Thursday, November 14, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Lens of the Day: Use a Speed Hook for Your Fast Hooking Needs

Posted: 14 Nov 2013 05:12 AM PST

What’s Cooking At Squidoo needs your help!

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 04:42 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 7.18.12 PMOn October 31st we released our new recipe format and in just 13 days it’s on fire.

We’re getting in recipes for cookies and french toast and tofu loaf and roasted cornish hens and I could go on and on and on. The bottom line is that we’ve got a ton of quality recipes pouring in and we wanted to have a place to share these creations.

So What’s Cooking At Squidoo was born. It’s a Facebook page that Robin, Stephanie and I update daily with your recipe lenses. Right now I’ve got a Creative Commons photo up as the cover but what I’d really like is your own personal food creations.

So…do “Like” the page. Share it with your friends on Facebook (we want to build a nice audience) and send me your personal food photos so that I can update our cover photo. Cover photos are 851 pixels wide and 315 pixels tall so be sure your photo is about that size. e-mail your food photos to me at bonnie@squidoo.com and your lensmaster use name so that I can give you a shout out.

20 Terrific So Crafty Crafting Tool Lenses

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 12:20 PM PST

Are you a crafter? How many of these terrific So Crafty lenses have you visited already? Stop by each of the following to find a terrific tool you just might need.

PS… One of these lenses will be featured as Lens of the Day tomorrow because we love the creative way it was made. Can you find it?

Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine: An Essential Tool For Crafting With Polymer Clay

1. Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine: An Essential Tool For Crafting With Polymer Clay

My Sculpey Clay Conditioning Machine is the one polymer clay tool I absolutely can’t live without! I love making jewelry, ornaments and all kinds of odds and ends from polymer clay, but I don’t love the sore, cramped hands I get from conditioning…

Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set Makes A Perfect Gift

2. Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set Makes A Perfect Gift

When I saw this art set, my eyes lit up. I’ve always loved to draw and paint, and I would have loved to have this set when I was a kid. I made do with what I had, but I can imagine how my creativity would have been fired up with having such a wealth o…

Discovering Amigurumi Crochet

3. Discovering Amigurumi Crochet

I have been a crochet crafter for more than 30 years and love to create plush animals. I began making stuffed toys for my children, and then for my grandchildren when they were small. Today I crochet cute plush critters for children everywhere and feature…

Light for Fine Needlework

4. Light for Fine Needlework

Ideally, we would all do our needlework and artwork in a room with plenty of natural sunlight. Fluorescent and incandescent bulbs give off light that distorts true colors and is harsher on the eyes than natural light. OttLite full- spectrum lights offer th…

X-Acto Knives - The Craft Tool I Can't Do Without

5. X-Acto Knives – The Craft Tool I Can’t Do Without

The one thing in my crafting toolbox that I couldn’t do without is my X- Acto knife set. I have used those versatile and razor sharp craft knives to cut a wide variety of materials. Nothing beats them for cutting precision edges on photographs for col…

Use a Speed Hook for Your Fast Hooking Needs

6. Use a Speed Hook for Your Fast Hooking Needs

Hmmm. my pattern calls for a S hook. I don’t think I have a size S. What a second. 20. 00 mm? Who was crazy enough to make a hook that big? – My brain when I discovered the existence of a crochet hook this huge Seeing giant hooks hanging on the croche…

My Favorite Knitting Tools

7. My Favorite Knitting Tools

Lots of knitters prefer the straight needles, but my all- time favorite are the circular needles. You never have to search for where the other needle has gotten lots to. You husband is less likely to pick one up to probe or use as a pseudo screw driver (wh…

Best Choice Of Cross Stitch Frames

8. Best Choice Of Cross Stitch Frames

Every so often I like to try out a new craft and recently I decided to have a go at cross stich. I soon discovered that manhandling the cross stitch I was working on was a little limiting and that a cross stitch frame was needed! After taking a look at qui…

yarnbowl9. Why You Want a Yarn Bowl

I’d seen ceramic yarn bowls online and I thought that while owning one might be useful, I didn’t really consider buying one. Then, my friend bought me one for my birthday and I ‘got it’. I didn’t just get a yarn bowl; I ‘got…

4M Recycled Paper Beads Kit

10. 4M Recycled Paper Beads Kit

Paper Bead making is not new craft. I couldn’t tell you exactly how long it has been around, but it goes at least as far back as the Victorian era. Paper beads are versatile. They can be used for making many things ranging from beautiful jewelry to un…

Webbing Projects

11. Webbing Projects

Crafting with Poly Webbing In a roundabout way, I have to thank the homeless animals for my experiencing the versatility of crafting with polypropolene webbing. After all, it was due to my work with the animals that resulted in my first using this product….

Thread Snips, My Favorite Sewing Tool

12. Thread Snips, My Favorite Sewing Tool

Dear thread snips, We’ve been working together for nearly eight years. It’s been a special time, and I just wanted to let you know that I can’t live (or work) without you. Whenever I’m sewing, whenever I’m quilting and whenever I…

Crochet Set for the Happy Hooker

13. Crochet Set for the Happy Hooker

I like crochet because you need so little extra to get started and create something. One hook, yarn and possibly a pattern (or at least the idea of a pattern). You can crochet granny squares, stitch them together and create almost anything. No real pattern…

Check Your Gauge!!

14. Check Your Gauge!!

Every knitting or crochet teacher will tell you to do this: check your gauge. Not many of us do, though. After so many ill- fitting projects myself, I have decided not only to check my gauge faithfully, but to not FUDGE my gauge. What is gauge? Let’s…

My First Needle Felting Project

15. My First Needle Felting Project

I had a birthday last week and one of my presents was this Dimensions needle felting kit. Needle felting is something that I’ve wanted to try for some time and this kit in particular is the specific one that I wanted because the monster is damn adorab…

Dimensions Needlecrafts Embroidery, Believe Pillow Cases

16. Dimensions Needlecrafts Embroidery, Believe Pillow Cases

My first experience with hand embroidery was making a pillowcase. It was one of the most rewarding thing experiences of my life. I can remember the day I beg my mother to let me make my first embroidery project. She was hesitant since I was only 5 years ol…

A Crafty Way with Cards and Card Making

17. A Crafty Way with Cards and Card Making

Let me start off by saying, ‘I love my computer! I love my e- mail buddies, and I love little notes and quotes sent through cyberspace! ‘ BUT,(now here comes the truth) I love getting something special, made just for me, by someone who took the t…

Do It Yourself Book Repair

18. Do It Yourself Book Repair

I used to work in a public library. Needless to say, their books saw a lot of use and often needed repairs to keep them in circulation. I saw a lot of book repairs being made that I was not comfortable with and became interested in learning how to fix brok…

Fancy Craft Kits

19. Fancy Craft Kits

Is this your craft room? Then it’s already too late for you to be given one of these beautiful little craft kits put together by a partnership of Teresa Collins and Xyron. You are beyond the pale. But if you know someone who just wants to wrap a gift…

Omnigrid Quilting Ruler Set

20. Omnigrid Quilting Ruler Set

If you are already into sewing, and then decide that you want to take up quilting, you already have most of the tools necessary to get into quilting, such as a cutting mat, rotary cutter, and a 6- 1/2 by 24 inch ruler. But, do you have any square rulers fo…

Cookies! Cookies! Cookies!

Posted: 13 Nov 2013 11:13 AM PST

Holy Cookie Monster! Have we got some recipes for you. Check out these 33 delectable treats.

Image from Tootsie Roll Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 2.18.55 PM1. Sister Chabanel's SquaresI inherited this recipe from my Mom, of course. It is one recipe she found in a book that she loved. I think it was one of those church get- together/recipe swap books, so it is likely not that well known. You can tell by the title. When you put your name… 

 

 

 

Chewy Granola Bars2. Chewy Granola Bars

I love granola bars, but not the hard crunchy ones. I created this recipe of Soft Chewy Granola Bars to satisfy my yearning for good, soft chewy ones. I also like that I can put ingredients I prefer into the cookies, like wheat germ, sesame seeds, and sunf…

Healthy Hemp Hearts No-Bake Cookies

3. Healthy Hemp Hearts No-Bake Cookies

Hemp seed hearts are the new super- food on the block. Hemp hearts are high in protein and low in carbohydrates, have the same heart healthy benefits as flax seed and fish, and contain the perfect ratio of omega- 6 to omega- 3. Here’s a no- bake cooki…

Chewy Granola Bars

4. Chewy Granola Bars

I love granola bars, but not the hard crunchy ones. I created this recipe of Soft Chewy Granola Bars to satisfy my yearning for good, soft chewy ones. I also like that I can put ingredients I prefer into the cookies, like wheat germ, sesame seeds, and sunf…

Andes Mint Cookies Recipe

5. Andes Mint Cookies Recipe

I first tried these cookies at a company potluck, and I was blown away by how delicious they were. Chocolatey, chewy and minty all at once – the perfect Christmas treat! The secret – the Andes mints that are placed on top of the still- hot cookies. They me…

Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

6. Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I originally found these as an online recipe a few years back and had tweaked it a little bit to add different combinations and ingredients. It’s a very simple recipe that is completely flour and dairy free. The cookies come out firm, but not too hard…

Turtle Cookie Balls

7. Turtle Cookie Balls

Last year I started making cookie balls for the holidays. These cookies are easy to make and taste great too! The basic cookie recipe is very simple but the variations are only limited by your imagination. You can use most any kind of store bought cookie t…

Sousababy's WowButter Cookies (All Nut-Free with a G-F option)

8. Sousababy’s WowButter Cookies (All Nut-Free with a G-F option)

A Canadian success story, WowButter first caught my eye at the grocery store because it’s gluten- free and nut- free. As noted in my Savory Roasted Curried Chickpeas & Roasted Cinnamon Honey Chickpeas article, when compared to U. S. children,…

My Grandmother's Amazing Rugelach Recipe - Miniature Pastries/Cookies So Good They're Like a Party in Your Mouth!

9. My Grandmother’s Amazing Rugelach Recipe – Miniature Pastries/Cookies So Good They’re Like a Party in Your Mouth!

Image credit: twistin [CC BY- 2. 0], via Flickr Background image credit: Margaret Schindel If you’ve never tasted rugelach, let me warn you about these fabulous sweet treats: they are totally addictive. (Think potato chips are hard to resist? Ha! They…

Gluten Free No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

10. Gluten Free No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

I was searching for a gluten free recipe to make for a friend of mine who was just diagnosed with Celiac disease, a potential debilitating condition if one eats wheat or wheat products. Imagine my surprise when I found this recipe (tweaked just a bit for o…

Chocolate Moose Cookies for Christmas

11. Chocolate Moose Cookies for Christmas

Double Chocolate Drop Cookies – Antlers Optional But Recommended My 4 year old granddaughter spends an afternoon with me twice a week. When we get together, we like to cook or make crafts (that is when we aren’t outdoors playing magic barefoot fairy i…

Snowball Surprise Quick Cookie Recipe

12. Snowball Surprise Quick Cookie Recipe

Snowball Nut Cookies I was browsing through the cookbooks in a local department store when I first came across the Favorite Brand Name: 100 Best Holiday Cookies. Thumbing through it I found a section that listed ‘Christmas Cookie Quickies’. Looki…

Best Loved No Bake Cookies

13. Best Loved No Bake Cookies

I have many fond memories of making these chocolate no bake cookies when I was growing up. These chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal goodies never lasted very long at my house. A an adult, I don’t make no- bake cookies nearly so often. This is somet…

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

14. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

With the holidays around the corner I’ve been looking for a new cookie recipe to try. I found just the one. It’s a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Oh how I can’t wait to try this! I love to bake with pumpkin; its such a Fall treat! Thi…

Calming Lavender Cookies

15. Calming Lavender Cookies

I have lavender plants in the garden not just because they are pretty, calming and smell lovely but because lavender is a handy remedy too. I was so pleased when I discovered this little recipe that uses lavender flowers. The recipe is easy to make and I m…

Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies

16. Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies

Wow your friends and family with these decadent Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies that not only look like miniature works of art, but taste amazing too! One batch makes a whopping 10 dozen cookies, so I wouldn’t recommend doubling this recipe unl…

Easy Oatmeal Cookies

17. Easy Oatmeal Cookies

Have you ever tried to make cookies with oats? At first they might not seem as attractive as chocolate cookies but you can make them really yummy. Below is my recipe for this cookies – I wanted something really simple, healthy and quick to make at the same…

Whole wheat fruitcake cookies

18. Whole wheat fruitcake cookies

Cookies and health usually don’t mix. But these delicious whole wheat fruitcake cookies are not that bad for your health ;) Lots of dried fruit, fresh fruit and nuts are mixed into these cookies. I hope you’ll like them!

Spicy Chickpea Cookies

19. Spicy Chickpea Cookies

Cooking is always an adventure for me. I hate following a recipe as I am quite bad at it but love cooking and I prefer to cook on a hunch and love to explore. Sometimes I discover new dishes and sometimes it is a BIG disaster. So this recipe was a self dis…

Sumptuous Chocolate Caramel with Fudge Covered Pretzel Cookies

20. Sumptuous Chocolate Caramel with Fudge Covered Pretzel Cookies

Sumptuous Chocolate Caramel with Fudge Covered Pretzel Cookies Photo Copyright 2013 Ren During These are the yummiest, most delicious, chewiest with a bit crunch cookies you’ll ever eat. I think I’m in love with the first cookie of my life. They…

Best Sugar Cookies Ever

21. Best Sugar Cookies Ever

Sugar cookies are always fun to make for any occasion, this recipe makes over 100 cookies depending on size of shapes or cutters that you use. They stay soft too. A wonderful recipe for kids to make for holidays and take as treats for school. This recipe c…

Easy to Bake & Cheap to Make One Bite Homemade Sweet Jam Rolls

22. Easy to Bake & Cheap to Make One Bite Homemade Sweet Jam Rolls

Those cookies are really easy to make and the all needed ingredients are in range of an affordable price. They are very addictive for everyone! I`m baking them for every occasion and they disappear every time ,almost, immediately. Last time I bake them for…

Coconut Ginger Crunch Cookie Recipe

23. Coconut Ginger Crunch Cookie Recipe

These crunchy coconut cookies can be vegan or honey and buttery depending on your preference. They’re quick to bake and taste heavenly. They’ll last a few days in an airtight container, but they only ever last one day in our house, they’re j…

Oatmeal White Chip Apricot Cookie Recipe

24. Oatmeal White Chip Apricot Cookie Recipe

This is an oldie but a goody. I don’t actually remember where I found this cookie recipe, but my kids love these cookies. The best thing about the Oatmeal White Chip Apricot cookies is that I can get my little girl to eat some oats and fruit. She is a…

Double Dark Chocolate-Pecan Cookies

25. Double Dark Chocolate-Pecan Cookies

During the holidays, we always enjoy baking cookies and making up our own versions. This is one of our favorites as we both love dark chocolate. These cookies are almost cake- like and are very rich in dark chocolate and nuts. If you don’t care for da…

Rosette Christmas Cookies

26. Rosette Christmas Cookies

Nothing says Christmas to me like my Norwegian grandmother’s rosettes. Coming together as a family during the holidays means making, and then inhaling, these Scandinavian cookie treat delights (my highest dessert rating). These lacy snowflake- like co…

Curled Gingersnaps for Everyone

27. Curled Gingersnaps for Everyone

I love ginger. I love anything that is made with ginger. And I love cookies! So there you have it three loves in a row, so now I think I should share one of my favorite recipes for Gingersnaps, so that you can love ginger and ginger cookies too! The part I…

Orange and Pecan Biscotti

28. Orange and Pecan Biscotti

I lived in Little Italy for many years, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that I was brave enough to try to make my own biscotti. It is a little un- nerving having a cafe on every corner with a pretty row of perfect biscotti behind the glass! These…

Diabetic Peanut Butter Cookies

29. Diabetic Peanut Butter Cookies

When you are a newly diagnosed diabetic, it can be pretty overwhelming. You may feel like you have to deprive yourself of everything you love in order to keep your blood sugar under control. Well, I am here to tell you that is NOT true. You can still eat a…

Grandma Modranski's Roll Cookies

30. Grandma Modranski’s Roll Cookies

AKA – Sugar Cookies The first few years we were married, Steve kept saying my Sugar Cookies just weren’t as good as his Grandma’s. I told him NO ONE’S cookies are ever as good as ‘Grandma’s. ‘ Finally we visited an aunt who ha…

Tootsie Roll Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

31. Tootsie Roll Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Use Up That Leftover Halloween Candy! I Had a Ton of Tootsie Rolls Leftover This Year. As I gazed at the overflowing bowl of candy I had leftover after receiving far fewer Trick- or- Treaters than expected this past Halloween, I decided to get creative ins…

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Triple Duty, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

32. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Triple Duty, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

The ultimate cookie for this chocolate loving family is, yep, you guessed it, Chocolate Chip. With white chocolate, semi- sweet chocolate, and it would not be a chocolate chip cookie to me without, dark chocolate chips oozing out of it. It is almost imposs…

Sister Chabanel's Squares

33. Sister Chabanel’s Squares

I inherited this recipe from my Mom, of course. It is one recipe she found in a book that she loved. I think it was one of those church get- together/recipe swap books, so it is likely not that well known. You can tell by the title. When you put your name…

No comments:

Post a Comment