Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Squidoo HQ

SquidooHQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing VinnWong

Posted: 08 Oct 2013 09:07 AM PDT

Say hello to VinnWong, who joins us from Japan. He has a great sense of humor and an amazing gift for art. Learn more about him here, in his entertaining bio, and from his lenses.

How did you find Squidoo? I found Squidoo through a dear friend of mine. Actually, he is also a Squid. His name is smine27 and he just very recently became a giant Squid!

He told me one day that he decided to do some writing. That was when I read his first ever lens. After being told that it is possible for anyone to write, I decided to jump at the chance.

You’ve written about art, music, and more and your cleverly-written bio mentions several other interests. What’s coming up on your lensmaking list? Lots! However, I must say that I do enjoy writing for quests. I feel like I have an assignment to do every week and it’s very invigorating.

I know in the future once I have more lenses that it might be better to find a focus and be more cohesive with what I write. I’m actually figuring out a lot about my own interests and the world around me as I write and I hope that this growth will steer me towards finding this as well as outputting better and deeper lenses.

What can Squidoo do for you? Squidoo has given me a medium in which I can express my interests and passions through writing. I’m also using my writing to supplement my English lessons as an English teacher. My students find it very challenging and entertaining to read and that in turn makes my work life just that much more vibrant.

Squidoo is also helping me connect with people with similar interests. I’ve been able to read lots about art and travel here. I’d like to be more active and get to know more artists through Squidoo.

I’ve also added Squidoo to my own website, check out the little Squid icon on the top left of the page! www.vinnwong.com Hopefully then, more people will be able to see my writing. I’d also like to use Squidoo to help get my work known.

2 Fun Halloween Lenses from LoreleiCohen

Posted: 08 Oct 2013 06:23 AM PDT

When we asked lensmasters to send us one of their newest Happy Halloween lenses, lensmaster LoreleiCohen kindly sent us two. We like them both. Take a look to see if you agree.

Creepy Halloween Toilet Decoration

1. Creepy Halloween Toilet Decoration

The bathroom is one of the most popular rooms of the house to decorate for Halloween. Its small size makes it easy to create a super spooky atmosphere. The other rather amusing aspect of decorating the bathroom is that family as well as visitors have to vi…

Skeleton Bones and Broken Memories

2. Skeleton Bones and Broken Memories

Every Halloween we pull out the plastic, paper, and rubber skeletons that we tucked away the year before. Then we begin to decorate our home. Ah but hidden way at the back there remain the dusty skeleton bones that we didn’t want to bring out. They do…

Meet smine27, he’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 08 Oct 2013 05:41 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-08 at 8.36.44 AM
What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Enjoy the journey. No matter what life gives you at the moment, savor it because it will pass like everything else in life. Every minute of your life is unique and you won’t get to experience it ever again.

Who had the most influence on your life?

My grandmother. She was the only person in my life to tell me to believe in myself when I was a kid. That has helped me throughout my life.

What was your greatest moment?

When I finally decided to take control of my life. I lost 120 pounds and I learned what self-respect really meant.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

When I grow up I want to be a world traveler!

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

I really admire my mother for raising two hard-to-control kids all by herself trying to survive in a foreign country where she didn’t speak the language. I will always respect her for that.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

I would look at myself straight in the eye and say, “You are a beautiful person and the most important thing is to love yourself. ”

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Don’t be afraid to make mistakes because that’s when you learn the most.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

Great question actually. I would be 39 because I feel that’s my “real” age.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

If I could, I would take away the feeling of “fear”. Fear of the unknown, fear of difference, fear of being hurt, fear of failure, fear of your neighbor. I believe fear is the root of many problems in the world. I know it might sound simplistic, but I belive that If we could just choose “love” over “fear”, the world would be a better place.

Favorite Lens

A Journey Through a Day of Smiles – My Happiness Project

-smine27Giant Squid on Squidoo

Lens of the Day: The Buddha’s Teachings for All

Posted: 08 Oct 2013 05:06 AM PDT

A Few Fun Costumes for Halloween

Posted: 07 Oct 2013 04:26 PM PDT

October 31st doesn’t always have to be so scary. Sometimes it’s fun to get dressed up in something a bit more silly than spooky. As part of our countdown, here’s a few ideas for costumes that put the fun in Halloween.  You’ll find even more ideas HERE.

DIY (Wembley) Fraggle Rock Costume - Homemade for Halloween!

1. DIY (Wembley) Fraggle Rock Costume – Homemade for Halloween!

Learn how to make an authentic Wembley Fraggle costume or cosplay for Halloween or Comic- Con! I’ll walk you through how I did it, with tips an tricks for all you DIY Fraggle costumers and cosplayers to apply to any of the Fraggle Rock crew: Red, Gobo…

The Black Hole That Ate The Other Sock Costume

2. The Black Hole That Ate The Other Sock Costume

I love Halloween and I love dressing up. I don’t love spending much money on the costume so I normally dress up in something I can make my self and is easy. This year my daughter’s friend gave me a great idea. I am going to dress up as the Black…

★ Homemade Addams Family Costumes | DIY Wednesday, Mortisha & Fester Fancy Dress Ideas ★

3. ★ Homemade Addams Family Costumes | DIY Wednesday, Mortisha & Fester Fancy Dress Ideas ★

‘Addams Family’ and ‘Addams Family Values’ are two of my all- time favorite movies, with some killer lines and brilliant characters. And although the family are sinister and love all things dark and nasty, they’re also amusing (and…

A Fun Homemade Halloween Costume - Ernie from Sesame Street

4. A Fun Homemade Halloween Costume – Ernie from Sesame Street

Throughout history there have been many famous duos. Couples such as Antony & Cleopatra, Rhett & Scarlett, Bogie & Bacall, and Romeo & Juliet were more famous together than apart. Even some famous friends took the spotlight in pairs. Duos s…

Top 3 Lenses from Guest Questmaster Kristalulabelle84′s Crazy Roadside Attraction Quest

Posted: 07 Oct 2013 01:50 PM PDT

kristaluI really enjoyed reading through all of the submissions for this quest. I feel like I had the opportunity to sit in the passenger seat on many different fun and exciting road trips, right from the comfort of my own home!

It was a tough choice to make, but out of all of the quest submissions, I was able to choose what I felt were the Top 3 lenses. The lenses that I chose followed the direction I intended for the quest and had nicely arranged content, fabulous photos, and wonderful aspects of storytelling.  ~Kristalulabelle84

 

 

Florida's forgotten coast

1. Florida’s forgotten coast

Florida – what does that mean to you? The Art Deco hotels of South Beach? The luxurious yachts of Fort Lauderdale? Or maybe the Disney extravaganza? Then travel with me as I go to a part of Florida that the tourists and visitors have abandoned – the Apalac…

Saskatchewan Roadside Attractions

2. Saskatchewan Roadside Attractions

Roadside attractions are in almost every town and city in Saskatchewan. It doesn’t seem to matter how small the town is, they somehow manage to construct one Most roadside attractions have a history behind them, but some are there ‘Just Because…

Peggy Sue's Diner

3. Peggy Sue’s Diner

Most years, a couple times per year, I fly to the Bay Area, connect up with one of my best friends and the two of us head to Las Vegas. It’s not for the usual gambling or whatnot, we’re far too eclectic for that. But this lens isn’t about wh…

Meet grannysage, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 07 Oct 2013 10:21 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 1.12.21 PM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Be yourself. Be original. Find your own path.

When did you make the biggest difference?

During my social work career, I worked in a nursing home for the chronically mentally ill. When I started the residents were basically warehoused, one step above the state hospital. I proposed and implemented a life skill training program which turned the facility from a place to put people who couldn’t live on their own, to a home with programs to help them learn and practice life skills and live with as much independence as they were capable of handling whlle providing the support they needed.

Who had the most influence on your life?

This is a tough question. After thinking on it for awhile, I kept coming back to the name Ram Dass. His book Be Here Now influenced me in my early adulthood to keep seeking for spiritual truths. I find that at this time in my life, I keep coming back to his teachings and learning more.

What was your greatest moment?

When my writing was accepted in a weekly newspaper and I was given my own column which was called Rainbow’s End. I wrote that column for four years during the time my children were little.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be a person who lives in peace and harmony. I want to be a storyteller and tell stories that will inspire others to believe in themselves and walk with just a little more bounce in their step as we all take the journey through life.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

They were independent business owners. They owned a rock shop and made beautiful jewelry from stones. They were always home when I got home from school, because that is where they worked. My mother believed that girls could do anything they wanted and expected her daughters to go to college. She also believed in my writing and supported it in many different ways.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Don’t worry so much about what people think of you. It won’t matter years down the road.
Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Everyone has a right to be treated with respect and dignity. Even if you have a mental illness that requires you to be cared for by others, you have a right to be here. As Deepak Chopra said, there are no extra pieces in the universe. We are all very special beings.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I am an old soul living in a 61 year old body. The age doesn’t matter because I believe my soul is eternal and will have further adventures even after I die.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I would like to see more people learn that we are all connected and begin to act as if it were really true.

Favorite Lens

Web of Connection – Inspired by Avatar the Movie

-grannysageGiant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment