Monday, November 18, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


IMMINENT! Holiday Recipes

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 06:23 AM PST

Check out these delicious holiday recipes from the Giant Squids!

Each lensmaster featured here also got an IMMINENT! raffle ticket.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don’t miss out on the fun?check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Festive Broccoli Casserole

1. Festive Broccoli Casserole

Although our family enjoys this recipe any time of the year, it is especially good to accompany the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey during the holiday season. It adds a festive, appealing appearance for Christmas in particular. But the addictive flavor is…

Pepper Nuts and Christmas Cookies the Old Dutch Way

2. Pepper Nuts and Christmas Cookies the Old Dutch Way

In my country (The Netherlands) Pepper Nuts (Pepernoten) are unrelentingly bonded with the Saint Nicolas feast, which is officially celebrated on December 5, the birthday of Saint Nicolas, the patron saint of the children. Today’s pepper nuts fabricat…

Bacon, Brie & Cranberry Puffs

3. Bacon, Brie & Cranberry Puffs

The first time I tried the flavor combination of brie, bacon and cranberry I was having a delicious meal with my grandparents at my favorite hotel in Scotland. The dish with the bacon, brie and cranberry was beautifully presented as a starter, melted toget…

Bible Cake Recipe

4. Bible Cake Recipe

Bible cake recipe This isn’t a recipe for cake shaped and decorated to look like a book – it’s much more fun than that. It was first given to me by Jac, a friend from Yorkshire who now lives in New Zealand. Decipher the ingredients Take a look at…

Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies

5. Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies

Making shortbread cookies every Christmas has always been a family tradition. This year I decided to tweak my grandmothers traditional Scottish recipe and make a gluten free, low carb shortbread cookie. The texture of the cookie is slightly different than…

Creamy Crab Chowder with Green Pepper and Onion

6. Creamy Crab Chowder with Green Pepper and Onion

I spent a lot of time on the Eastern Shore growing up. My family vacationed there frequently. At one point in time, we went to Fenwick Island, Delaware every other weekend to clean my aunt’s rental apartment in exchange for free weekend stays at her h…

How to Make a Christmas Sushi Cake

7. How to Make a Christmas Sushi Cake

Christmas in Japan Around the end of November, I set a day aside to decorate my home for the holidays. I make myself a big mug of hot chocolate and get to work on decorating my fake tree. I always look forward to the holiday season and although it’s n…

Fix a Healthy Christmas Breakfast with Barley Porridge

8. Fix a Healthy Christmas Breakfast with Barley Porridge

Hot breakfast cereal has been a family Christmas tradition since I was a child. My mother would always make Riisipuuro or a hot rice porridge. It is one that I’ve carried over to my own children, but I wanted a healthier option that didn’t use wh…

Overnight French Toast Muffins

9. Overnight French Toast Muffins

Who likes making breakfast on Christmas morning? Not anyone with kids, I’m sure! But doesn’t a sweet, fresh and hot breakfast sound like the perfect companion to the gift- opening madness? I think so! French toast is easy enough in its original f…

Crockpot Applesauce

10. Crockpot Applesauce

Nothing creates a cozy, warm atmosphere during the holidays more than the smell of apples and cinnamon. One of my favorite holiday dishes is warm crockpot applesauce. The first time I made it about 10 years ago, I fell in love and now I make it every year….

Butter Mochi with Coconut Milk

11. Butter Mochi with Coconut Milk

One of my favorite holiday traditions in Hawaii is eating mochi, a Japanese rice cake made from mochi rice. Making traditional mochi involves pounding cooked rice into a paste and then forming it into different shapes. However, you can easily avoid all tha…

Mike's Gluten-Free Crepes

12. Mike’s Gluten-Free Crepes

My husband saved my Sunday mornings. When I went to a gluten- free diet, I thought, no more pancakes with the family. It’ll be them with the fluffy pancakes and golden maple syrup and me with a bowl of oatmeal (actually I like oatmeal). What he did wa…

Easy Sugar-Free Pumpkin Dessert

13. Easy Sugar-Free Pumpkin Dessert

I’m a great fan of REALLY easy and fast recipes. So when I got the idea that I ought to eat some pumpkin while it’s easy to get and on sale too, I chose to make a pumpkin dessert, preferably a sugar free one. I made quick work of a can of pumpkin…

Christmas Jam Cutouts

14. Christmas Jam Cutouts

Every year, I try to make at least one new Christmas cookie. However, these jam cutouts are regulars on my Christmas cookie menu. They are just so darn easy to make. It all started when I was about to make some regular old sugar cookies. I was kind of bore…

Persimmon Pudding - an Autumn Delight

15. Persimmon Pudding – an Autumn Delight

Sweet bright orange persimmons are the key ingredient in this gorgeous English style ‘pudding’ which has an aroma that sings of Autumn in Asia. The pudding is slow cooked until the edges turn to chewy caramel. This dessert is perfect for Thanksgi…

Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread Dressing

16. Broccoli-Cheddar Cornbread Dressing

Dressing is probably my favorite savory food at Thanksgiving dinner. However, as our favorite holiday recipe is a bit heavy and expensive for everyday meals, we rarely get to enjoy it. So sad! In preparation for the upcoming holiday, my mind once again tur…

Sousababy's G-F Pecan Shortbread Cookies

17. Sousababy’s G-F Pecan Shortbread Cookies

Almost every Christmas, I receive a tin of Danish Butter Cookies and I do enjoy having one or two with coffee. The plain swirly one is my favorite. Since we have a gluten- free member of our family, I thought I’d try to tweak a recipe I’ve had fo…

Pommes de terre with kale and yams

18. Pommes de terre with kale and yams

Pommes de terre, or apples of the earth, are fresh potatoes, and this colorful dish, made with tender Yukon Gold or red potatoes, yams and seasonal kale has a (not so) secret ingredient that will set your taste buds singing. Dress it up as a vegetarian ent…

Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe

19. Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti Recipe

My favorite flavor additive to most foods is hazelnut. Personally, I prefer to add raw hazelnuts that I roast or bake myself. I drink hazelnut flavored coffee, and buy hazelnut lattes when I want something richer, so it is not surprising that my favorite r…

Peppery Pecans - A Savory Holiday Treat

20. Peppery Pecans – A Savory Holiday Treat

Peppery pecans are a fast and easy appetizer to make for any Holiday gathering from Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day. For those that want something more savory than sweet, this definitely fits the bill. We’ve made these for Christmas parties,…

Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce

21. Thanksgiving Cranberry Sauce

Thanksgiving is just a wonderful time as it kicks off the Holiday season. Spending time with family and friends, and lets not forget all of the great food. I was never a fan of cranberry sauce, as my dad would always buy it in a can, and to me it tasted li…

Mixed Greens Sauerkraut: Tangy Goodness from the Winter Garden

22. Mixed Greens Sauerkraut: Tangy Goodness from the Winter Garden

Sauerkraut is one of the crowning achievements of man. Take some raw vegetables, let ‘em rot in a dignified and salty fashion, and they reveal hidden treasure troves of nutrients and scrumptiously enhanced flavor. Traditionally made with cabbage, saue…

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Triple Duty, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

23. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Triple Duty, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

The ultimate cookie for this chocolate loving family is, yep, you guessed it, Chocolate Chip. With white chocolate, semi- sweet chocolate, and it would not be a chocolate chip cookie to me without, dark chocolate chips oozing out of it. It is almost imposs…

Baked Brie Cheese

24. Baked Brie Cheese

When I am invited to a party and ask the hostess what I can bring, inevitably she will ask me for that ‘Brie Thing’ I make. Now what exactly is that Brie Thing? Well let me tell you, it is the easiest recipe you will ever find anywhere, it tastes…

Sunken Apple Cake Recipe for Special Occasions

25. Sunken Apple Cake Recipe for Special Occasions

My son came home from school with the most delicious sunken apple cake I’ve ever tasted. His German teacher also teachers cookery and this is a very popular cake in German called Versunkener Apfelkuchen, so this was a real treat. It soon vanished so I…

EZ Gingerbread Man Cookies

26. EZ Gingerbread Man Cookies

EZ Gingerbread Man Cookies There are several recognizable symbols of Christmas and one such symbol is the gingerbread man cookie. History tells us this cookie has been around since the 15th century. In fairy tales, a gingerbread man comes to life, gets int…

Roasted Chicken With Spices: My Homemade Speciality

27. Roasted Chicken With Spices: My Homemade Speciality

Welcome to my kitchen Today, I’m going to share with you the recipe which I’ve tried on my own. This means it is an original one and the first time I prepared this dish was on Christmas Eve along with Potato Gratin, Vegetable Soup and Green Salad…

Reindeer Chow - A Festive Holiday Treat to Share With Family and Friends

28. Reindeer Chow – A Festive Holiday Treat to Share With Family and Friends

‘Tis the season to be giving and you just can’t beat something homemade with love! Why not make some Reindeer Chow this holiday season to share with family and friends? Every year at Christmas, I like to make a homemade treat to give to neighbors…

Irresistible banana fudge to gratify your sweet cravings

29. Irresistible banana fudge to gratify your sweet cravings

Chocolate banana fudge is a great desert for someone who has a sweet tooth yet wonder every time ‘ oh dear, am I getting myself into trouble’, honestly I have a sweet tooth (sad) and it is a torture trying decide- ‘Should I? No, I should NOT…

Gingersnow Cookies Recipe

30. Gingersnow Cookies Recipe

I wanted a gingery cookie that has a bit of a crunch but isn’t hard so I experimented in the kitchen. I used plenty of olive oil to keep the cookie soft and moist inside and added sour cream for the same reason. I used a little cornstarch to help bind…

Homemade 'Bailey's' Irish Cream

31. Homemade ‘Bailey’s’ Irish Cream

There is one thing that I will always remember about Christmas mornings at my house – Irish Coffee! My grandma had the special Irish Coffee glasses and making this coffee was the first thing the grown- ups did on every Christmas morning. Of course my siste…

Gramma's Scotch Shortbread Cookies

32. Gramma’s Scotch Shortbread Cookies

Sometimes the simplest things produce the best results. I hear it time and again. Myself I have proven it with my Christmas baking. I start in November because I am not pressed for time and what I make needs to age to develop more flavor. I like my holiday…

Tangy and Sweet Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken

33. Tangy and Sweet Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken

Another Week, Not Just Another Chicken Dinner My husband has taken over the grocery list- making duties, which we do each week before heading to the store. Planning ahead for what we’ll make from Sunday through Saturday, especially for dinner, has red…

Almond Cookies - So Good, People Will Steal Them From Santa's Plate

34. Almond Cookies – So Good, People Will Steal Them From Santa’s Plate

Almond Cookie Recipe This is the almond cookie recipe that we used every year at Christmas time. These were the cookies that we would leave out on a plate for Santa Clause. One Christmas we made the mistake of putting them out before our grandparents had l…

Gluehwein - German Holiday Drink

35. Gluehwein – German Holiday Drink

Gluehwein is a hot winter drink that is common in Germany and Austria. It is similar to the American version of hot mulled wine – it has the same concept, but is not made exactly the same. I’ve had the pleasure of drinking both and find them both equa…

Quest of the Day: Top 50 Toys For Boys

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 05:04 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 8.03.29 AMDo you see a toy on this list you’d like to review? Just click the purple “Review It” button and give it a whirl. We can’t wait to see your recommendations.

Lens of the Day: Friends: The Complete Series

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 04:51 AM PST

80′s Music Abounds! Check Out These Albums.

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 05:23 PM PST

Purple Rain by Prince

1. Purple Rain by Prince

Purple rain is one of my favorite albums by Prince. It is the soundtrack to the movie back in the 80′s that has nine songs on the album. I think the music is compelling and yet sad as it goes with what the movie is about. The movie is about heartache…

Eurythmics: Album Review: Touch

2. Eurythmics: Album Review: Touch

Innovation was the byword for Eurythmics, always experimenting with sounds, rhythms, beats and voices in the early 1980s. I caught Annie Lennox’s vocals some time before when she and Dave Stewart were members of the band The Tourists. Not too much in…

Rapture by Anita Baker

3. Rapture by Anita Baker

Album Rapture by Anita Baker is one of those R&B music albums which you may want to listen to again and again. For me it’s something special. After a long day Anita Baker shifts me in some other world. Her smooth vocal and interpretation goes…

Madonna-The first album

4. Madonna-The first album

The Year was 1983, when a 15 year old teenage boy heard ‘Holiday’ on the radio for the very first time. I, of course had to run straight to the record store to get my very own copy of the single on 45. This was back in the day when the luxury of…

Rattle and Hum:U2 Finds Their Roots

5. Rattle and Hum:U2 Finds Their Roots

After the huge success of Joshua Tree, U2 had a lot of people wondering if they could top it. Unlike some bands that look to mimic the success, U2 did something different. They made an album that was a shift in tone from their previous album and explored a…

Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is Still Awesome Today

6. Bon Jovi’s Slippery When Wet is Still Awesome Today

The first time I heard rock ‘n roll magic via Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, David Bryan, and Tico Torres, better known simply as Bon Jovi, I couldn’t have been more than six or seven years old. Nearly thirty years later, I still can’t resist…

Stuffed in the Car with Music:  What my Dad had me listen to

7. Stuffed in the Car with Music: What my Dad had me listen to

When I was little and my dad had to take me along on errands, he’d sometime leave me in the car with music turned up really loud if he was only going to be a few minutes. The Talking Heads were one of those bands that he’d indoctrinate me into. I…

80s Michael Jackson

8. 80s Michael Jackson

Just like most kids of the 80s I loved pop music. Perhaps unlike most kids of the 80s, I used to love singing to my cassette tapes in my living room, using our upright vacuum as a microphone. I’m sure I was loud, I’m not sure how well I sang, but…

Duran Duran's Rio, A Metal Heads Guilty Pleasure

9. Duran Duran’s Rio, A Metal Heads Guilty Pleasure

I’ll be honest, I accidentily hit the review button while looking at the best albums of the 80′s list on the new Squidoo lists page. I am a man who believes in providence, so, instead of deleting this page, I took it as a challenge. I remember al…

Chicago 17 is a wonderful album from the 80's

10. Chicago 17 is a wonderful album from the 80′s

Wow, when I seen this album the memories sure did come rushing back from my high school days. I don’t know if I can even remember all of the songs on this one but I do that my favorite song from this album is ‘Hard Habit to Break’ I can hear…

Van Halen, the  Album that Defined my Youth!

11. Van Halen, the Album that Defined my Youth!

I took piano lessons when I was small, but even before that time I was a songwriter. I can recall actually dictating lyrics to my dad, before I knew how to spell all the words. I never got into the piano after being whacked a few times on the knuckles by M…

The Bono Connection to Tom Waits

12. The Bono Connection to Tom Waits

It all started with a teenage obsession with Bono. I had seen U2 perform their ‘WAR’ tour at the Cleveland Music Hall and was hooked. After that concert, I read every single article I could find about Bono and his life. Nowadays, when obsessed wi…

8 Awesome Dr. Who Gifts

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 12:51 PM PST

The Day Of The Doctor

1. The Day Of The Doctor

A DVD which has been 50 years in the making! The Day Of The Doctor is THE Dr Who Gift of 2013 as the program celebrates it’s 50th Anniversary. Even if like me you were very young everybody knows the date November 22nd 1963. It was the day President Jo…

Doctor Who: The first fifty years

2. Doctor Who: The first fifty years

The Doctor Who ‘encyclopedia’ There can’t be many people who watched that first episode of Doctor Who and still watches it today. I know of only one – me. Saturday November 23rd 1963 It was teatime. My dad had heard about this new television…

The Doctor Who Comeback with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper

3. The Doctor Who Comeback with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper

Doctor Who had been on hiatus for about 15 years, and made a comeback in 2005, in the form of Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor. He was rough around the edges, the guy next door, the guy down at the pub, a total departure from every other Doctor who…

The Matt Smith Doctor Who Rollercoaster Ride

4. The Matt Smith Doctor Who Rollercoaster Ride

Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor is a living, breathing emotional roller- coaster, complete with seemingly rubber limbs, verbal gymnastics and emotional chaos. We find him in his darkest days, as well his heights of joy. Here we have him and his lovely compan…

Classic Doctor Who - Rare and Lost Episodes

5. Classic Doctor Who – Rare and Lost Episodes

Anyone who knows me will be well aware that I am a massive Doctor Who Fan and have been for many years. So when I was asked what I would consider to be classic television I didn’t even have to think about it! When it comes to Classic Television then s…

Doctor Who Potato Head

6. Doctor Who Potato Head

Fantastic! This is so much fun! I don’t know about you but every so often when I come across something in my searches for Christmas gifts I burst out laughing. I just know that something is perfect as a gift because it is just so funny. That was my re…

Doctor Who TARDIS Toy

7. Doctor Who TARDIS Toy

It will not have escaped the notice of anyone who knows me that I am a big Doctor Who Fan as is my partner. So buying them a toy (ooops I mean collectible! ) Doctor Who TARDIS was an obvious thing to do when it came to presents for their birthday. Of cours…

Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Toothbrush

8. Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Toothbrush

I have always wanted a working Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver and now I have found it! This is one Dr Who Gift that I will definitely be adding to my Gift list! I spotted it earlier today and the moment I saw it my response was. YES! That’s because I ha…

No comments:

Post a Comment