Thursday, October 3, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Food Club Quest Winner and Runners Up

Posted: 03 Oct 2013 08:51 AM PDT

foodclub logoAs anyone who voted can tell you, the Squidoo Food Club Quest received oodles of awesome recipe lenses in September.

The results are in from our Club vote and this month’s winning lens is Mom’s Scalloped Potatoes Recipe created by awelldressedbullet. In addition to being today’s Lens of the Day, awelldressedbullet will receive a $25.00 amazon.com gift card.

Below you’ll find a quick link to the winning lens followed by 7 yummy runners up lenses.
You’ll find all of the other deliciousness by visiting our September Quest lens.

Want to join the club?  Visit All About Squidoo Clubs to learn how.

 

Mom's Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

 Mom’s Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

Let me tell you, as a kid, I absolutely hated scalloped potatoes, I mean, I really hated them. I didn’t like the way they looked or smelled, I couldn’t even take one bite (although mom did try to get me to LOL). And poor mom, anytime she made the…

Banana Oatcakes with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon

1. Banana Oatcakes with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon

I love banana pancakes, but they sure don’t love me. All those refined carbohydrates leave me feeling tired, sluggish, and cranky. I knew there had to be a way to get my banana pancake fix in a healthier way. I started thinking about what would increa…

Mushroom Recipes to Celebrate National Mushroom Month

2. Mushroom Recipes to Celebrate National Mushroom Month

September is National Mushroom Month, and in honor of mushrooms I’d like to share a few of my favorite recipes with you. At any given time if you open my refrigerator you’ll more than likely be able to see at least one or two types sitting there…

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

3. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Well, this was a challenge but I refused to be beaten by a cabbage. If you’ve read my other recipes – and there are lots – you’ll know that he does the shopping and I do the cooking. This can result in some rather strange, but inventive, meals so…

10 Uses for Overripe Bananas

4. 10 Uses for Overripe Bananas

Forgotten to eat up those bananas before they went black and spotted again? Don’t despair – here are 10 excellent ways to use overripe bananas, so you’ll never have to throw any away again! If you often find your banana tree full of black and spe…

Blueberry Ginger Sassie is a Sugar-Free Gourmet Sauce & Jam

5. Blueberry Ginger Sassie is a Sugar-Free Gourmet Sauce & Jam

I have developed a variety of recipes for gourmet jams and sauces. This is my latest one you’ll want to make. Blueberries are enhanced with the tangy taste of fresh ginger, a squeeze of lemon, and a couple of whole cloves. My preference is for a sassi…

Homemade Potato Soup

6. Homemade Potato Soup

I am Soup Queen, hear me roar! Okay, that’s a self imposed moniker, but when my sixteen year old stepson volunteered to peel potatoes if I would make him potato soup I knew I had arrived. Yes, I stood a little taller and smiled, of course I’ll ma…

National Guacamole Day

7. National Guacamole Day

I have already established that I love Avocados in my The Avocado article in Squidoo’s GoodVeg, but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to speak on this national celebration of Guacamole. Not to be confused with National Play- Doh Day for the kids…

Big thanks to all who participated this month either by creating a new lens or by voting! We appreciate you.

Meet davestone13, he’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 03 Oct 2013 06:57 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 4.09.30 PM

When did you make the biggest difference?

In my 30s, I was lucky enough to fall into a chance to start a business (within a larger organization) that let me provide good pay jobs for a staff made up completely people with handicaps. By the time I left, I had 60 people working under me, including supervisors (also handicapped), some working their first job ever and some the first person in their family to have a job. It was something I never dreamed or planned on doing but what a ride!

Who had the most influence on your life?

That’s hard, but among many, I’d have to say my father. The man was rock, and I absorbed from him a confidence about surviving all storms with my head up.

What was your greatest moment?
That’s another tough one, but I’d say it was a quiet moment by myself when I sat looking out at a field of wild grasses, one morning in Pennsylvania, nobody around at all, and I had my closest feel for the vibrant interconnectedness of everything. I felt I was in communion with whatever it is we call God.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Immature, if possible.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My parents were wildly different, with interests and personal qualities that weren’t at all alike. How they ever got married and had five of us I can’t guess. For my Dad, it was courage. He faced challenges that would crush other men, and for my Mom, just the opposite. Her free-spirited love of life was thrilling and magnetizing.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Go for what you want with all your heart.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Learn to play fair and be flexible. You may meet the most and the least compatible people in your life. Difference is never worth starting a war over.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I don’t know. I know I’m the same age in my heart as I was at twenty. My mind and body seem to have moved on.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

The end of poverty and the hunger that results.

Favorite Lens

Scientific Proof, Life After Death

-DaveStone13Giant Squid on Squidoo

Introducing terilass

Posted: 03 Oct 2013 06:28 AM PDT

Today we’re pleased to introduce terilassLooking at the picture, you might have guessed that she has an interest in learning about her ancestors. But genealogy isn’t her only hobby. After you’ve read our interview, be sure to check out her lenses to see what else she’s been writing about.

What brought you to Squidoo? My son suggested squidoo to me when I decided to give up my website but still wanted to participate on the web. I gave Squidoo a try and found it a perfect fit from the layout to the community.

You have lots of crafty lenses so far and you’ve been busy with quest topics, too. What’s coming up next on your lensmaking list? With the holidays coming up I am sure more craft projects will pop into my head and show up on Squidoo. I am working on a few new genealogy concepts as well. Of course I will continue to do the quests because they push me to write outside my comfort zone which is important for growth.

What can Squidoo do for you? I was taught to write the old fashioned way where the life was sucked out of each sentence by a ton of rules. I am hoping that the Squidoo community can help me shed those archaic constraints and show me how it is done with the new freedoms. I have already learned a lot but still have a few old school notions to shake. I feel Squidoo is the perfect place to learn, polish and publish internet style writing with a community that encourages and supports each other in a positive manner.

Lens of the Day: Mom’s Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

Posted: 03 Oct 2013 05:07 AM PDT

RocketSquids Celebrate Autumn

Posted: 02 Oct 2013 03:31 PM PDT

Last week our RocketSquids made lenses about fall activities. Now that it’s October, we thought you’d enjoy checking them out.

Pear Mincemeat Pie

1. Pear Mincemeat Pie

When fall arrives, it is time to think about preserving various fruits, which can later be made into delicious pies. My favorite pie is mincemeat, but it can only be purchased from the bakery section around Christmas time. It’s just okay, but does not tast…

Celtics Hoodie

2. Celtics Hoodie

Cedric does not like the hood part of the hoodie fleece, so for him I omit it. It gets real cold here and for the most part my Yorkie’s love the fall weather. They however do not have the extra layer for fur that insulates most dogs for the winter months….

Autumn Festivals: National Apple Harvest Festival

3. Autumn Festivals: National Apple Harvest Festival

October is nearly here. Children have settled back into the routine of school. The Mid- Atlantic nights are becoming cooler, and the days slightly shorter. I dread winter, but there are still some things to do before the snow and cold hits. Each year, one…

Quick and simple Fall Floral arrangements

4. Quick and simple Fall Floral arrangements

Fall is a beautiful time of the year that ties the end of summer to the excitement of the holiday season. One of my favorite ways to create that Autumn feel here in Florida is with arrangements of fall flowers and leaves.

She's Hooked - Easy Crochet Cowl Scarves with Pattern and Yarn reviews

5. She’s Hooked – Easy Crochet Cowl Scarves with Pattern and Yarn reviews

I’ve found that I tend to prefer cowl style scarves more than rectangular ones as they are comfortable to wear, stylish, and do not have ends that stray away from their place. The best time of year to make scarves, in my opinion, is the early fall. Before…

Make your own NaNoWriMo survival kit

6. Make your own NaNoWriMo survival kit

My favourite autumn activity is writing a novel. I know, I’m such a geek. NaNoWriMo, which takes place in November, is the highlight of the year for me. A whole month of absolute madness. The lines between imagination and reality absolutely blurred, since…

McConnells Mill State Park

7. McConnells Mill State Park

McConnell’s Mill State Park is located along the Slippery Rock Creek in Lawrence County Pennsylvania. We grew up in New Castle Pennsylvania just about a 15 minute drive from McConnell’s Mill. My wife Fran and I spent many days there walking the trails…

My painting journey

8. My painting journey

My husband and I bought our first home in July. My brain has been working on renovations ever since. That’s when it hit me, I don’t even know how to paint a wall! So here is my journey while painting my guest bedroom. I now love it and look forward to more…

How to Make Apple Pie Taste Yummier

9. How to Make Apple Pie Taste Yummier

What do I do when the Fall comes round? I pick apples. It’s amazing how many can be found on abandoned trees on the lanes near where I live just outside London. I go out with my husband and son and pick apples that no body else wants every weekend during S…

Honey Grilled Nectarines

10. Honey Grilled Nectarines

Honey grilled nectarines make a sweet and satisfying snack. Looking for a sweet treat can be a little tricky if you don’t want cookies, pastries, etc. around the house. So here is a wonderful dessert that can be served in 10 minutes or less. That makes t…

5 Ways to Stay Motivated While Learning a Foreign Language This Fall

11. 5 Ways to Stay Motivated While Learning a Foreign Language This Fall

Fall can be a metaphor for the bad, cloudy and windy weather that lasts through the winter. Fall can be a very depressing season of the year. The sunny summer days are gone. The days become shorter. And, the colder temperatures are accompanied by rain. The…

Hot Halloween Outdoor Decorations

Posted: 02 Oct 2013 11:54 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 2.46.52 PM

Welcome to the Squidoo Halloween Countdown!

Every day from now until Halloween we’ll be brining you some creative, fun and scary Halloween ideas. Today check out these hot Halloween outdoor decorations.

Image Credit

Ten Round Things For Halloween

1. Ten Round Things For Halloween

This week’s challenge was for a lens on something round and as we are so close to October I thought I’d sneak in one more Halloween lens before the month starts. There are after all, so very many round things for Halloween. Well, roundish. Let me preface t…

Cool Pumpkin Holders and Pumpkin Stands

2. Cool Pumpkin Holders and Pumpkin Stands

When I was young, carving pumpkins meant cutting out little triangles for the eyes and nose and carving a jagged smile, then putting the creation out with a candle inside. These days, people create pumpkins with images of witches, bats, and goblins, oh, my…

Lawn and Garden Zombies3. Lawn and Garden Zombies

When the lifelike undead crawl out of your lawn. when a zombie garden gnome lurks in your petunias. when even your whimsical flamingo lawn ornaments are reduced to mere skeletons of their pink plastic selves. can the threatened horror- flick Apocalypse (or…

Crashed Witch Halloween Decoration

4. Crashed Witch Halloween Decoration

With all of the spooky and creepy Halloween decor, I enjoy finding some decorations that include some humor. One of my favorites is the ‘Crashing Witch’ decoration with a witch that has crash landed into a tree or building. The scene conjures up all sorts…

Halloween Burlap Door Hanger

5. Halloween Burlap Door Hanger

If you’ve seen the Halloween burlap door hangers and would like to craft one of your own, in this article I will share the patterns and instructions for making a burlap ghost door hanger. I stuffed this ghost with plastic bags and sprayed the finished gh…

DIY Outdoor Halloween Decorations

6. DIY Outdoor Halloween Decorations

Ideas for DIY outdoor Halloween decorations, with how- to videos for making your own characters and props. There’s an amazing variety of creepy yard and garden decorations which can be made at home. Many of these ideas are quite easy, things anyone can do…

Best Halloween Yard Decoration Ideas for Your Garden 2013

7. Best Halloween Yard Decoration Ideas for Your Garden 2013

So you’ve decorated the house, you’ve got the costumes sorted, but what about your front yard? I love to celebrate Halloween! Here I show you some of the things that I like to do to get my yard into that spooky Halloween mood! Have you considered planting…

How a Garbage Monster Saved Halloween

8. How a Garbage Monster Saved Halloween

For years now we have been the Halloween house in our neighborhood but there was a year when I almost ruined our reputation. Poor planning left me with a disaster on my hands until a garbage monster saved the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment