Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing Jennifer88

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 08:59 AM PST

Meet Jennifer88, a former travel agent who seems to have travel in her blood. If you’re interested in exotic places – and finding happiness – then definitely do not miss out on her lenses, right after you read our interview.

How did you find Squidoo? I saw an interview with Megan Casey on zenhabits.net. I had never heard of Squidoo before, but after having a little poke around I thought it would be a fun way to practice my writing skills. I have blogged on and off before, but I find it easier to write one off articles. Plus I’m really enjoying the Squidoo community, it keeps me motivating and writing.

Travel is obviously your passion and your topic of choice so far on Squidoo. Any surprise lenses coming up that we should watch for? I’ve written mostly about travel because it is very easy for me to write about. I’ve spent more than 3 years of my life on the move and I also worked in the tourism industry, so writing about travel comes naturally. However, I am passionate about happiness, mindful living, and chasing dreams, so I would love to write more on these themes.

What can Squidoo do for you? The best part of Squidoo is the community; it’s what really keeps me motivated to keep writing. I enjoy the challenges and the feedback, so keep it coming! Also, as I love writing about travel, it would be great if Squidoo had a travel magazine and maybe some travel modules (like an affiliate program with a hotel booking website!)

Lens of the Day: My List Of 10 Things I Did In Beijing China

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 05:27 AM PST

Meet relache, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 12 Nov 2013 04:14 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 7.09.36 PM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?
Never be afraid to be yourself… or just pretend you’re not afraid and be yourself anyway.

When did you make the biggest difference?

It’s the little things that make the big differences. Overhearing a confused/lost person on the bus and telling them where their stop is. Seeing someone drop something, picking it up and giving it back to them. Helping someone carry a heavy thing up or down a staircase. All those gestures were gifts given to me by total strangers at times when I really needed them, so I try and be mindful that way myself.

Who had the most influence on your life?

That would have to be my mom. She talked to me as if I could completely understand her when I was a baby (I totally believe that story!), told me when I was seven that I was just as smart as a grown-up (and warned me that might be a bit of a challenge for a kid), and when I was 16 she said that she felt her job was to make me the strongest person she could.

What was your greatest moment?

It’s one I haven’t had yet. It’s after I meet the man who will become my husband, after we’ve built a cob house together on our land. It will be a sunny morning when I wake up in bed, look out at our garden and then roll over and look into his eyes as he wakes up.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

5′ 8″… Infamously (and fellow lens master Calyxa witnessed this) when I met former Squidoo EIC Megan Casey in California, she burst out with “Oh my god, you’re a peanut!” upon first sight of me. If I should ever happen to meet actor Robert Downey Jr. I’m going to completely make his day by pointing out that my superhero power is that I can make him look amazingly tall just by standing next to him.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

As they are both still alive, I’m still admiring them. They are still active and vital, and in love with each other, as they approach 50 years of marriage. They are sharing what it’s like to get older, with all the fears and silliness that comes with it. Not many people I know are friends with their parents, and I really relish that.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Mom was right: once you get to college, you will meet hundreds of people who don’t have that annoyingly-singular-mindset everyone in high school seems to have had. And rubbing alcohol gets those crazy hair color stains off skin really easily!

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

If you have a choice between making something more complicated or more simple, there’s really a lot to be said for picking the simple option.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I’ve been a late bloomer all my life. I was proclaimed to look like I was about 12 just last week (I was playing with my new hair dread falls at the time) and I’m mistaken for being a twenty-something fairly regularly. However, my knees have no illusions about such things.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

People have so many conflicting opinions about changing the world, I’d sort of like to see the world surprise us and do something that forces us to shift our focus and genuinely change ourselves. Because it’s only by changing ourselves that we will truly change the world.

Favorite Lens

Make Your Own Fairy Wings

-relacheGiant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment