Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Meet sousababy, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 07:51 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 10.25.23 AMWhat is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Try not to worry about “fitting in” or following the crowd – we have lots of those folks already. What we need in the world is heroes, trailblazers, and people who make the world a better place. If you can’t be one of those people, at least support someone who IS trying. They’re easy to spot – they’re the ones that make you say to yourself, “Gee, I wouldn’t do THAT!”

When did you make the biggest difference?

When I risked my own safety to ensure others were well cared for (during the Storm of the Century in 1993).

Who had the most influence on your life?

My best friend Ema (who passed away). She loved me for all of my faults, anyways.

What was your greatest moment?

Greatest moment? I don’t know for sure. Perhaps, I had the courage to continue on (in a few areas of my life) where others may have “given up” – or is that also know as being stubborn?

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I haven’t grown up – yet.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My parents, in many respects, taught me what NOT to do as a parent. My father knew me as a person, at least. My mother was too addicted to valium to care.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Everything is going to be alright. You’ll survive.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Do the best you can, in the time you have – and then leave it at work. Home is suppose to be a sanctuary, a place where love lives and where you are rejuvenated to take on another day in the (sometimes) big bad world.

What was the most important thing your grandmother/grandfather/grandparents ever taught you?

I never met my grandfathers. And there was only one grandmother I visited on Manitoulin Isle as a child. Another grandma (from Poland) was “a fighter.” I sensed my grandmothers loved me more than my own mother – but I didn’t have much time to get to know them. I think unconditional love is soooo important (and what most grandparents provide).

Share a moment that made you laugh out loud.

Oh, there are sooooo many moments that make me laugh out loud. I love comedians and feel they are undervalued. At the heart of every good comedian is an angry person who sees many injustices in the world, imo. I wish I were funny (I try).

I suppose a moment that made me laugh out loud was when I became known for slipping a whoopie cushion under peoples’ bottoms (when folks returned from the bathroom) at a fancy dinner party. Everyone became kind of nervous to sit down (and friends of mine kept passing the whoopie cushion around).

Even after I reassured folks that the whoopie cushion was “put away” – they still had that look of apprehension on their face when they began to sit. Oh, it all made me laugh out loud.

Favorite Lens

Life Changing Quotes (that you never heard before)

-sousababyGiant Squid on Squidoo

Day 7: $100 Challenge Winners

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 05:25 AM PDT

Lucky Day Number 7! These 5 lensmasters will get $100 in their November payout for making a super new Product Review lens. Want to join in the fun? Join the RocketSquids and make a new Product Review lens.

Add a Fairy to the Garden

1. Add a Fairy to the Garden

This small sprite, named Fiona, now lives in my garden in New Hampshire. I didn’t start out planning a fairy garden, it just evolved. The yard is wooded with huge pines, maples, and oaks towering over our cottage. They create lots of shade which limit…

Is That Pony for Real?

2. Is That Pony for Real?

Is this toy pony real? My younger niece, who received one for Christmas last year, adamantly affirmed that it was. She continued to affirm this even when her sister, four years her senior and a big third grader, noted several little known facts about the B…

Why Their First Horse Grooming Kit Is More Than Just a Gift

3. Why Their First Horse Grooming Kit Is More Than Just a Gift

With Christmas just around the corner I was beginning to wonder what on Earth could I get for my daughter. I wanted something a little bit special to go along side the usual gifts and trinkets you buy at this time of year, as she is growing up so fast. You…

Blackberry Playbook Tablet

4. Blackberry Playbook Tablet

I have wanted an iPad since the first commercial aired but I knew there would be no way I would get one because of the price point. Regardless I was resistant to any alternatives. This past Christmas on Boxing Day my husband came home with a Blackberry Pla…

We are a Canon PowerShot Digital Elph Camera Family!

5. We are a Canon PowerShot Digital Elph Camera Family!

You’ll quickly see why we’re sold on the Canon PowerShot Elph camera once you look at my photo gallery and the video that I made (below). This little fella marks the THIRD and (in my opinion) best Canon Elph camera we have had since being introdu…

Lens of the Day: Secret Recipes from a Canadian Fishing Guide

Posted: 22 Oct 2013 04:46 AM PDT

3 Ghoulish Beverages for Halloween

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 01:43 PM PDT

Are you looking for something spooky to serve alongside of those Witchy Fingers, Zombie Brains Deviled Eggs  and all of the other ghastly goodies you’ll be eating on Halloween?

Stop by these 3 lenses to find some ghoulishly good beverages that are sure to please.

Easy & Spooky Halloween Punch Recipes

1. Easy & Spooky Halloween Punch Recipes

Halloween parties are a great way to celebrate Halloween in a safe and fun way. Of course, you’ll want to create just the right spooky atmosphere for your party. A simple way to do this is with the food and drinks you serve! Why not create your atm…

Easy Halloween Punch Recipes

2. Easy Halloween Punch Recipes

Brew up a bewitching batch of punch for your haunted Halloween bash! Whether you want a creepy and crawly or a fun and festive bowl of goodness for you party, you’ll find a delicious and easy recipe on this lens. Plus you’ll find a video on how t…

Top 10 Halloween Drink Recipes

3. Top 10 Halloween Drink Recipes

So there you are at the annual Halloween party mingling around the drink table. There are several ways to complete this scenario, however, I think the best one involves a glowing ghoulish punch bowl full of intriguingly delicious spiked punch, being served…

Meet d-artist, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 11:31 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-21 at 2.24.56 PMWhat is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Use common sense, don’t hate it’s a wasted energy that can affect your whole life, from health to happiness.

When did you make the biggest difference?

I only know of people that have told me, that something that I said years ago to them had an affect in their lives to the positive.

Who had the most influence on your life?

Jesus

What was your greatest moment?

Being Born Again! hard to explain unless you have experienced it…it changed my life.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I’m past growing up, I’m reverting back to being a child…Ha Ha

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My mother lived to be 60 a short time in my life…she was beautiful and vivacious, talented in many ways, Loving and Giving, nothing ever stopped her from doing what she wanted, she survived WWII even giving birth to me and my twin sister and enduring the circumstances of war. Dad died after the war and mom bravely brought us to this country, rearing twin daughters by herself and starting a new life.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

I did pretty good, mom was a disciplinarian and she instilled the fear in me to respect her and never to disappoint her…so no advice there.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

I once worked for a large company as an assistant art director. A new boss came in after I declined the position. He hated me because I was German…he fired me because he could. Nowadays this type of “prejudice” can be fought in the work place…prejudice is a sick way of thinking, and being on the receiving end is not fun.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

Between 30 and 40.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

HATE! meaning (intolerance, prejudice and not using common sense, etc)

Favorite Lens

that’s ME…the last Sun-Maid Raisin Girl

-d-artistGiant Squid on Squidoo

Introducing momto2bees

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 11:15 AM PDT

Meet lensmaster momto2bees. She’s a writer and a mom who’s trying to keep up with her kids in the “techie” arena. We’re very glad she chose Squidoo to help her with that. Please visit her lenses and say hello!

How did you find Squidoo? I occasionally look for ways to earn money from home through writing and I have worked for Amazon Mechanical Turk doing small writing jobs in the past. An article I read about earning money from home mentioned Squidoo. I had heard about Squidoo but I had no idea what it really was until I checked it out for myself. Even though I realize that I will probably not make much money through my lenses, I really enjoy being able to express my opinions and likes through Squidoo.

You have a wonderful potpourri of lenses so far (vanilla scented, of course). What’s coming up next on your lensmaking list? I have quite a few ideas for future lenses. I have a 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter, so I am really going to start working on lenses themed around them and their activities. I'm also an older mom, so I have a few ideas about raising kids when you're someone my age…dealing with such a big generation gap, plus their increasing hormones and my declining hormones in one house. HA! J I want to make a lens about what it was like growing up in the 70's and the kinds of music and shows from that era. I have ideas about places my family vacations regularly, creating lenses themed specifically for those places, with links, etc. A lot of my lenses will focus on my faith as a Christian woman, my values, my feelings about our world politically and socially and where we are headed in a biblical sense, so you will see some more potentially controversial topics pop up as well. I LOVE that Squidoo is a platform that allows members to share whatever they want…even if it's not politically correct.

What can Squidoo do for you? Any advice you have for me would be wonderful. I am literally just figuring it all out as I go. I have no idea how some of the modules work. I am really a geek when it comes to technology and linking things together. I am enjoying putting the lenses together and having fun, because I love to write and create.

7 Tried and True Favorite Toys You Might Like Too!

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 09:20 AM PDT

If you’re looking for a gift for a child, this list of 7 favorite toys is a great place to start!  Take a look.

What is Ergonomic, Break-Resistant and Vibrantly Coloured?

1. What is Ergonomic, Break-Resistant and Vibrantly Coloured?

Triangular Coloured EcoPencils! How many times have you seen a child’s joy turn to frustration when they sharpen a pencil, only to find that the lead keeps falling out? Most pencils are cylindrical and therefore, frequently roll off the desk. Within n…

Why Their First Horse Grooming Kit Is More Than Just a Gift

2. Why Their First Horse Grooming Kit Is More Than Just a Gift

With Christmas just around the corner I was beginning to wonder what on Earth could I get for my daughter. I wanted something more than the usual gifts and trinkets you buy at this time of year, as she is growing up so fast. You always want to give them so…

Classic Etch A Sketch Magic Screen

3. Classic Etch A Sketch Magic Screen

Do you remember Etch- a- Sketch? Yes? Me too! Lots of happy childhood memories, sat cross legged on the floor with a ready and waiting blank canvas whenever you wanted. The sense of accomplishment felt in mastering the control knobs, the pride in sharing d…

Woody and Jessie: The Perfect Stocking Stuffers

4. Woody and Jessie: The Perfect Stocking Stuffers

The joy you get when seeing your children excited and happy during Christmas time is the best present a parent can get. Although we balanced our kids toys with non- commercial ones like wooden blocks or building sets, we would also get them toys based on c…

Pinkie Cooper In London Doll

5. Pinkie Cooper In London Doll

Pinkie Cooper and the Jet Set dolls are new for 2013 and are turning out to be one of the seasons hottest toys. They are created by Bryant Carter, who gave us Bratz dolls, and distributed by The Birdge Direct. Pinkie is a Cocker Spaniel dog and is named af…

Dr. Seuss Happy Birthday To You Books and ABC Alligator Toys for Special Girls and Boys

6. Dr. Seuss Happy Birthday To You Books and ABC Alligator Toys for Special Girls and Boys

Happy Birthday To You (Liam) and ABC Alligator from Dr. Seuss (Grandma too) Yes, this gift of a web page is personalized for my grandson, Liam, on his 3rd and happy birthday! But of course, these items found on the Dr. Seuss book shelf and in the plush pil…

Playing with Wacky: The Magic Worm Toy

7. Playing with Wacky: The Magic Worm Toy

Excited to know what’s in store for you at Santa’s Toy Workshop this year? Well, Surprise! The Magic Worm Toy, Wacky, is on the stock pile of wonderful gifts, ready to pave its way into your hearts. Wacky sure is a worm, but it definitely isn…

No comments:

Post a Comment