Friday, November 1, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


7 Giants Sharing Their Memories (on lenses!)

Posted: 01 Nov 2013 09:40 AM PDT

Many of our Giant Squids are working on new lens format review lenses that share both a product and a tender memory that is attached to it.

These are really fun to read. Make time today!

Through the Years with Reed & Barton Silver Christmas Bells

1. Through the Years with Reed & Barton Silver Christmas Bells

My birthday is in December, so I’ve always gotten a lot of Christmas ornaments for my birthday. My sister gave me my first Reed & Barton silver bell for my 18th birthday (yes, children, they had invented silver even that long ago). I was so th…

Great Little Travel Passport Bag

2. Great Little Travel Passport Bag

In April, 2011, I went on my very first cruise – a six day cruise to the Caribbean. Since I had not been out the country before where I had to carry a passport, I wanted to find a small bag I could use that could hold my passport, spending money, a charge…

Everyone Has a Book in Them

3. Everyone Has a Book in Them

It has been said that everyone has a book in them. I believe that is true, though many people do not have the opportunity or inclination to write it. This is my book. I wrote it. It was a life changing experience. It came about during a 12 year of surgery…

Hold Everything! FINIS Swim Diapers.

4. Hold Everything! FINIS Swim Diapers.

‘We have a Code 3 Alert. I repeat, we have a Code 3 Alert. Please clear the pool and pool deck immediately. ‘ At first, I thought there was some kind of nuclear waste leak in the general vicinity. My baby and I watched, bewildered, as swim instru…

The Tingler- A Funny Horror Film

5. The Tingler- A Funny Horror Film

Growing up with an older brother can be fun except for when he wants to scare the living daylights out of you! This was the case with me, my brother and the movie The Tingler. Back in the day, there were no movies with high tech special effects or bloody s…

The Science of Hitting: Book by baseball great Ted Williams

6. The Science of Hitting: Book by baseball great Ted Williams

Just how great of a hitter was Ted Williams? Well, he’s the only hitter anyone could try to argue was as good or better than Babe Ruth. Ted Williams had an amazing career interrupted by some service for the USA as a soldier during World War II and the…

Where is the Apple Do-Hicky?

7. Where is the Apple Do-Hicky?

This may look like some kind of ancient torture device. And for anyone who doesn’t know what it is, it just could be a torture device. But for anyone who has ever baked apple pies for a church fundraiser would know, these devices are just to die for w…

Editing Bug – UPDATE: Fixed

Posted: 01 Nov 2013 09:15 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 10.21.42 AMWe are currently experiencing a site wide editing bug. Which means that edits that you make to a lens might not save.

We’re working hard to get this fixed.

In the mean time check out some spotlight lenses on SquidooHQ.

UPDATE – This bug has been fixed.

 

Check Out These Awesome Recipes

Posted: 01 Nov 2013 05:44 AM PDT

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

1. Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, but I love pumpkin pie any time of the year. I am diabetic and gluten intolerant, so I have to adapt recipes that keep me healthy while enjoying all those great old flavorful favorites I remember from when I was a ch…

Easy Alphabet Vegetable Soup

2. Easy Alphabet Vegetable Soup

Easy Alphabet Vegetable Soup Blustery weather calls for a bowl of hot nourishing Easy Alphabet Vegetable Soup. This recipe has been in my family for many years. I really can’t remember when I ate my first bowl of this soup, because it seems as if it…

Pumpkin-Egg Nog Smoothies

3. Pumpkin-Egg Nog Smoothies

I have been making pumpkin smoothies for a few Falls now and I think I’ve found a few good combinations for a yummy smoothie that anyone would like. I love anything with pumpkin and I’ve seen other places advertise pumpkin smoothies and the like,…

Grandma's Peanut Brittle Recipe

4. Grandma’s Peanut Brittle Recipe

Every Christmas I look forward to making and eating peanut brittle, because I have what I like to call: The Original Recipe What I mean is that the recipe that I use came from my grandma, which she got from her mom, it is OLD! Grandma used to make it every…

My Grandmother's Amazing Rugelach Recipe - Miniature Pastries/Cookies So Good They're Like a Party in Your Mouth!

5. My Grandmother’s Amazing Rugelach Recipe – Miniature Pastries/Cookies So Good They’re Like a Party in Your Mouth!

Image credit: twistin [CC BY- 2. 0], via Flickr Background image credit: Margaret Schindel If you’ve never tasted rugelach, let me warn you about these fabulous sweet treats: they are totally addictive. (Think potato chips are hard to resist? Ha! They…

Favourite Thai Christmas Curry

6. Favourite Thai Christmas Curry

These days with so many of our friends having different diets we decided to start a new tradition and move away from Christmas turkey. May I introduce to you the ultimate Christmas Curry! It can go meat free or be made with free range organic chicken, you…

Cast Iron Pan Fried Vegemite Steak

7. Cast Iron Pan Fried Vegemite Steak

There is nothing like Vegemite to bring out the flavors in steaks, burgers and other meats. And this easy recipe makes a steak so juicy and tender that, as you can see, juice goes everywhere! Plus the layer of Vegemite you rub on will give you a crunchy co…

Fresh Green Beans with Fetta Cheese

8. Fresh Green Beans with Fetta Cheese

For a bright and tasty side dish, these French Green Beans are superb. You can eat crisp green beans at any time, and the flavour of tiny haricots vert are heightened by the tangy fetta. This recipe also calls for fresh herbs. If you don’t have fresh…

How to make Oyakodon - a simple Japanese donburi recipe

9. How to make Oyakodon – a simple Japanese donburi recipe

Oyakodon is a classic Japanese donburi – a dish served over a bowl of rice. Oyakodon is one of my favorite comfort foods. The egg, chicken, onion and savory/sweet broth come together to make a satisfying, hearty meal that’s easy to make and incredibly…

In a Pinch Mexican Posole

10. In a Pinch Mexican Posole

When cold weather arrives, I’m ready for soup. There’s one option that my kids are pining for long before the chilly temperatures arrive, however. Posole is a firm favorite, but I don’t always want to spend the day steaming my kitchen with a…

Lens of the Day: The Road: A Book Review

Posted: 01 Nov 2013 05:44 AM PDT

Hello November!

Posted: 01 Nov 2013 05:30 AM PDT

November - Pumpkin pie - by merydith on flickr via Creative CommonsWelcome November, the month for giving thanks – and shopping for presents!

Product Reviews are Hot!

Are your holiday gift lenses ready? There’s no time like right now to get those product reviews and recommendations out there. The awesome new product review lens format is available to many and will be available to most lensmasters in the very near future, so start thinking like Santa.  Look around you for products you know and love then prepare your personal reviews. When you’re thinking “reviews,” don’t forget that movies and music make excellent gifts, too, especially when they’ve been given your personal, expert stamp of approval.

Get Topical

When you need a break from writing holiday gift suggestions and reviews, think about other special occasions coming up soon.  It doesn’t take but a few minutes to find dozens or even hundreds of timely, topical topics for any given month or day of the year. If you’re short of lensmaking ideas, do some research and find something topical that you enjoy then write about it. It might as well be your lens that goes viral – but it won’t be if you don’t prepare in advance.

For instance, observances in the U.S. throughout the month of November include diabetes awareness, lung cancer awareness, and Native American Indian heritage month to name a few. Veterans receive special recognition this month, too, and readers out there will be seeking out details and special events. Know something about any of these topics? Have special November commemorations in your part of the world? Choose your favorite and make a lens about it.

Did you know there will be a total eclipse of the sun on November 3rd? And that three comets are due to line up in a row during the morning of November 9th? Events like this are great to write about in advance because you know there will be people looking for information. Will you see the eclipse where you live? How about the comet formation? Thousands of people will be asking those questions. If astronomy is a topic of interest to you, do some research today and have a lens ready when people around the world start asking questions tomorrow.

Check Your Dashboard

Speaking of lensmaking ideas, remember to check your dashboard’s activity feed and quests tab often. The Creative Team is working overtime to provide lensmaking opportunities for you and we’ll be staying extra-busy doing so throughout the upcoming holiday shopping season. You probably won’t be able to participate in every quest or challenge, but the more lenses you make and the more contests you enter around here, the more chances you and your lenses will have to be recognized by the community and discovered in search engine results by people who want to know what you have to tell them.

“Plan your work and work your plan” really is a great philosophy for lensmasters to live by. Consider investing some time today setting some lensmaking goals and making a SquidPlan for November. Then feel free to share yours with us in a comment below.

Introducing The New Recipe Module & Recipe Lens Format

Yesterday we share information about our new recipe module and new recipe lens format. Here’s some new recipes to check out:

Sandesh Sweet Recipe For Diwali Festival

My Grandmother’s Amazing Rugelach Recipe – Miniature Pastries/Cookies So Good They’re Like a Party in Your Mouth!

Healthy Hemp Hearts No-Bake Cookies

Savory Cheese Muffin Recipe – Perfect for a Healthy Snack or Meal

 Image Information

No comments:

Post a Comment