Thursday, November 21, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


7 Movies for Adventure Seekers

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 07:31 AM PST

We asked the members of the Squidoo Adventure Club to write a review of their favorite adventurous movie. Here’s seven of those action-packed reviews.

If you love a good heart-stopping movie filled with excitement, you’re sure to get a thrill.

PS… One of these lenses will appear as Lens of the Day on Sunday November 24th. Stop back then to see which one.

Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl-An Exciting Adventure Story on the High Seas

1. Pirates of the Caribbean The Curse of the Black Pearl-An Exciting Adventure Story on the High Seas

When you begin this movie get ready to set sail for an exciting pirate adventure on the seas! Filled with sword fights and ships, pirates and good guys, action and romance this lighthearted, swashbuckling film has been a favorite of many since it first cam…

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: My favorite adventure movie of all-time

2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: My favorite adventure movie of all-time

There are a lot of strong opinions about this movie. Some people like me absolutely love it. Some people think it’s silly, others find it too scary and violent. And I’ve read reviews accusing the movie makers of misrepresenting India and Hinduism…

Incredible but true!

3. Incredible but true!

In 1985 two experienced mountain climbers – Joe Simpson and Simon Yates – attempted a climb which nearly led to their deaths. Siula Grande (6344 metres, 20,814 feet), a remote peak in the Peruvian Andes, was, at that time, unconquered and largely unheard o…

Are You Ready for an Adventure?

4. Are You Ready for an Adventure?

Everyone has a little bit of an adventurer in them somewhere. I know we all do, but if adventure is what makes your heart tick a little louder and stronger, than these movies are right up your alley. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones makes these movies come a…

Will you leave earth? When Worlds Collide

5. Will you leave earth? When Worlds Collide

Finally, a movie I really enjoyed. Actually, I recommended this movie last summer to my daughter and son- in- law in southern Utah, Wayne County, where they are on the committed to select movies for BIFF – the Bicknell International Film Festival. Each yea…

Now You See Me

6. Now You See Me

I’m sure most young people love MAGIC, as do older ones like me with grey hair. I became interested in magic when I was about 12, and I had a suit case full of standard tricks 6 months later. As the years went by I read lots of books and watched movie…

Pan's Labyrinth is a Favorite Dark Fairy Tale Adventure Film

7. Pan’s Labyrinth is a Favorite Dark Fairy Tale Adventure Film

An Adventure of Beauty in Traditional Dark Fairy Tale Design I’m so excited to share this movie with you. Perhaps you have already seen it. If so, then this review can be a nice trip down memory lane for you. If you haven’t seen it, I really invi…

10 Movies From The ’90s

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 06:49 AM PST

Movies from the 90s: Titanic

1. Movies from the 90s: Titanic

It’s a movie everyone should have watched at some point of their lives and even though some might say it’s too mushy and soapy, it will forever stay in movie history as the absolute classic in the romance genre. ‘Titanic’ tells the real…

City Slickers: Billy Crystal at His Best!

2. City Slickers: Billy Crystal at His Best!

When I think back to the great movies of the 1990′s, I am naturally drawn to movies by Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Some of their more popular and memorable movies were created during this era. When Harry Met Sally is one of m…

The Shawshank Redemption  The Best Movie from the 90's

3. The Shawshank Redemption The Best Movie from the 90′s

Shawshank Redemption is one of my top ten all time favorite movies, and I didn’t want to see it when I first heard of it. Who wants to see a movie about prison? That has never been a topic of particular interest! Boy was I wrong. Since then I’ve…

An Awesome 90's Movie Most People Don't Know About

4. An Awesome 90′s Movie Most People Don’t Know About

I picked this movie because every time I ask someone if they have ever seen it they look at me like I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about. True romance is not all what you would think, its about drugs, murder, love, feds, mafia related, pi…

One Of The Best Movies Of The 90's

5. One Of The Best Movies Of The 90′s

This movie is one of the most intelligent, methodically twisted, suspenseful thrillers in history. It is in my list of the top ten greatest movies of all time and I can watch it over and over and never get tired of it. I must say it is definitely a highlig…

The Parent Trap a.k.a My Fave Movie from the 90's!

6. The Parent Trap a.k.a My Fave Movie from the 90′s!

This edition of The Parent Trap was released in 1998. I watched it as a little kid and absolutely fell in love with the movie! If you watch it, I guarantee you won’t regret it! In fact, to make it easier for you [‘cos that’s just how generou…

Natural Born Killers

7. Natural Born Killers

Natural Born Killers is not for the squeamish. Starring Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Robert Downy Jr, and Tommy Lee Jones, this movie is a gut- wrenchingly violent satire of American media’s lust for guns and violence. Written by Quentin Tarantino…

The Silence of the Lambs - A Superb Psychological Thriller

8. The Silence of the Lambs – A Superb Psychological Thriller

If you take gory crime and add to it psychological suspense plus chilling drama, you end up with one of the best movies of all time, The Silence of the Lambs. This movie was released in 1991 and since then I have watched it too many times too count. It…

Top 90's Movie - The Lion King

9. Top 90′s Movie – The Lion King

For as far back as I can remember, I’ve been in love with Disney. In fact, as soon as I started work, I spent my first hard earned dollars building my Disney movie library. It is quite difficult, for me at least, to choose a single favorite movie of a…

Tim Burton Mashes Holidays

10. Tim Burton Mashes Holidays

More than ten years ago, Tim Burton showed us The Nightmare Before Christmas. It’s a mash- up, it’s a hodgepodge, it’s a mess, and it’s amazing. I never saw it in the theater, but I wish that I had. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the…

Quest of the Day: Gifts for a Coffee Lover

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 05:35 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 8.34.31 AMGrab a cuppa Joe and browse through. If you find an item you already own and love, click the purple button and write a review to help someone else find a great gift.

11 Succulent Main Course Suggestions for Thanksgiving

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 05:06 AM PST

Are you looking for a new way to cook your Thanksgiving turkey? Or maybe you’re just looking for a delicious alternate main course for the big foodie day?

Browse through the following eleven lenses to find something you’re sure to love.

Roasted Cornish Hens with Fresh Tarragon and Roasted Vegetables - An Alternative to a Big Thanksgiving Turkey

1. Roasted Cornish Hens with Fresh Tarragon and Roasted Vegetables – An Alternative to a Big Thanksgiving Turkey

I roasted Cornish hens in the oven a few night’s ago, and they were a big hit. I’ve roasted small game birds at least 3 or 4 times a year for a couple of decades now. So, I thought I’d finally share my recipe with you, as it’s approachi…

Sousababy's Easy Maple Bacon Turkey

2. Sousababy’s Easy Maple Bacon Turkey

Over the years, I’ve heard some great tips for roasting turkey. Bacon strips on top keep the white meat from drying out and protect the skin from burning. Then there’s the face- down method, where roasting the turkey breast- side down naturally b…

Honey Roasted Quails With Chestnuts For Thanksgiving

3. Honey Roasted Quails With Chestnuts For Thanksgiving

For A Stunning Thanksgiving, Christmas Or New Year Dinner, Try This Honey Roasted Quails With Chestnuts Recipe This recipe of honey roasted quails is quite easy, but the result is stunning and absolutely delicious. I discovered this recipe a few years ago…

Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

4. Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

If you are looking for a ‘WOW’ dish to serve along side your favorite holiday turkey or ham, Lobster Macaroni and Cheese is just the right choice. For years now, I have made mac and cheese from scratch for Thanksgiving dinner and now I’ve de…

Fettuccine Bolognese-modified recipe

5. Fettuccine Bolognese-modified recipe

Bolognese sauce is another of our favourite sauce. Infact I cook it in many ways for a change and to beat the monotony. I guess, everybody loves spaghetti bolognese but fettuccine bolognese is the same. Just the shape of the pasta is different. I must conf…

Egg Curry

6. Egg Curry

I love Egg Curry. You can either have it with rice, bread or chapatis. If you ask me where did this recipe originate from, I have no idea. Egg curry is one side dish which is cooked frequently at our house. It is such a delicious dish which is very easy to…

Venison Marsala

7. Venison Marsala

Our friend Tim is an adventurous cook and loves to serve really special meals for his friends. He lives in Missouri and during one of our visits he tried out this recipe for venison marsala. He isn’t a hunter but one of his friends brought him the ven…

Herb And Mushroom Turkey

8. Herb And Mushroom Turkey

Being diabetic doesn’t have to mean eating tasteless cardboard dinners. There are tons of ways to spice up your holiday dinner without having to resort to preparations that will spike your blood sugar. I’ve spent hours and hours trying new recipe…

Making Japanese Croquettes

9. Making Japanese Croquettes

Croquettes are one of the most popular things to eat in Japan. You can pretty much find them almost anywhere you go- the supermarket deli, bento shops, mom and pop restaurants and meat shops. They are loved by everyone young and old and although they have…

Spice-Rubbed London Broil - Medium Well & Delicious

10. Spice-Rubbed London Broil – Medium Well & Delicious

Let’s talk turkey, or should I say ‘no turkey. ‘ When it come to Thanksgiving, turkey is not on my plate. I can’t stand the stuff. In my ideal world, Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts would be reigned over by a lovely ham and a nice ste…

Succulent Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts

11. Succulent Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts

Was it the word bacon in the title of this recipe that got you here? Every time I see or hear the word bacon my mouth starts to water and I can almost smell the sweet aroma of it sizzling. The following recipe for Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts is not only…

Lens of the Day: Pommes de terre with kale and yams

Posted: 21 Nov 2013 04:49 AM PST

Laugh Out Loud With These Fabulous Comedy Movies

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 03:07 PM PST

Why I Liked Juno

1. Why I Liked Juno

This movie was an excellent example of responsibility and real life situations. The lead character, once she discovers she’s pregnant, has to make some tough choices. Should she have an abortion, keep the baby, or give it up for adoption? Should she c…

Is Dumb and Dumber the Funniest Movie of All Time?

2. Is Dumb and Dumber the Funniest Movie of All Time?

And Just When I though it couldn’t get Any Funnier, they go off and make me Laugh. and Totally Redeem Themselves! Can one of the funniest movies of all time be so slanted in its’ audience? Dumb and Dumber is a movie that has two distinct sides. Y…

Idiocracy: Not Just About the Future

3. Idiocracy: Not Just About the Future

If you ever feel kind of alone and even worried and frustrated because it seems to be that everyone around you is brutish, simplistic and oblivious, as you fortunately or unfortunately got left out of the dumbing down of America, then the movie Idiocracy i…

Bridesmaids Movie Review

4. Bridesmaids Movie Review

Bridesmaids is one of the funniest comedies I’ve seen in a while. It’s just good old fashioned comedy at its best, great physical comedy, hilarious quotes and still tells a great story! The movie is directed by Paul Feig and the story is written…

The Blues Brothers: Classic comedy

5. The Blues Brothers: Classic comedy

Great music, superb comedy and wonderful car chases I mean, what more could you want? Now a comedy classic, I remember the first time I saw this movie and I rather suspect that I’ve watched it at least once a year since. Classic quotable lines Many pe…

The Full Monty: Understanding this fabulous film

6. The Full Monty: Understanding this fabulous film

The Fully Monty – how does it translate? One of my favorites films has been dubbed into many languages, remade in other countries and is performed as a musical – amateur and professional. But how does it translate from the original? Yorkshire, or British,…

A Review of The Proposal

7. A Review of The Proposal

To start with how can any movie with both Betty White and Sandra Bullock not be funny? Both have been long time favorites due to their great comedic timing. Throw in the unbelievably handsome Ryan Reynolds and you have a movie that will hold everyone’…

Gloriously Funny Groundhog Day

8. Gloriously Funny Groundhog Day

To give the reader an idea of what this great movie is all about, we need to look at the history of Groundhog Day, which many places in the USA celebrate, on February 2nd. Though there are some individual states with their own, adopted mascots, the recogni…

Music and Lyrics Is Delightful

9. Music and Lyrics Is Delightful

I am a huge fan of Drew Barrymore and have a fondness for Hugh Grant which grew into down right love after I watched this movie. I was first attracted to Music and Lyrics because Grant’s character (Alex Fletcher) is a washed up 80′s pop star. The…

Participate in the Squidoo Quest of the Day (all welcome).

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 12:59 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-20 at 3.32.22 PM

Every day you have the opportunity to participate in the Quest of the Day. Review a book, movie or product that you know and love, easy at pie.

Here’s a few recent quests and the lenses created:

Quest of the Day: 150 Favorite Comedy Movies Throughout The Years

The Blues Brothers: Classic comedy
- A Review of The Proposal
- Is Dumb and Dumber the Funniest Movie of All Time?

Quest of the Day: Top 50 Toys For Boys

Perplexus Rookie Puzzle Ball
- Gate of Mordor and Mouth of Sauron Lego
- Desktop Patrol Dalek

Minecraft Papercraft Animal Mobs Set – A Great Gift for Boys of any Age

Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver Toothbrush
- The Doctor Who Comeback with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper
- Desktop Patrol Dalek

Miss a day? No worries, you can go back and create a lens for the days you missed if you’d like.

Are you new (or newer) to Squidoo? You’re welcome to participate too. Here’s a short tutorial on how to use our lists (which I call The Idea Factory): https://www.dropbox.com/s/di3sbx44xs2t12s/The%20Idea%20Factory.pdf.

Happy reviewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment