 movie starring Dudley Moore. Apparently there was a remak…

Invincible the Movie

35. Invincible the Movie

. it had never been done before! We grew up within a stones throw distance of Philadelphia and remember well 1976 and the Bi- Centennial celebration. Not only do we remember it, but we were a part of it. The culture of “South Philly” is unique an…

Why I Love the Moulin Rouge | Review of the 2001 Movie Version

36. Why I Love the Moulin Rouge | Review of the 2001 Movie Version

The 2001 Moulin Rouge movie is one of my all- time favorites. When I went to see it at the cinema (age 13), the movie had just been released and the screening was packed. It is the only time I have been to a cinema and witnessed any audience participation;…

Crazy Love Works in Silver Linings

37. Crazy Love Works in Silver Linings

Not since Benny & Joon have I been as taken with a movie whose main characters are mentally ill, quirky and eccentric as I was when I watched Silver Linings Playbook. Honestly, when I first saw it advertised, I really wasn’t that interested. I…

Give the Priceless Gift of Laughter with This Is Spinal Tap

38. Give the Priceless Gift of Laughter with This Is Spinal Tap

The late, great film critic Roger Ebert called This Is Spinal Tap ‘one of the funniest movies ever made. ‘ This clearly is an understatement and I can only guess at why he chose to hedge his bets. I’ve watched this hilarious rockumentary sat…

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters Reviewed

39. Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters Reviewed

I had to watch Hansel and Gretel :Witch Hunters twice just to give it a proper review. This movie definitely has some layers too it. I’m not sure if that’s something they intended though. On the surface this movie is a cheesy over the top action…

Memento: A Movie You Won't Forget

40. Memento: A Movie You Won’t Forget

One of film director Christopher Nolan’s earliest movies has since become a classic in its genre. Possibly better known for his directorship of several of the recent Batman adventures, Nolan’s wonderful 2000 film Memento is based upon a short sto…

Ivanhoe - The 1982 Version

41. Ivanhoe – The 1982 Version

The early 80s was an interesting time for those who had access to video recording equipment. However, if your parents hadn’t yet invested in a system, you had to rely on catching television movies as they were released or hope for a re- run. Even if y…

WallE and the World

42. WallE and the World

This past week I was designated as the ‘caregiver’ for my three darling grandchildren, along with my favorite other half. Now we haven’t been actively parenting anyone for many years, so this challenge was, shall we say, just a little daunti…

10 Things I Hate About You - The Best Teen Romance Movie Ever Made

43. 10 Things I Hate About You – The Best Teen Romance Movie Ever Made

It was when I saw this movie when I decided I am going to marry Heat Ledger, naturally I was a teen when the movie first came out and I have overgrown the desire to marry him since. But he became one of my favourite actors, both for his sexy charm and his…

Young Frankenstein: An "Abby Normal" Interpretation of the Classic Horror Story

44. Young Frankenstein: An “Abby Normal” Interpretation of the Classic Horror Story

Slapstick Spooky One of my favorite childhood memories involves going to the local drive- in theater with my folks and siblings in our station wagon. We would watch John Wayne westerns, James Bond thrillers and other movies. I always wore my pajamas, and m…

Baby's Day Out Movie: A Review

45. Baby’s Day Out Movie: A Review

My passion for Comedy Movies had started since childhood. I just wanted to entertain myself and if a movie cannot make me laugh, then it cannot be my favorite one. In fact, I’ve watched a lot of Bollywood Comedy Movies in the past and also Three Men A…

Tripping the (Pacific) Rim

46. Tripping the (Pacific) Rim

Pacific Rim stars Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy) & Idris Elba (Thor as Heimdall) The Pacific Coast is at war with large beings from the seas beneath the earth’s crust. That side of the world (at least) is in ruins and the military and so on…

Star Trek: Generations of Adventure

47. Star Trek: Generations of Adventure

At the age of fifty, I have seen many incarnations of Star Trek. Like all fans of the original series, I evaluate any subsequent series or movie based on its faithfulness to the original lore. When I watched the new Star Trek movie, I was prepared to be hi…

Gravity - The Movie - One Long Thrill Ride

48. Gravity – The Movie – One Long Thrill Ride

So it’s date night. What’s a good movie for a date night? Gravity of course. There’s lot’s to say about the movie but it’s still too new to even have a DVD release yet. Sandra Bullock has been a favorite of mine since Speed and Mis…

The Lake House - A Romance That Transcends Time and Space

49. The Lake House – A Romance That Transcends Time and Space

The Lake House, starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves, is my favorite modern romantic film. The funny thing is I never saw it promoted when it was being shown in cinema’s. It was only after a friend recommended this movie to me that I decided to wa…

Men in Black 3: A Good Time with Time Travel

50. Men in Black 3: A Good Time with Time Travel

‘Fun’ That’s the word that came to mind over and over as I watched Men in Black 3- otherwise known as ‘MIB3′ – starring, like twice before, Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as secret government agents tasked with monitoring alien act…

Funniest Movie Ever Made

51. Funniest Movie Ever Made

Peter Falk and Alan Arkin in The In- Laws I love great movies and that rarest of all finds, a genuinely funny movie with laughs end- to- end with real staying power. The best ever made is The In- Laws. I’m talking about the original, starring Peter Fa…

An Interview with the Vampire

52. An Interview with the Vampire

I am a sucker for a good vampire movie and An Interview with the Vampire is a horror movie that I can watch again, and again and again! Remembering how good Anne Rice’s original book was, I went to the cinema with some trepidation when this came out s…

A Christmas Story

53. A Christmas Story

If you asked people for the best film of all time or their favorite, you are likely to hear the classics like Casablanca, The Godfather, Gone With the Wind, or Raging Bull. For me the best movie ever made is A Christmas Story. This is the one movie that I…

Unexpectedly Good Rendition of Tolkien's The Hobbit

54. Unexpectedly Good Rendition of Tolkien’s The Hobbit

Long a lover of everything J. R. R. Tolkien, I had read and loved ‘The Hobbit’ many times. Even reading it aloud to my children and doing a unit study for a homeschool project center on this intriguing fantasy. And as you well know about such peo…

My Favorite Movie of all Time?

55. My Favorite Movie of all Time?

What is your favorite movie of all time? This question is a very difficult one to answer. There are so many types of movies, how do you pick your favorite comedy over your favorite action? Well I did. I picked a movie that has elements of every genre. Avat…

The Beauty of Tremors (plus a Graboid Survival Guide)

56. The Beauty of Tremors (plus a Graboid Survival Guide)

Before I start with the lowdown on Graboids, I’d like to state how much I adore Tremors. It was the first movie that my husband and I discovered we were mutually obsessed with when we started dating. Nothing says love quite like nasty worm monsters th…

The Princess Bride Movie Phenomenon

57. The Princess Bride Movie Phenomenon

Our favorite family movie of all time has to be The Princess Bride. This classic movie icon came out in 1987 before my kids were born and they grew up with this enduring fairy tale of true love, action, sword fights, giants, pirates, princes, revenge, stra…

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

58. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

Right off I have to say, I adore the acting of both Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor, so this was going to be a tough movie to not like, but I always try to be fair. I’m a tough critic (okay, not really ~ I adore movies and can’t stand television),…

Day 6: $100 Challenge Winners

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 05:31 AM PDT

Good morning! We’ve got 5 more winners today! Are you on the list?

Each of these Lensmasters will receive $100 in the November payout. Congratulations! We'll be back tomorrow with our Day 7 winners.

Good luck and keep building those lenses. Not a RocketSquid? Join here.

Little Tikes Wagon

1. Little Tikes Wagon

The little tikes explorer wagon has got to be one of the best and most durable outdoor toys for kids! When my twin daughters were born back in 1995 I had to make some hard choices. I had always worked outside the home; my son was 6 years old and had been c…

Dallas Season 9: The Dream Season, No Bobby Ewing No Problem!

2. Dallas Season 9: The Dream Season, No Bobby Ewing No Problem!

In my own case, I realize hindsight is 20/20, and many a critic and die hard fan will point to season 9 of Dallas as the point when the show emphatically jumped the shark. The shark jump in essence happens at the end of the season 9 when Patrick Dempsey (B…

How the Wii Fit Plus Helps Me Fight Middle Age!

3. How the Wii Fit Plus Helps Me Fight Middle Age!

It Started with A Rude Surprise! I just recently turned fifty years old, which feels a lot like forty except a few things on my body are slowly deteriorating: I definitely need reading glasses, my joints have started to ache, I’ve lost some flexibilit…

Guitar Stands

4. Guitar Stands

A perfect gift for guitarists, cellists and French horn players We are the proud owners of 4 guitars and a full sized cello, which is wonderful, apart from the fact that we live in a small house! Our instruments have been so spoiled because they used to si…

This Granny Loves Adam Lambert

5. This Granny Loves Adam Lambert

I am a 61 year old grandmother and I am not ashamed to admit it. I love Adam Lambert! I discovered the talent of Adam by watching the 2009 America Idol show. My husband and I discovered that if a singer was boring, we tended to talk to each other during th…

Lens of the Day: Opportunities for Play, Inside and Out

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 05:18 AM PDT

Halloween History Lenses

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 03:20 PM PDT

As our countdown to Halloween continues, let’s explore some of the interesting history behind Halloween.

Halloween and Bats! The History of Halloween Bats

1. Halloween and Bats! The History of Halloween Bats

The History of Halloween Bats: Think of Halloween and which images comes to mind? Pumpkins, Witches, Black Cats – and Bats! The black, winged shape of bats flying through the dusky night sky are eternally linked to Halloween. It may have started long ago,…

The History & Origin of Halloween in Scotland

2. The History & Origin of Halloween in Scotland

A fun and interesting look at the History and origin of Halloween in Scotland. Although now celebrated throughout the world, Halloween originated from Scotland and Ireland, and dates back more than two thousand of years to the Celtic (K- eltic) Samhainn fe…

Disguised: The History of Halloween Costumes

3. Disguised: The History of Halloween Costumes

It is an agonizing decision for many each year: what to wear on Halloween. From homemade costumes to expensive, mass- manufactured pieces there seems no limit to the choices available to modern- day trick- or- treaters or adults looking to go to a Hallowee…

The Origins and History of Halloween

4. The Origins and History of Halloween

Trick or treating, dressing in costumes and masks and jack o’ lanterns. All these customs originate from ancient traditions. Just why do we ask for candy on October 31st? Why don ghoulish masks and scary outfits? What is it with all those black cat…

No comments:

Post a Comment