Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Classic TV Lenses from our Pop Culture Club

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 08:36 AM PST

A recent Squidoo Pop Culture Club Quest asked members to share a new lens about their favorite classic television show.

Browse through to see if any of your favorite TV shows are listed.  Visit the lenses.  Have fun!

PS… One of these terrific lenses will be featured as Lens of the Day on Wednesday 11/27/2013.

Bewitched: More than just a fun TV show

1. Bewitched: More than just a fun TV show

Bewitched: Classic TV portraying issues of the day I watched this TV show every Friday at six o’clock when I was a kid. My weekly treat was a sixpenny bar of Cadbury’s chocolate and that, along with a funny TV series, created a perfect half- hour…

Classic Doctor Who - Rare and Lost Episodes

2. Classic Doctor Who – Rare and Lost Episodes

Anyone who knows me will be well aware that I am a massive Doctor Who Fan and have been for many years. So when I was asked what I would consider to be classic television I didn’t even have to think about it! When it comes to Classic Television then s…

Best Sitcom of the 1990s: Saved by the Bell

3. Best Sitcom of the 1990s: Saved by the Bell

As a tween in the 90s, I was in love with Zachary “Zach” Morris. Who is Zach Morris you ask? Well, he was only the coolest guy alive at Bayside High School in Palisades, California, and the star of the sitcom Saved by the Bell. Zach (Mark- Paul G…

The Real Ghostbusters

4. The Real Ghostbusters

When I was in primary school, there were a lot of great cartoons on TV. We had ThunderCats, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Masters of the Universe and Bucky O’Hare to name just a few, but out of all of these classics, my favourite was easily Ghostbuster…

Inspector Gadget: Favorite childhood cartoon, and now my kids' favorite too!

5. Inspector Gadget: Favorite childhood cartoon, and now my kids’ favorite too!

This show is so wacky, I can’t imagine any kid not loving it. The original episodes aired Saturday mornings from 1983 to 1986, and I always made sure to watch. I was four to seven years old during these years, the absolute perfect age. Inspector Gadge…

Richard Green's TV Robin Hood

6. Richard Green’s TV Robin Hood

Okay, so I’m not really old enough to have seen this when it first aired. But I have to say that Richard Green’s Robin Hood is my all- time favorite version. The scenery is ACTUALLY English countryside and the castle scenes are actual castles wit…

Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds: A TV Cult Classic

7. Gerry Anderson’s Thunderbirds: A TV Cult Classic

If it weren’t for the influence of certain television programs, the landscape of 1960s British playgrounds would have been completely different. Doctor Who most probably had the biggest impact, but a close runner- up was Gerry Anderson’s Thunderb…

Late Nights with Johnny Carson

8. Late Nights with Johnny Carson

When you think about late night television, who comes to mind for you? Is it Letterman or Jay Leno, or even later evening shows like Jimmy Fallon? For our family, late night TV just had to be the latest episode of Johnny Carson. He was this very straight l…

My Earliest Memories of Edgy, Comedic Televison

9. My Earliest Memories of Edgy, Comedic Televison

I have always danced close the edge of life and I think 70′s T. V. is to blame. Controversial T. V. show such as All In The Family (71′- 79′) were certainly an influence in adding words to my vocabulary such as dingbat and meat head, but the…

Little Einsteins â€

10. Little Einsteins â€" Watch, Learn and Grow

Have you ever found a cartoon that has helped to teach your kids? The reason I am asking is that there are a lot of cartoons on the market. And most of them are there to be watched and enjoyed. To take a smile away and not much more. Yes you will probably…

Watch The Brady Bunch Anytime

11. Watch The Brady Bunch Anytime

Here’s a Story . . . This is a series about a gentleman who is widowed with three young boys who falls in love and marries a woman with three young girls. Together, along with a lovable housekeeper, they make up the amusingly entertaining group known…

Changing Times: "All in the Family"

12. Changing Times: “All in the Family”

One of the most popular, controversial and influential television programs ever made, ‘All in the Family’ is remembered not only for its memorable cast of characters but for its ability to tactfully tackle political and social issues during the t…

How the Grinch Stole Christmas Gift Set

13. How the Grinch Stole Christmas Gift Set

We grew up watching and re- watching the animated television version of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas every year when it appeared on television and, therefore, it is firmly embedded in our family’s holiday culture. The story was first…

Smurfs Monopoly Board Game

14. Smurfs Monopoly Board Game

My life changed forever in 1981, that’s when the Smurfs hit Saturday morning cartoons. for you young kids that’s the one day a week that cartoons were on, we didn’t have cartoon networks or TiVos if you missed it you were just out of luck. A…

Horsing around with Mr. Ed

15. Horsing around with Mr. Ed

My love for horses and Mr. Ed started at an early age. My Grandfather raised horses, mostly Palomino and Dapple Gray. Although I never owned any of my own, I was always fascinated at how smart they were. Most of the people from the 1960′s (my era), gr…

Family Ties

16. Family Ties

For a family that didn’t own a television set for couple of decades, during the child rearing years, we saw a surprising amount of Family Ties. We all knew who was who and each had our own favorite character. We lived in a rural area on acreage that h…

Top Movie Reviews From Yesterday’s Quest of the Day

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 07:09 AM PST

Yesterday’s Quest of the Day was all about the Top Movies Of All Time and we got some great reviews in. Visit each of the following lenses to see them all.

When you’re done, visit the Movie Curation list to see if there’s anything there that you’d like to review. Click the purple button to get started. When you’re done, you can come back here and add the link to your own new movie review in the comments section. We’d love to know what your favorite movie of all time is.

Finding Nemo

1. Finding Nemo

I couldn’t resist watching this again once I chose it to review. Just finished, so I am writing this with a smile on my face. Finding Nemo is one of those movies that does that to you. Yes, I bought it. No, I don’t have any small children at home…

Being On This List, Means You Have a Chance!

2. Being On This List, Means You Have a Chance!

Today in our society we are a people who thrive on lists and list making. There are the Must Do Lists, the Want to Do Lists, and Grocery Lists and on and on. Now for most of us, these lists are sometimes important lists and sometimes they are trivial at be…

Ridley Scott's Blade Runner Starring Harrison Ford - A Favorite 80's Instant Cult Classic

3. Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner Starring Harrison Ford – A Favorite 80′s Instant Cult Classic

‘Time to Die’ Blade Runner by director Ridley Scott is one of my all time favorite movies. It’s a classic action- adventure futurism movie starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, and Edward James Olmos. It was released in 1982 and…

Inglourious Basterds Film Review

4. Inglourious Basterds Film Review

Another violent Quentin Tarantino blockbuster. Although I may, in all honesty, not be much of a fan of Tarantino as a person, he always seems to hit the spot with his films. Not for the faint of heart, like all of Tarantino’s films, this will get your…

Rosemary's Baby: A city horror film

5. Rosemary’s Baby: A city horror film

New York, 1968 I like films that are scary but I also prefer them not to have computer- generated monsters and completely outlandish plots. Finding horror in ordinary situations is somehow more frightening than seeing creatures that you know have been crea…

Fight Club: I Can't Talk About It

6. Fight Club: I Can’t Talk About It

The First Rule About Fight Club: You Do Not Talk About Fight Club This may be a short review. To tell the truth, I wouldn’t want to talk too much about the glory that is this film. I was definitely late to the party when I saw it. I knew nothing about…

Blues Brothers - 1980

7. Blues Brothers – 1980

Best Movie Ever This is the best movie I have ever seen, indubitably and undoubtedly. I absolutely love this movie and watch it every once in a while. It has the best music, the best dancing, the best car chase, and the best story line ever. Brothers Jake…

The King's Speech: A must-see film

8. The King’s Speech: A must-see film

The king’s stammer The nineteen twenties and thirties were hard for Britain. The First World War was still fresh in most people’s memory and there were further hardships and troubles to come. In addition to this the Royal Family, whose duty is wa…

The Unforgettable Horror of The Exorcist

9. The Unforgettable Horror of The Exorcist

I can clearly remember it having been a nice afternoon, weather- wise, in Derby on that fateful day that my girlfriend of the time – the lovely Hilary – persuaded me to take her to the matinee showing of the latest film release, which she said was being ta…

The Truman Show: Wow, what a movie

10. The Truman Show: Wow, what a movie

The Truman Show – a film to watch over and over If you have never seen this film and you have no idea what it’s about, then I urge you to buy it now, read no reviews, (not even the DVD sleeve) and watch it with no preconceptions at all. That’s ho…

Django Unchained: Tarantino Brings His 'A' Game.

11. Django Unchained: Tarantino Brings His ‘A’ Game.

Parents, it’s time to put your children to bed before you watch this one. Django Unchained Directed by Quentin Tarantino Starring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio I will start out by saying that Quentin Tarantino is a pretty neat guy….

The Graduate: Classic movie

12. The Graduate: Classic movie

A young graduate discovers life Benjamin Braddock has just graduated and his parents have high hopes for his future. Ben is uncertain though. After a fascinating series of events, and the fact that they mainly take place in a hotel room gives to a clue s t…

"Grave of the Fireflies" from the Expat's Point of View

13. “Grave of the Fireflies” from the Expat’s Point of View

I first saw ‘Grave of the Fireflies’ when I was a teenager. When I saw it again- as an Army veteran and an expat in Japan- it had a completely different effect on me. ‘Grave of the Fireflies’ is an animated film directed by Isao Takahat…

Pan's Labyrinth is a Favorite Dark Fairy Tale Adventure Film

14. Pan’s Labyrinth is a Favorite Dark Fairy Tale Adventure Film

An Adventure of Beauty in Traditional Dark Fairy Tale Design I’m so excited to share this movie with you. Perhaps you have already seen it. If so, then this review can be a nice trip down memory lane for you. If you haven’t seen it, I really invi…

Let Disney's Pixar Take You "Up" with this Feel Good Movie

15. Let Disney’s Pixar Take You “Up” with this Feel Good Movie

In 2009, Disney Pixar released Up, an animated comedy that touched the hearts of everyone who watched it and made people laugh too. I saw this film with my daughter and husband and we laughed, cried, and truly enjoyed it. Unlike many Pixar movies that are…

Quest of the Day: 50-Plus Awesome Americana Albums

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 04:59 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 7.58.39 AMAmericana is kind of a hazy music genre. It incorporates country, blues, folk, rock, rockabilly, gospel, boogie-woogie, Dixieland jazz, bluegrass, old-time music (sometimes even hip-hop) and whatever else you’d like to add. It’s seriously individual, and actually, many Americana artists don’t necessarily classify themselves as such. They just make amazing music as singers, songwriters, amazing melodists, and instrumentalists.

Lens of the Day: The Autumn Colors of Okuni Shrine

Posted: 26 Nov 2013 04:44 AM PST

Sweet! 9 Sweet Potato Recipe Lenses

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 12:04 PM PST

I think sweet potatoes are an almost universal addition to everyone’s Thanksgiving bounty.

Visit the following lenses to find nine different ways to prepare and serve them this year.

Cider-Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple (& toasted nuts on top)

1. Cider-Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple (& toasted nuts on top)

Even though we Canadians already celebrated Thanksgiving (October 14th, 2013), we often try to befriend an American just in time to enjoy a second helping of Thanksgiving food. This year, our friends south of the border will be celebrating Thanksgiving on…

Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

2. Sweet Potato Bread Pudding

Do you love bread pudding but are looking for something a little bit different for Thanksgiving or holiday dessert? Sweet Potato Bread Pudding is a perfect way to jazz up your holiday dinner desserts. I am one who would never serve a plain dessert without…

Daigaku Imo-A Delicious Japanese Sweet Potato Treat

3. Daigaku Imo-A Delicious Japanese Sweet Potato Treat

My favorite sweet potato dish My mother is simply crazy about sweet potatoes. In fact, she used to have a basket of baked steamed sweet potatoes lying on the kitchen counter at least twice a week for many years so it’s not surprising that’s it…

Baked & Mashed Sweet Potatoes - My Favorite Way to Eat Them!

4. Baked & Mashed Sweet Potatoes – My Favorite Way to Eat Them!

Sweet potatoes have been a part of my diet for as long as I can remember. My grandmother, mother, and I have all loved sweet potatoes, and I’m not talking about marshmallow- topped sweet potato casserole either. When I was little, my grandmother would…

The easiest, yummiest, candies yams ever

5. The easiest, yummiest, candies yams ever

I love Candied yams, I really take short cuts on this one though and they are still so yummy, these are again one of my favorites. My mom always got the real yams and boiled them cut them up, peeled them the whole nine yards and I think mine taste every bi…

Easy mashed yams in the slow cooker

6. Easy mashed yams in the slow cooker

Call me weird, but just say the words ‘candied yams’ and my gag reflex kicks in. Growing up, I couldn’t swallow a single bite. As an adult, I taught myself to reign in the gag reflex, so I could politely add them to my plate, but it was a pa…

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Pineapple

7. Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar and Pineapple

Sweet potatoes are not only delicious they are also good for our health. Vitamin A (more than 400%), Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 just to name a few. It even helps the production of collagen which helps maintain skin looking young. The recipe I’m sharing is…

Sweet & Simple Sweet Potatoes

8. Sweet & Simple Sweet Potatoes

The Dilemma As a newlywed one of the first things I discovered about my husband was that he did not like sweet potatoes. My grandma’s method of preparation was the traditional candied kind but that was exactly the kind my husband refused to eat. To hi…

Sweet Potato and Apples Upside Down Casserole

9. Sweet Potato and Apples Upside Down Casserole

My friends at the local food co- op gave me a basket full of fruits and veggies. Lots of apples and one huge sweet potato. I thought those two things would go together nicely. That’s how I came up with Sweet Potato and Apples Upside Down Casserole. En…

7 Fun Toys and Games

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 11:48 AM PST

Why I Love Our Playmobil Pirate Ship

1. Why I Love Our Playmobil Pirate Ship

I bought a playmobil pirate ship over 20 years ago for my sister’s son. She then gave it to her second son and in the end passed it back to me when my son was 4. It was still in great condition, which is testimony to how well playmobil toys are made a…

Indoor or outdoor Pop up Tunnel

2. Indoor or outdoor Pop up Tunnel

When my son started crawling it was a busy time in the household. We thought we had child proofed everything but they don’t go for the most obvious things. You live and learn. This toy came in handy when we purchased it, when he was about 9 months old…

Lego Creationary Board Game

3. Lego Creationary Board Game

Creationary Game is one of the coolest game i have ever played. Because in this board game we have to build some vehicles, buildings, nature or things with LEGOs in limited time. Sounds interesting, right? Normally, while we were building something with LE…

Live Butterfly Garden - A Review

4. Live Butterfly Garden – A Review

We bought this kit and raised five butterflies in the spring of 2013. It was the best experience for my children, who were three and five at the time. We learned so much through it all. A startling sight was the red meconium the butterflies release during…

Ball Of Whacks - Imaginative Fun!

5. Ball Of Whacks – Imaginative Fun!

I was looking for a creative gift for an adult who enjoys puzzles and logical thinking, so I was delighted to find the Ball of Whacks designed by Roger von Oech. The Ball of Whacks is a set of 30 colored right golden rhombic pyramid shaped magnets. You man…

Great sensory/fine motor fun with beads,string and pattern cards

6. Great sensory/fine motor fun with beads,string and pattern cards

My little guy has sensory issues and was home with me until he started grade K this year. This toy is amazing for its ease of use and fun factor. Nice big bright beads and a smooth lace with a good tip made is easy for him to create fun patterns and copy t…

Cards Against Humanity - Laugh Until You Hurt

7. Cards Against Humanity – Laugh Until You Hurt

Every now and then along comes a great game and Cards Against Humanity is one of those. I remember very well buying Trivial Pursuits, a game that caught the Nation’s attention. Well I would put this game right up there along side that one. The game ap…

Educational Insights Design and Drill Review

8. Educational Insights Design and Drill Review

My two oldest boys had the Educational Insights Design and Drill set when they were little. However, my girls loved it too. It is a great toy because it fills the desire little ones have to use power tools like Daddy, but it is completely safe. This toy te…

IMMINENT! Holiday Traditions

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 10:30 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-25 at 1.29.15 PMThis week out Giant Squids shared a holiday tradition that;s close to their heart!

Each lensmaster featured here also got an IMMINENT! raffle ticket.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don’t miss out on the fun?check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Christmas Gift--A Family Tradition

1. Christmas Gift–A Family Tradition

When thinking over our family traditions, several possibilities came to mind, beginning with Thanksgiving and going all the way up to New Year’s Day. I had much to choose from . . . Would it be Thanksgiving when the family gathered for a feast of succ…

Our Holiday Tradition - Camping in the Fall Season

2. Our Holiday Tradition – Camping in the Fall Season

In the early 1980′s, when our kids were still rather young, we used to go camping in the Belgium Ardenne during the Fall Holidays. We had found this very back to basic camping site, situated along the river the Ourthe, close to the city La Roche- en-…

The Seattle Gingerbread House Village

3. The Seattle Gingerbread House Village

One of my favorite holiday traditions is to go visit the Gingerbread Village on display at the Seattle Sheraton Hotel. For the past 20 years, some of Seattle’s best architects and chefs have worked together to design and create these fantastic works o…

How to Make a Handmade Gift for a Teacher

4. How to Make a Handmade Gift for a Teacher

At Christmas time my kids and I like to make gifts for people. It’s something that we can do together and it’s really special for the recipient. In our family, we have quite a few teachers, myself included, so we like to create a gift that is tea…

Pierogi - My Favorite Holiday Tradition

5. Pierogi – My Favorite Holiday Tradition

When I think about holiday traditions the first thing that pops into my mind is the word, Pierogi. It might sound a bit strange but these little pillows of doughy delight are an incredibly important and sentimental part of Christmas for my family. Pierogi…

Tia Maria Liqueur Coffee: A family treat

6. Tia Maria Liqueur Coffee: A family treat

Tia Maria Coffee: A delicious treat This is a family treat that we reserve for special occasions. My mum started this family tradition by serving it at about 11 am every Christmas morning. It is totally delicious and would serve as ‘a hair of the dog&…

How to Play Apples to Apples Traditional Game for the Holidays

7. How to Play Apples to Apples Traditional Game for the Holidays

Apples to Apples is a hilariously fun card game, which up to ten people can play. This is an excellent game for a small group of four people and even better for a large party crowd to play. No complicated instructions and rules. Apples to Apples board game…

Creative Scrapbooking Calendars - The Perfect Craft To Share With A Senior Citizen Friend

8. Creative Scrapbooking Calendars – The Perfect Craft To Share With A Senior Citizen Friend

During the years I was my elderly Mom’s caregiver, I frequently scratched my head to find activities to keep her elderly mind engaged and off her pillow! When I heard about making our own creative calendar, I knew I had hit the nail on the head. Creat…

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Gift Set

9. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Gift Set

Rudolph the Red- Nosed Reindeer is a television show that we and many of our peers grew up with. That is, the 1964 animated Rankin/Bass television story. We shared the story with our children when they were growing up and we still look forward to watching…

Homemade and Local for the Holidays - A Family Tradition

10. Homemade and Local for the Holidays – A Family Tradition

We spend a lot of time on holiday gifts, but not a lot of money. Most of our gifts are handmade for the people we love – family, friends, co- workers. Some others are special local items that celebrate the region of the state and country where we live. Why…

Sumptuous Sherry trifle

11. Sumptuous Sherry trifle

Every Christmas, without fail, I love to make my own version of English Sherry Trifle, which to me is the main sweet treat of my festive season celebrations. I always make a trifle big enough to serve six, so it lasts the two of us two days at least, and w…

My Christmas = A Charlie Brown Christmas & the Original Soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi

12. My Christmas = A Charlie Brown Christmas & the Original Soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi

Charlie Brown Christmas music has always been the best loved holiday music in my home; both as a child and as an adult. Little did I know how talented Mr. Guaraldi was. Had I paused to think, it should have been clear that the artist and art was something…

Homemade with Love at Christmas

13. Homemade with Love at Christmas

The family started making homemade gifts during the lean years of our childhood. It became a family tradition that carries on even though 50 years has passed. Dad could take part from worn out bicycles and mix- and- match them to make one that after he pai…

What Advent Really Means

14. What Advent Really Means

As Christmas draws near, one of the fixtures of the season are ‘Advent’ calendars. These are often colourful images printed on cardboard with windows, numbered from 1- 24, that are opened to reveal a tiny chocolate. Others are wall hangings with…

Jingle Bell Run, Turkey Trot, Holiday Fun Run - in a Santa Costume!

15. Jingle Bell Run, Turkey Trot, Holiday Fun Run – in a Santa Costume!

Runners live a solitary life logging in the miles through streets and trails, often in the dark and cold. 10k races are a celebration of all that hard work. Happiness radiates from the starting line. Some 10k runs are especially fun. During the holiday sea…

Secret Surprise Shopping, A Holiday Tradition

16. Secret Surprise Shopping, A Holiday Tradition

Christmas traditions are truly unique. They represent our heritage, our families, our individual circumstances and sometimes our sense of humor. Some are brought about by hardships while others are brought on by wealth- like Dickens’ Christmas Carol….

The Ornament Box: A Family Tradition

17. The Ornament Box: A Family Tradition

We get to open a treasure chest before every Christmas! Well, not exactly a chest filled with gold and jewels, but even better. Our chest is filled with ornaments! Homemade ones and store bought ones, ones that jingle, ones that were gifts, ones from my ch…

How An Egg And Copy Paper Became A Tradition

18. How An Egg And Copy Paper Became A Tradition

We have a tradition in our house that requires me to create an angel from a piece of copy paper and an eggshell. The angel was first created for Christmas in 1971, which was my husband’s and my first Christmas as a married couple. We were young, had n…

Annabree Writes About Her Christmas Traditions.

19. Annabree Writes About Her Christmas Traditions.

Somewhere along the lines, between all the boxes, bows, presents and gift cards, we forget the true meaning of Christmas. We adults get so caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season; worrying about what material thing to get who, or what we…

Christmas Eve Pajamas

20. Christmas Eve Pajamas

When I was a kid, we always got to open one present on Christmas Eve night. It was from my grandmother and it was always a new pair of warm pajamas. This meant we got to snuggle up in our beds to eagerly await Christmas morning in brand new PJs. It was a w…

Heirloom Giftwrap

21. Heirloom Giftwrap

Wrapping gifts is something I look forward to each year. It’s part of the anticipation of the holiday to come and making a special package is a chance to get a little creative. When my daughter was in elementary school, all the kids sold wrapping pape…

25 Days of Christmas - How We Get Ready for the Big Day!

22. 25 Days of Christmas – How We Get Ready for the Big Day!

Every year since we married, we’ve made a tradition of celebrating during the whole 24 days before Christmas (and sometimes after Christmas too). Participating in fun and festive activities really helps us get into the Christmas spirit. Since money is…

Use a Center Hole Punch to Make Bottle Cap Snowmen

23. Use a Center Hole Punch to Make Bottle Cap Snowmen

Each year before Christmas I like to spend time with my grandkids making a few ornaments or other craft for Christmas. One year we painted angels made from wood. My granddaughter glued those googly eyes on hers. They were so cute! Another year we wrapped a…

Sousababy's Holiday Traditions

24. Sousababy’s Holiday Traditions

When I was a kid, I didn’t question how Santa managed to visit all the children in one night. But I remember being glad that Canada was close to the North Pole (for sure, he’d make it to our house). And, I know I heard reindeer land on our roof….

Pierogi make a traditional Christmas Eve dish for the Wigilia meal

25. Pierogi make a traditional Christmas Eve dish for the Wigilia meal

There is no doubt about it, family and guests flock to the Wigilia table when steaming hot dishes filled with oven- browned and onion- butter drenched pierogi are present. Pierogi, not only taste awesome, but are one of the traditional dishes served at Wig…

Cutting Our Own Tree

26. Cutting Our Own Tree

One of my favorite Christmas traditions with my children was cutting the tree. Maybe we have watched too much of The Homecoming, The Waltons, and Father Knows Best, but we loved the tradition of it all. We live in California, not the back woods of Virginia…

The Polar Express

27. The Polar Express

This is a long time tradition in our family, now three generations deep and still going. Every year my brothers and I would watch as my dad set the Christmas tree in its stand. As he was stringing the lights around the tree, we would run up to the attic an…

Our Journey to Christmas

28. Our Journey to Christmas

As a devoted Christian, my journey towards one of the most Holy Holidays begins long before Christmas Eve! As a matter of fact Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are the culmination of all the preparations that have been going on for weeks. Our family’s…

Coffee is my only Tradition

29. Coffee is my only Tradition

It’s hard to remember to slow down and in a world of now now now it’s becoming more difficult to find reasons to do so. As a member of a giant family who has always had a full- fledged business to run or yet another baby to raise there are few mo…

Vintage Christmas Cards

30. Vintage Christmas Cards

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas The Christmas season arrives in many wonderful ways. For some, the tradition of chopping down a tree, or purchasing one, and taking it home to decorate, marks the beginning of the merry season. For others, p…

Santa Claus Peanut Choco Bar

31. Santa Claus Peanut Choco Bar

Kids just need a reason to celebrate and exchange gifts. So why not make your own Santa- Claus- Peanut- Choco- Bar for class- gift- distribution. This is an exciting craft for kids and my daughter just loves folding and drawing the wrapper. Kids love volun…

My Dazzling Red Cherry Holiday Sweetheart Pastries

32. My Dazzling Red Cherry Holiday Sweetheart Pastries

Count on these flavorful canned pie cherries to make your desserts the hit of the day. They have the same marvelous taste all the ladies in my family used when I was a child and now that I have grandchildren. I use them in my Red Cherry Holiday Sweetheart…

The Santa Sack-A Family Tradition For Generations

33. The Santa Sack-A Family Tradition For Generations

My family has a lot of Christmas traditions, but our Santa Sack tradition has been my favorite since childhood. My family exchanges gifts on Christmas eve and we celebrate with holiday food and song. For generation my family has listened for the Santa spot…

Snowshoeing - A New Winter Tradition

34. Snowshoeing – A New Winter Tradition

It’s that time of year – up here in Canada anyways – when people tend to keep cocooned indoors awaiting the warmer weather. The problem with that is the lack of exercise reduces the health condition. We’ve countered that by purchasing a set of mo…

Chewy, Warm Snickerdoodles and Hot Cocoa: A Perfect Holiday Combination

35. Chewy, Warm Snickerdoodles and Hot Cocoa: A Perfect Holiday Combination

More Than Just a Sugar Cookie While anytime is a perfect time for a fluffy, cinnamony snickerdoodle, the winter holidays are a great excuse to bake up a few batches. Not only do they taste delish, but they make the whole house smell delicious, too. These c…

Bumble The Abominable Snow Monster

36. Bumble The Abominable Snow Monster

Bumble the abominable snowman has been involved in our families Christmas traditions for years. It started when I was very young, watching all the Christmas specials with my older sister. We watched all of them year after year, even when we were no longer…

21 Of Our Most Favorite Kitchen Appliances… Ever!

Posted: 25 Nov 2013 10:00 AM PST

Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt Juice Extractor and Juicing Review

1. Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus 850-Watt Juice Extractor and Juicing Review

I just found a new love of juicing! Never have I had so much energy before! I recently started juicing after I watched the documentary called ‘Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead’ by Joe Cross. It was about his experience with juicing to lose weight, get…

KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer

2. KitchenAid Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer

As an artisan sourdough baker specializing in organic heritage grains, I confess I’d be lost without my Kitchenaid 600 mixer. Pairing the KitchenAid with a Messerschmidt Family Grain Mill made it easy for me to mill my own flour – something my older m…

Breville Makes Juicing Easy

3. Breville Makes Juicing Easy

I have this juicer and I love it. I looked around a lot before deciding to buy this one, I knew I wanted one to last but before I bought, the machine would have to meet certain criteria. Firstly I wanted something robust. I needed a workhorse not something…

I love My Can Opener

4. I love My Can Opener

You may think it silly to be so excited about a can opener but let me share my story with you and I think you will understand. My husband and I have been married for 34 years and during that time we have owned probably ten electric can openers. We have had…

Best Hand Mixer in Town: The Cuisinart HM 90S

5. Best Hand Mixer in Town: The Cuisinart HM 90S

My hand mixer is one small appliance I use several times a week. Personally I think they’re one of the best inventions out there- every home should have one. It’s so easy to use and light weight to hold, I find myself using it for all sorts of th…

One Fantastic Stand Mixer!

6. One Fantastic Stand Mixer!

This is one mixer that just can’t be beat! I have bought two of these mixers in the past, one for my daughter as a shower gift and one for my son as well! I think I will have to get out there and buy another one for myself. These were gifts and they w…

The Juice Extractor Which Has Changed My Lifestyle

7. The Juice Extractor Which Has Changed My Lifestyle

Yes, this is the Juice Extractor which has really changed my lifestyle for the best. You may be asking why. Well, it is because before we were having juices which were sold in the Supermarkets, here I mean, ready made juices in carton boxes. We used to dri…

Aroma 3 cup (uncooked) Rice Cooker and Food Steamer Review

8. Aroma 3 cup (uncooked) Rice Cooker and Food Steamer Review

I’ve had my Aroma Rice Cooker and Food Steamer for about 2 years and use it several times every week. For the most part, I’ve only used it for, well. cooking rice! You can use it for cooking soup, chili, or oatmeal. But, guess what? You can also…

Easy Caramel Corn at Home!

9. Easy Caramel Corn at Home!

We love caramel corn at my house, but used to only buy it when we went to a local seasonal Farmers Market or at the county fair. But then we found the Orville Redenbacher Caramel Corn Maker. Life will never be the same. This is seriously the easiest way to…

Cuisinart Toaster: Kitchen essential

10. Cuisinart Toaster: Kitchen essential

Why the Cuisinart CPT- 435 Countdown 4- Slice Toaster is perfect for us Himself and I have been known to argue about (‘discuss’, sorry) lots of strange subjects and one of them was toast. Until recently, we made toast using the broiler and if it…

Hamilton Beach Eclectric All-Metal Mixer

11. Hamilton Beach Eclectric All-Metal Mixer

This is the mixer I have, except mine is white, and not a gorgeous rich red. Whatever the color, I love this mixer! Every time I get my mixer out of the pantry to use, I am once again amazed at the weight of it. It is very heavy and must be lifted in both…

Hamilton Beach Coffee Pot Friend

12. Hamilton Beach Coffee Pot Friend

My trusty and reliable coffee friend Red sits on my counter. He’s from Hamilton Beach. He waits patiently for me each morning to pour in the water, fill the coffee grounds and press start so he can make a pot of coffee. Sometimes I only want a half of…

Cuisinart 2-Slice Metal Classic Toaster

13. Cuisinart 2-Slice Metal Classic Toaster

The Best Toaster I’ve Ever Owned ~ Cuisinart Somewhere along the way I must have mentioned to my oldest sister that our toaster was on its last days. Being the good soul that she is, she stored the information in her memory bank and surprised us with…

Cuisinart Round Waffle Maker-Carrying On The Family Waffle Recipe

14. Cuisinart Round Waffle Maker-Carrying On The Family Waffle Recipe

I love the smell and taste of freshly made waffles in my kitchen and in my mouth. My family has been making waffles since I can remember. My mom was one of those people who was always cooking in the kitchen and at least once a week we woke to the smell of…

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer-The Best Sous Chef

15. Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer-The Best Sous Chef

Like many people, I have a kitchen filled with gadgets and appliances. Some of these tools I pull out every now and again, while others sit in the back of a drawer and I wonder why I bought them. But without a doubt, my favorite and most used appliance is…

I love my Yonanas!

16. I love my Yonanas!

Who knew that bananas and other fruit would make an ice cream like treat that my child would like. This is the easiest, most impressive way to get the picky eater to devour a healthy snack without thinking twice. Easy to use, this is an impressive kitchen…

All Grown up Mixer

17. All Grown up Mixer

I wanted this mixer SO BAD! We found it on sale a few years ago, and I haven’t regretted getting it for a minute. It does what you ask of it, and I’ve even learned how to make pie crust using the adapter for dough. I have yet to use the meat grin…

Taking it Easy with the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker

18. Taking it Easy with the Crock-Pot Slow Cooker

I see them all the time, but it’s usually around Christmas that they really start ramping it up. The advertisements, featuring hapless, bumbling, foolish men who are in the dog house for committing that most terrible of crimes. They bought their wives…

My Cuisinart Toaster Broiler Convection Oven is a workhorse

19. My Cuisinart Toaster Broiler Convection Oven is a workhorse

Are you looking for a handy Christmas gift for the cook in your life? Consider the versatility of this counter- top toaster/broiler/convection oven. When we moved into our 100- year- old apartment, with very little kitchen counter- top space and only one a…

Making Pasta with a Pasta Machine Plus a Recipe

20. Making Pasta with a Pasta Machine Plus a Recipe

I am Italian and the very proud owner of a pasta machine, which I have had for years and is still as good now as new. My son and I were together all day today, so we decided treat dad by making pasta. My son loves using the pasta machine and it is actually…

KitchenAid Makes Colorful Mixer Gifts

21. KitchenAid Makes Colorful Mixer Gifts

With a KitchenAid Artisan mixer there’s about nothing I can’t cook. Looking back on all my years of family raising I thought I was a fairly fine cook. We made everything from scratch. Truly, meals came from the kitchen or from family and friends&…

No comments:

Post a Comment