Monday, November 25, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Melissa and Doug Toy Lenses From Yesterday’s Quest Of The Day

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 08:30 AM PST

Have you been following our Quest of the Day where everyday we share a new lensmaking idea via a Curation list?

Yesterday we featured a pretty neat Melissa and Doug Toy list.  It’s not too late to add your own  Melissa and Doug toy review.   Visit the Curation lens HERE and click “Review It” on the product of your choice to get started.  When you’re done, stop back here and post the link to your lens in the comments section so we can all take a look.

Not interested in playthings?  That’s okay.   Today’s Quest of the Day is about movies. Visit HERE to see that list and to get started.

Magical See & Spell Toy from Melissa & Doug

1. Magical See & Spell Toy from Melissa & Doug

I was given to understand that Melissa & Doug Products are seen by many as the number one choice for the Toddler- Preschool plus age group, into which my three- year old grand- daughter neatly fits. We decided, when getting a present for her, that…

Suspend Physics and Capture Your Kid's Attention with this Melissa and Doug Game

2. Suspend Physics and Capture Your Kid’s Attention with this Melissa and Doug Game

I first played this game with my daughter at a friend’s house many months ago. Since we had such a blast playing it, I decided to add it to our significant game collection at home. This game is so much fun to play and can garner the attention and exci…

Little ones LOVE the Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Easel

3. Little ones LOVE the Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Easel

When Robin, our Community Organizer, posted Melissa and Doug Toys To Fuel Their Imagination on Squidoo’s Quest of the Day, I was thrilled. I’ve always been impressed with the quality of this product line. Previously, I reviewed Melissa &…

More Than Just Another ABC Puzzle

4. More Than Just Another ABC Puzzle

‘Mom,’ I remember hearing Ayden say impatiently. Ayden was one of my favorite two year olds library visitors, and he loved to do the puzzles, carefully going through each of them on his visits. But like any two year old, his enthusiasm could some…

Realistic Role Play For Little Girls: Chef Dress Up Set

5. Realistic Role Play For Little Girls: Chef Dress Up Set

My daughter- in- law is smartly trying to lead my granddaughters away from the princess image that is so popular for little girls right now. Don’t get me wrong, they’ve both got plenty of princess playthings that they love but she’s actively…

Quest of the Day: Top 250 Movies Of All Time

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 05:05 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 8.04.20 AMAre you a movie fanatic? Then we’ll bet there’s a bunch of movies on this list that you just love. So grab some popcorn and start writing. Share why a movie on this lens moved, inspired or just made you laugh. We can wait to see your recommendations.

Lens of the Day: No-Bake Huckleberry Cheesecake Pie

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 04:53 AM PST

25 Top Rock Album Reviews: Find Your Favorite, Compare Notes

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 12:25 PM PST

Making Memories with Dire Straits Making Movies

1. Making Memories with Dire Straits Making Movies

I bought a digitally remastered vinyl version of this album and it still holds a special place in my music collection because of the memories the tracks evoke the moment I hear them even today. Musically the eighties was an interesting period it saw the de…

Sgt. Pepper's is my touchstone album

2. Sgt. Pepper’s is my touchstone album

The week before graduation, David got this album. It was an off night and we were all a little pensive. Our group of six was leaving high school and going in different directions. David,George, and John were heading to different states for college. Sue was…

Like a Rolling Stone Bob Dylan & I Both Individually Roll on Through Life

3. Like a Rolling Stone Bob Dylan & I Both Individually Roll on Through Life

As a child I never expected my life to veer from the tepid buoyant pebbles- in- the- road path I thought my parents followed. But then as a teen, when I heard Like a Rolling Stone, I visualized a big hulking chiseled round boulder, hot in pursuit of the no…

Timeless Rock from Deep Purple

4. Timeless Rock from Deep Purple

Machine Head is a hard rock album I listen to regularly even with my high school kids in the car. Among my six children, I have a sound engineer, a drummer, a bass player, and a flutist. (The other two prefer drama and dancing. ) We all enjoy a wide range…

Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is Still Awesome Today

5. Bon Jovi’s Slippery When Wet is Still Awesome Today

The first time I heard rock ‘n roll magic via Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, David Bryan, and Tico Torres, better known simply as Bon Jovi, I couldn’t have been more than six or seven years old. Nearly thirty years later, I still can’t resist…

The Eagles' Hotel California

6. The Eagles’ Hotel California

In 1976 I was living in Indiana, having recently moved back to my hometown from the state of Nevada. But living in the southwest had accustomed me to a certain musical sound I identify as the ‘West Coast Sound. ‘ When The Eagles came out with the…

Purple Rain by Prince

7. Purple Rain by Prince

This album is one of my favorites by Prince and the Revolution. It is the soundtrack to the hit movie back in the 1980′s, It has nine songs on the album. My favorite song is Purple Rain. The beginning of the Purple Rain song says: I never meant to cau…

Queen:  A Classic Rock Essential

8. Queen: A Classic Rock Essential

I am a massively huge Queen fan. My best friend Joan got me into them. She is a Queen superfan. A long time ago when I asked her to recommend a Queen album for me, this is the one she told me to get. We were in Best Buy and they had a copy, so I snarfed it…

The Greatest American Album Ever

9. The Greatest American Album Ever

There was a time when I believed the only rock music I would ever like came from Great Britain. Progressive rock was my thing, and there were so many amazing and dazzling British bands that certainly caught my fancy. I never thought I’d listen to…

Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream

10. Smashing Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream

Review (My Thoughts) Opening thoughts For me bands of the late’80s and ’90s summarize my musical education. I remember myself listening to rock since. well, forever I guess. So one day while looking to buy Nirvana’s ‘In Utero’ on v…

Disraeli Gears by Cream: Retrospective review

11. Disraeli Gears by Cream: Retrospective review

Classic rock – Clapton, Bruce & Baker In 1967 I wasn’t yet a teenager. But as Christmas approached, my mum asked me what gifts I would really love. Top of the list was Disraeli Gears. The 1960s This was a wonderful era in which to grow up. The…

Prince-Purple Reign

12. Prince-Purple Reign

Dig, if you will, the picture. Those were the first words that would lead to the beginning of Prince’s Purple Reign. The lyrics are the first lines from “When Doves Cry” and that’s how the phenomenon began. From the first time I heard P…

The Inspirational Sgt Pepper Album

13. The Inspirational Sgt Pepper Album

There is no doubt in my mind that the iconic album – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – was and still is one of THE most important rock & roll albums ever made. The Beatles, I humbly submit, were in fact the greatest rock & roll g…

The Bono Connection to Tom Waits

14. The Bono Connection to Tom Waits

It all started with a teenage obsession with Bono. I had seen U2 perform their ‘WAR’ tour at the Cleveland Music Hall and was hooked. After that concert, I read every single article I could find about Bono and his life. Nowadays, when obsessed wi…

Black Sabbath Paranoid

15. Black Sabbath Paranoid

It was right in the top row of the Top 100 Rock Albums Of All Time: Black Sabbath – Paranoid. And memories kept flooding back! Paranoid was the first album I ever owned. And I loved it for years, much to the horror of my parents. I still love it. At the ti…

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Album

16. The Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Album

About: This Beatles’ album changed the world of music with its psychedelic themes. Their music went from happy rock’n'roll songs, singing about love & romance to deep haunting lyrics such as the song ‘A Day in the Life’; ab…

Classic Dylan on Highway 61

17. Classic Dylan on Highway 61

This is one of Bob Dylan’s most classic albums, not only because it contains the immortal hit ‘Like a Rolling Stone,’ but because of the sheer poetry of all of the songs on the record. The album consists of some of Dylan’s most well- lo…

Jethro Tull is timeless, my friend!

18. Jethro Tull is timeless, my friend!

Jethro Tull was one of the best concert bands of the ’70′s. When I was attending the University of Alabama in the 70′s, the University Program Council booked some of greatest concerts (I saw the Rolling Stones, Yes, The Who). One of the best…

Van Halen, the  Album that Defined my Youth!

19. Van Halen, the Album that Defined my Youth!

I took piano lessons when I was small, but even before that time I was a songwriter. I can recall actually dictating lyrics to my dad, before I knew how to spell all the words. I never got into the piano after being whacked a few times on the knuckles by M…

Uriah Heep, Demons and Wizards and so much more!

20. Uriah Heep, Demons and Wizards and so much more!

Uriah Heep, wow, this group brings back so many memories. I loved Uriah Heep, I was introduced to them in the early 70′s and immediately fell in love with their music, their lyrics, their feel, their look, and couldn’t believe so many people neve…

Bob Dylan's Break Out, Highway 61 Revisited

21. Bob Dylan’s Break Out, Highway 61 Revisited

Bob Dylan’s First Perfect Album, Highway 61 Revisited I’ll never forget the first time I heard Like A Rolling Stone, the song leading off Highway 61 Revisited. I was seventeen, and like Bob Dylan, I’d just declared my independence. On Highwa…

Review of VIVID:  Vernon Reid's Cult of Personality

22. Review of VIVID: Vernon Reid’s Cult of Personality

What is VIVID? It’s groundbreaking, in- your- face metal with a funk backbeat by the group Living Colour. The big hit from this album, of course, is the song Cult of Personality, but other great songs fleshed out the group’s influences; metal, ro…

Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power: That's How You Name a Metal Album

23. Pantera’s Vulgar Display of Power: That’s How You Name a Metal Album

Back before I became Squidoo’s resident jazz aficionado, when my hair was a little longer, OK, a lot longer, I used to be into some pretty heavy S@#t. Bands like Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth received heavy rotation on the tape deck and in the car….

Slippery When Wet - The Love Affair Begins

24. Slippery When Wet – The Love Affair Begins

I’ve been having a long- distance love affair with the boys from Bon Jovi for more than 25 years, and it all started with the debut of their album Slippery When Wet. Of course, I wasn’t alone in this ‘affair’. I can’t even say I…

Guns-N-Roses Best Album Of All Time

25. Guns-N-Roses Best Album Of All Time

When I first heard the songs on Guns – N- Roses’ Appetite For Destruction in 1988, I knew I had to have this album. The ballad, Sweet Child O’ Mine won my heart instantly as did Paradise City and Mr. Brownstone. Axl Rose’s energetic singing…

Yummy and Gluten Free? Absolutely!

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 10:01 AM PST

If you’re on a Gluten Free diet, hurry over to each of the following lenses to find something you’ll absolutely love.

Chocolate almond torte

1. Chocolate almond torte

Whenever I want a deeply decadent chocolate treat that is as quick as it is easy, this surprisingly simple, gluten- free Italian torte leaps to mind. From start to finish, it takes less than thirty minutes, but it tastes like a baker’s specialty- and…

Chocolate Snowballs (G-F Vegan Macaroons)

2. Chocolate Snowballs (G-F Vegan Macaroons)

My man- servant loves chocolate macaroons. So, I wanted to surprise him by making some, but I also wanted my recipe to be gluten- free and vegan. Initially, I found an amazing video (with only 4 ingredients) on YouTube by Upwave titled: Gluten Free Dark Ch…

Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

3. Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

Sometimes all you want is a delicious, chewy and gooey dessert bar. These Gluten Free Chocolate Oatmeal Bars definitely fit that description. Besides being made with gluten free ingredients, they also include healthy stuff like peanut butter, applesauce an…

Broccoli Soup - Easy and Gluten Free

4. Broccoli Soup – Easy and Gluten Free

Easy and gluten free, this broccoli soup is perfect on a chilly day and oh so healthy. I always cooked with flour and wheat products until my oldest child was diagnosed with celiac disease. I had to learn to make healthy, tasty dishes without these ingredi…

GLUTEN-FREE TOFU CHEESECAKE RECIPE

5. GLUTEN-FREE TOFU CHEESECAKE RECIPE

Getting together with the whole family is a big deal for us. That’s why the food is really important because you want to make everyone happy. My sister gave me this recipe, she is a vegetarian and loves desserts. I also have an uncle that is allergic…

No comments:

Post a Comment