Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Meet KathyT, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 08:55 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 11.51.03 AM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Familiarize yourself with, and learn how to properly use your subconscious mind. There are more possibilities for your life than you could possibly dream if you understood the power you have over your circumstances.

When did you make the biggest difference?

It’s kind of hard to tell, but I think it has been when young people come to me seeking advice. There are a couple of “honorary kids” in my life that make my day when they come to see me and John, or call us, just to say, “I need a John/Kathy fix…” or “I think I already know what you would tell me, but I need to hear it from you anyway.” To know that I actually have something that someone else values makes my heart burst with love!

Who had the most influence on your life?

This is a tough one… My dad has always believed in me, and probably had the most influence on me as I grew up. He still believes in me, and I am forever grateful! Since becoming an adult, the spiritual teachers Paramahansa Yogananda, Ernest Holmes, and Joseph Murphy are my constant companions. (Along with my wonderful husband, John!)

What was your greatest moment?

I don’t believe I have had a single greatest moment. Actually, that would be kind of sad, I think… It would all be downhill from there. So, I continually have great moments, and know there are so many more en route.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be totally spiritually realized. It’s gonna be a long time before I grow up I guess! :)

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My mom had a lovely singing voice, and I’m sure I get that gift from her… I admire that she grew up in a family that was from Russia – and she was the only one born in the US – and had to deal with trying to be a “modern US woman” surrounded by an old world culture – and she emerged with a strong personality and loved a good party. She didn’t have the type of social shyness I do. I admired that crazy streak in her.

My dad was (and still is) a quiet guy – very much opposite from my mom, but he still enjoyed the neighborhood parties as well! One thing I admire about my dad is his willingness to ALWAYS take the time to sit down with me, share his wisdom and advice when I needed it – all after working his butt off at work to support us. He never, ever made me feel like he didn’t have time for me. That still brings tears to my eyes, because he is still the same!

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Oh boy… Loaded question! My teenage years were hell. I was so unpopular that sometimes I honestly wished I would just die (of course I am now glad I didn’t!). But, today, I would tell my teenage self that I was gifted in ways that others are not, which is why I didn’t fit in. I would tell myself to be proud of the way I was, and for my values, and for my “deep thoughts” that consumed me about life. I would tell myself to grab hold of the books I now hold dear, and that I didn’t learn about until I was well on my way into my 40s and 50s. My teenage self and my current self could have quite a good time!

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

I haven’t had a “normal” day job in over 6 years, and now work online. I would think that the one thing I’ve been learning that applies to life in general is to plan my work, and then actually work my plan. In other words, get a grip on things that need to be done, or things that I WANT to do, and then FOLLOW THROUGH and DO it. Yup, that’s about it right there…

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

Probably about 35. That sounds reasonable. :)

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I would like to change what appears to be a mass consciousness of anger, bad news, terror and misery, to a mass consciousness of love, universal oneness, peace and harmony.

Favorite Lens

Antarctica as an Inspiration for Possibilities? My Experience At Beardmore Glacier Camp

-KathyTGiant Squid on Squidoo

Getting to Know the RocketSquids

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 08:49 AM PDT

An “about me” lens is a great way to help your readers get to know you and learn what makes you – you. That’s why last week’s RocketSquids assignment was to make an “about me” lens. No disappointments here – our students dug deep inside to help us get to know them better. Enjoy!

If I Can Do it Anyone Can!

1. If I Can Do it Anyone Can!

I was the girl who hated gym class. Everyone else questioned how we’d use math, science, history, etc. lessons in our futures. I questioned the point of gym class, turning my nose up at any exercise. I refused to eat most fruits and veggies, telling m…

Reflection of myself

2. Reflection of myself

If you have ever read Linda Goodman’s sun signs, you will understand what a Libra Woman is all about. You will understand me completely. Well actually I understood myself and realized why I behave the way I do after I read the book. You guessed it cor…

How to help your dyslexic child with homework

3. How to help your dyslexic child with homework

Last week I wrote a poem. It was a special poem because it is the first I have ever written. I am dyslexic, which means that writing is not in my comfort zone. This lens is about how I help my son, who is also dyslexic and dyspraxic, with his homework. I h…

Crafty Home Decorating Ideas

4. Crafty Home Decorating Ideas

I’m always looking for new, fun ways to decorate my home. Blessed with a love (or obsession) with crafting, I’m always looking for easy and inexpensive ways to jazz up any room. With a 700 square foot apartment, there isn’t unlimite…

My Early Fall Project: Recycling when Making Homemade Chutney

5. My Early Fall Project: Recycling when Making Homemade Chutney

I got this idea of making homemade chutney several years ago. I needed some original Christmas gifts and it came to my mind that homemade cunning is a special idea that would be appreciated by everyone. All people love some kind of food and if it is homema…

Go here to see more of the best of the best lenses from last week’s assignment.  And go here if you’d like to join us on the fast track to Giant Squidom by signing up for RocketSquids.

Dashboard Issues

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 07:24 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 10.21.42 AMGood morning!

Last night and today many of you have been reporting dashboard issues. Mainly that you can’t access the dashboard. This bug is not affecting everyone and we’re working quickly to get it fixed.

Thanks for your patience.

 

What Do REAL Witches Do at Halloween? 4 Lenses that Celebrate Samhain

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 06:30 AM PDT

As our Halloween countdown continues, we’ve collected a few of our favorite lenses from lensmasters who celebrate Samhain instead. Take a look.

What Do REAL Witches Do at Halloween? Samhain Ritual & Custom

1. What Do REAL Witches Do at Halloween? Samhain Ritual & Custom

What do real witches do for Halloween? Well, we don’t ride out on broomsticks for starters. Although I wish we did. that would be kinda cool. Far from scaring the living daylights out of the locals, or casting ghoulish spells on our unruly neighbours,…

Foods for Samhain

2. Foods for Samhain

Come the end of October in the Northern Hemisphere, the Wheel of the Year is turning and summer is giving way to winter. It is the time for harvest celebrations and honouring those who have died in the previous year. For many Pagans, it is a time to celebr…

What to Wear to the Witches' Ball

3. What to Wear to the Witches’ Ball

Have you ever been to a party with 500 real witches? Yes, that is what I said. Real Witches. You don’t know any real witches? (Hint, look at the picture on the left – yes I’m a real witch) You don’t want to be at a party with witches? Then y…

Serving A Samhain Feast

4. Serving A Samhain Feast

While most of the Western world knows October 31st as Halloween, to some it is Samhain. Instead of celebrating a secular holiday of costumes, candy and consumption, many who follow Earth- centric spiritual practices mark the night as the end of the seasona…

Lens of the Day: Agricola – The Perfect Board Game

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 04:47 AM PDT

Join The Squidoo Storytellers Daily Challenge on Facebook

Posted: 08 Oct 2013 12:38 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 9.40.38 AMDo you love to review movies? books or other fun products? We’ve got a fun new group that you’d might be interested in The Squidoo Storytellers Daily Challenge on Facebook. 

Every day Robin and I will post a new challenge like Review a movie from the 1980′s or Board Game Mania! and you’ll get to create a New Format Lens about the topic of the day. We opened this group up to our Giant Squids and RocketSquids yesterday and here’s some of the cool lenses they created for the 80′s Movie Review:

Amadeus, Doing The Right Thing The Wrong Way
Overboard – A Movie That Will Bring the Laughter Out Of You
Blade Runner
Predator Gives Blood, Gore and a Whole Lot More
E.T. The Extraterrestrial
Three Men And A Baby: A Comedy Movie Which Will Entertain You
Airplane! : The Greatest Comedy of All Time?
Watch Terminator Now (BONUS: Terminator 5 Trailer)
Jaws a American Horror Thriller Film

We’re pretty impressed with these personal reviews!

So would you like to join us?

The criteria is that we run this group on Facebook (because it’s easy) and we’re looking for people who care about creating quality content. That’s it!

If you’re currently a Giant Squid or a Rocket Squid go to your Quest Tab and click on ‘Start the Quest” to join. You already have access to the New Lens Format.

If you’re not a Giant Squid or RocketSquid and would like to join us (AND have early access to the New Lens Format) e-mail me (Bonnie) at bonnie@squidoo.com with your Squidoo User Name for instructions on how to join. We’re only letting about 100 people in early so e-mail us quickly for a spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment