Monday, November 4, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Memorable Lenses from our Giants

Posted: 04 Nov 2013 07:42 AM PST

Last week I posted several of the lenses we received from our Giant Squid exclusive Favorite Memory quest.
Here’s a few more for your reading pleasure.

Making Memories at Walt Disney World

1. Making Memories at Walt Disney World

Who doesn’t love Disney World? I still remember the first time I went to Walt Disney World in Florida. I was overwhelmed at the size and scope of this mega- resort and with very little planning, we missed out on a lot that there was to see. Now I…

How a Coleman camp stove became a gift of treasured memories

2. How a Coleman camp stove became a gift of treasured memories

Dawn and the scent of sizzling bacon in the open air The other day someone mentioned the old Coleman propane cook stove we used to take camping, and a flood of memories, sounds and scents poured over and through me. When my kids were growing up, we lived i…

A New Budweiser Clydesdale Christmas Ornament for My Tree in Honor of a Favorite Memory

3. A New Budweiser Clydesdale Christmas Ornament for My Tree in Honor of a Favorite Memory

For me, It’s not about the beer. It’s about the horses. Each year I pick out one special Christmas ornament to add to my collection. Picking out a new ornament has been a tradition in my family since I can remember. I’m all grown- up now (I…

Dragonfly Magic

4. Dragonfly Magic

Dragonflies fly into my world on special days, and often herald quite special moments. I count myself lucky that they treat me as a friend. The first intimation I had that I was developing a relationship with dragonflies came in my early twenties, when one…

IMMINENT! “Favorite Game” Highlight Reel

Posted: 04 Nov 2013 06:24 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 8.57.16 AM

Happy Novmeber!

This week our Giants shared their favorite games. There’s 49 ideas for the holidays. Enjoy!

Each lensmaster featured here also got an IMMINENT! raffle ticket.

Only Giant Squids get to participate in the IMMINENT! challenges. Not a Giant Squid yet? Don't miss out on the fun…check out the Giant Squid program right here.

Image Credit

Catch Phrase is Loads of Family Fun!

1. Catch Phrase is Loads of Family Fun!

One memorable afternoon several years ago, our family needed a fun activity to transform the hum- drum atmosphere into one of fun and excitement. To change bored faces into smiles and laughter all we required was a challenging, interactive game of skill an…

Rummikub = a Social Game

2. Rummikub = a Social Game

Rummikub It’s been a long time since I played Rummikub, at least the game you play sitting at the table with two or four other players. I used to have it on my computer, but after getting a new pc I dont have it anymore, so it must have been an old ga…

Why Ravensburger's Labyrinth Board Game Is Fun For The Whole Family

3. Why Ravensburger’s Labyrinth Board Game Is Fun For The Whole Family

My Best Board Game Buy This Year: Ravensburger’s Labyrinth Labyrinth is a classic game that has been a popular title with many families since the mid 80′s, especially in Europe, but despite this, my family and I only became familiar with it much…

Scrambled States of America Game

4. Scrambled States of America Game

How I came across the Scrambled States Game We originally bought the Scrambled States of America Game because we needed a way to help my daughter remember the 50 states. Like her mother, she suffers from C. R. S. (can’t remember stuff) and we need han…

Pass the Pigs

5. Pass the Pigs

I introduced my nephew Evan to Pass the Pigs about fourteen years ago. There was a time I almost regretted it! For the longest time the first words out of his mouth when he’d see me would be: ‘Let’s play Pass the Pigs! ‘ Fun for kids an…

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: A Blast from the Past, Exemplary in the Contemporary

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: A Blast from the Past, Exemplary in the Contemporary

Gaming in the 90s, for me there was always one video game series that stood out strongly; the Donkey Kong Country series on the Super Nintendo. I have many happy memories of playing this game with friends when I was younger, and it was also a game that I v…

Uncle Wiggily - A Great Game to Grow up With

7. Uncle Wiggily – A Great Game to Grow up With

There are many games out on the market these days. video games seam to be the big seller. But then you get the folks that have been around awhile (like me) and we don’t tend to play the same way as the kids of today do. We seam to be the strange ones…

Yahtzee

8. Yahtzee

Yahtzee! I’ve Got A Yahtzee! We’ve been playing Yahtzee ever since my children were able to do the math, even when that was by counting the dots on the dice, and we’re still playing and my children are, well, let’s just say they’re…

Win The Cold War Game With Twilight Struggle

9. Win The Cold War Game With Twilight Struggle

Twilight Struggle is a fantastic two player strategy game. It’s perfect for the winter season as you can sit down for an evening, share some wine and replay the Cold War on your kitchen table. What is Twilight Struggle? You get to be either the USA or…

Play Scrabble

10. Play Scrabble

I do not know what is going on when I play Scrabble, but the mental activity that goes with it is relaxing for me. Accessing the brain channels that shuffle the letters into recognizable words is diffidently causing brain chemistry to activate. Is it dopam…

Skylanders Giants Best PS3 RPG Game for 7 Year Old Boys

11. Skylanders Giants Best PS3 RPG Game for 7 Year Old Boys

My son is very addicted in playing PS3 RPG games. I don’t restrict him from playing after going to school and doing his assignments, but my problem starts when I notice that he was playing several games intended for 16 years old and above. He didn…

Dance Central - The Ultimate Dance Game

12. Dance Central – The Ultimate Dance Game

There’s no other way to put it but I simply love Dance Central. It’s as if it was created just for me because it combines two of my favorites things to do- dancing and games. Dance Central (I’ll be calling it DC from now on) is available on…

Scrabble Flash a Family Obsession

13. Scrabble Flash a Family Obsession

When my family gets together we always prepare a great dinner and most often challenge each other to a game. We have played many different games over the years from cards to checkers but then we found Scrabble Flash and it became our family tournament. Pla…

Articulate: An Ice-Breaking Board Game

14. Articulate: An Ice-Breaking Board Game

If you haven’t discovered the board game Articulate, you have a treat in store. I absolutely love it! This game was developed in 1992 by Andrew Bryceson and is published by Drumond Park Ltd. There are now also two other variations of the game, Articul…

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Craisins, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola Cheese

15. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Craisins, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola Cheese

When I find a dish that I truly love at a restaurant, I can’t resist trying to replicate it at home. It’s a favorite game that my husband and I play together, and it expands our arsenal of recipes at home. This past summer, I was at the Angry Min…

Trivial Pursuit-The Game Where Age Gives You an Advantage

16. Trivial Pursuit-The Game Where Age Gives You an Advantage

You Know You’re Old When. The older I get, the more trivia I know simply by having been alive when events happened. That’s what gives me an advantage in one of my family’s favorite games, Trivial Pursuit – but it wasn’t always that way….

Don't Risk Your Marriage Playing Star Wars Risk!

17. Don’t Risk Your Marriage Playing Star Wars Risk!

* WARNING* If you love your partner and care that nothing should come between you or put your relationship at Risk, don’t whatever you do, partake in a game of Star Wars Risk! You think I’m being over- dramatic I’m sure but picture this scen…

Creative Storytelling Starts Here: Rory's Story Cubes

18. Creative Storytelling Starts Here: Rory’s Story Cubes

My daughter goes on and on and on when telling about school or a play date. In the car or at breakfast, lunch or dinner, she always has something to say. My son is more of a quiet type with a huge imagination just waiting for an opportunity to share unique…

Dr Who Yahtzee - Great Doctor Who Gift Idea

19. Dr Who Yahtzee – Great Doctor Who Gift Idea

Yahtzee! How the memories come flooding back when I hear the name of one of my favorite games from my youth. We had hours of fun playing the game as a family and in recent years my partner and I have both enjoyed revisiting our youth to play it again. Now,…

Worst-Case Scenario: Family Style

20. Worst-Case Scenario: Family Style

The jury seems split on this game. Read the reviews so you can decide on where you fall. But if you are into a quirky puzzler game with realistic survival- skills trivia; this IS the game for you! My family LOVES this game and we’ve been playing it fo…

Crokinole The Big Kids Game

21. Crokinole The Big Kids Game

When I say a game for big kids I’m actually meaning the adults that are kids at heart. Here in my house this game is played almost every weekend, which is set up in the garage. This crokinole board doesn’t actually belong to us it was brought ove…

Scrabble - My Favorite Game

22. Scrabble – My Favorite Game

Hands down, my favorite board game is Scrabble. The problem is I can never find anyone who wants to play a Scrabble game with me. and it’s not like I’m some super Scrabble champion that people need to fear either. When we were raising the kids I…

Foosball and a Coffee Table? Cool.

23. Foosball and a Coffee Table? Cool.

When I was in college, in the 90s, our little study group used to meet at a local pub to shoot pool and play foosball. The pool tables were rarely available, so most of us settled on foosball (which was also cheaper). Now you might think that only guys can…

Boggle: The Best Word Search Game Ever!

24. Boggle: The Best Word Search Game Ever!

Boggle is one of the best word search games I have ever played! I started playing this game with my mom when I was around 10 years old and I have been playing it ever since. It is one of the most basic of games, introduced in the 1970′s with none of t…

Careers: Perfect game for an "almost ten" year old

25. Careers: Perfect game for an “almost ten” year old

We played this version of the Careers board game recently with our grandson, Alex, who is approaching ten years old. It was perfect for him, at this time. He handled the money well. He understood the strategy. It was really fun watching his mind whirl as e…

My Very First Video Game Console: The Atari 2600!

26. My Very First Video Game Console: The Atari 2600!

I Want To Buy an Atari 2600! My best memory as a child was when my sister and I were able to save enough money to buy our very first video- game console: the Atari 2600! We saved both our allowances and birthday money for over one year, dilligently putting…

Carrom Game Board

27. Carrom Game Board

The Super Bowl of Games I have lost track of how many carrom tournaments our family has had over the years. Based on our play, you might think we were competing for really high stakes. Well, in a way we are. While there’s no money on the line, sibling…

Double 6 Dominoes for Families

28. Double 6 Dominoes for Families

I like games that are durable, simple and compact. Board games can be a lot of fun, promoting many social and thinking skills while providing tons of fun. However, I hate the way that weak boxes can wear out quickly in the hands of youngsters. Durable stor…

More Fun in the Box!

29. More Fun in the Box!

Family night at our house consisted of a board game and flash cards to help our children learn their mathematics. While my children were little, some of them struggled with mathematics and learning their addition skills or multiplication skills. My sweetli…

"Scabble" A Favorite for Generations

30. “Scabble” A Favorite for Generations

The ‘Scrabble’ game we all know and love has been around since 1948. Though that’s a bit before my time, it was always a favorite at our house growing up. I had 1 brother and two sisters and we would play over and over again – vying to be na…

How well do you know your friends?  This game will tell all!

31. How well do you know your friends? This game will tell all!

Well? Do you think you know your best friend? Your significant other? Your sibling? You think so, don’t you? Prior to the creation of this game you might have known who you thought your friends were. Flash forward to 2013 and we’re in a competiti…

Men are from Mars Women are from Venus Game

32. Men are from Mars Women are from Venus Game

How Well Do You Know Your Mate How well do you know your significant other? Most married folks think they know their partners pretty well, but do they? I was quite confident I knew my guy till we played this game. My husband and I received the unusual boar…

Let's Have Fun With Dominoes

33. Let’s Have Fun With Dominoes

It was raining outside and Masala Tea was ready along with hot Samosas and Chutney. As it was a Sunday, so everybody was at home and we couldn’t even go outside because we were feeling lazy to get wet and it was cold too. The best way to entertain our…

Mille Bornes for Family Fun with the Collectors' Edition & Game Table

34. Mille Bornes for Family Fun with the Collectors’ Edition & Game Table

Mille Bornes was fun back in the day, and is still fun! Family celebrations are rife with competition and rivalries for the drivers for day after day of travel in Europe, via the Mille Bornes play automobile. If we can’t be on scene watching the sport…

Elder Sign: my favorite fantasy board game

35. Elder Sign: my favorite fantasy board game

Growing up, I loved board games, and I even played some into my college years. But then my interest in traditional games faded; the old standbys like Monopoly and Scrabble didn’t satisfy me any more. I had no idea that there were whole new worlds of g…

Rampage arcade

36. Rampage arcade

When I was a kid in the 80s and even the 90s the closest arcade here was Nathan’s and ‘THE’ hangout. I fondly remember playing a few pinball games and racing games, aside from those, I was never really into arcade gamaes but would try a game…

Nightmare Before Christmas Operation Game

37. Nightmare Before Christmas Operation Game

Are you a Huge Nightmare before Christmas fan? Are your kids? Get the a family friendly game with a ghoulish twist! Ahh that famous Tim Burton movie that changed Halloween & Christmas forever! The Nightmare before Christmas is definitely a house fa…

Mario Kart Video Game

38. Mario Kart Video Game

I have been playing Mario Kart for over 30 years. I love racing games, and Mario Kart is the one I’ve been playing the longest. Mario Kart is an video game that is exclusively on the Nintendo game systems. As a kid, I played Super Mario Kart on Super…

Mad Libs: My Favorite Game for on the Road or an Evening at Home

39. Mad Libs: My Favorite Game for on the Road or an Evening at Home

Memories of Mad Libs We’d go to Florida every year to visit my grandparents, but my mom was afraid to fly. So we’d drive those 2,000 miles from New England and then back again, which was a LOT of time to pass, especially for a kid. (And for my da…

Isle of Lewis Chessmen: Official Chess Set

40. Isle of Lewis Chessmen: Official Chess Set

For the chess player Or an art- lover. Or an historian. The Isle of Lewis Chessmen are fascinating for any number of reasons and this official set, featuring faithful replicas of the original, makes a wonderful gift – or even a treat for yourself. My broth…

UNO Card Game

41. UNO Card Game

UNO – A Card Game for Kids That The Whole Family Will Enjoy Whenever we had a family gathering, after supper all the adults would play cards. They played euchre, which was way to advanced for any of us kids to be able to understand how to play. The adults…

Bumper Pool Tables - A Family Favorite

42. Bumper Pool Tables – A Family Favorite

As a kid, one of my favorite pastimes was playing on our Bumper Pool table with my brother or my friends. We had it set up in the basement, and we would have little mini tournaments, or just pass the time on rainy days. If my brothers friends were over mos…

Conversation Starters

43. Conversation Starters

Who would have guessed that this little box of simple questions could become such a fire conversation starter. The only reason I mention fire, is not due to incendiary topics, but because it was when our family started to intentionally increase our communi…

Why Munchkin Deluxe is better than the original

44. Why Munchkin Deluxe is better than the original

I have been playing Munchkin for years. I love that it is a boardgame that is equally fun whether you are pulling it out for a quick game with your significant other during a sunday afternoon or playing it while sharing a couple of beer with your geeky fri…

Catch Phrase: My Family's Favorite Adult Party Game

45. Catch Phrase: My Family’s Favorite Adult Party Game

Ingredients for a Hilarious and Entertaining Evening: Game of Catch Phrase + Good Friends + Cocktails The game of Catch Phrase can best be summarized as a combination of the games Taboo, Charades, and Hot Potato. This game has been entertaining my friends…

ATMOSFEAR DVD Board Game Review | A Fun Interactive Game for Teens & Adults

46. ATMOSFEAR DVD Board Game Review | A Fun Interactive Game for Teens & Adults

Also known as ‘Nightmare’, this interactive board game is the most memorable game I have ever played and is ideal for those who find kid’s games too childish and want something more grown- up. I first played the original VHS version when I w…

Pahrcheesi The Best Game Ever

47. Pahrcheesi The Best Game Ever

Some of my fondest memories are the times when my family played Pahrcheesi together. We would make a big bowl of buttered popcorn set our game up on a table and play for hours. It was one of the first games I remember learning to play as a child. Our game…

Sorry the Board Game - the Best Gift for Kids

48. Sorry the Board Game – the Best Gift for Kids

‘Sorry! ‘ the board game must be the most inexpensive board game, yet one of the most entertaining games. This popular game from the renowned board gaming company Hasbro, is an old game but it never gets outdated. Sorry the board game can be play…

Exciting Strategy Game for All Ages

49. Exciting Strategy Game for All Ages

Easy to Learn, Fun to Play! I grew up loving board games. I think it started with Parcheesi, Chinese Checkers and Sorry. Then of course, Candyland, Monopoly and when I was older, Backgammon. I also adore card games. anything from Go Fish to Poker and almos…

Lens of the Day: Take Better Photographs in 30 Days

Posted: 04 Nov 2013 05:22 AM PST

No comments:

Post a Comment