Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Lens of the Day: My Adventure in Singapore

Posted: 06 Nov 2013 05:25 AM PST

Meet melaniekaren, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 06 Nov 2013 04:10 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 5.10.06 PM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Never ever give up. Always keep trying and pushing forward with no regrets. The most successful people fell many times before they succeeded.

When did you make the biggest difference?

I have a natural knack for bringing people together. The most exciting time I made the biggest difference is when I brought together a group of well-know musicians who would never have met otherwise. They were from different countries and began working together musically utilizing today’s ability to transfer files over the internet. I put it all in place and quietly watched as art was created. One person in particular had not picked up his guitar in over a decade and had truly thought he never would again.

Who had the most influence on your life?

My grandmother had the most influence over my life. I had the fortunate opportunity of living with her for a few years when I was about 20 years old. I really got to know her as a person. She was a very strong woman who was way ahead of her time. She loved her books and said that “books are our best friends.” She was always hungry to participate and listen. “Just give me a good conversation!,” she was often heard saying. She pulled herself out of bed every morning, “by the bootstraps,” (her words) and have a marvelously productive day everyday. And, she was always a lady and would not tolerate any less from me.

What was your greatest moment?

Oh, this one is easy. My greatest moment was when my son was born. I was really patient and waited for him. I made sure everything was in place with my life so that I could raise a child the way I wanted to. I’m very fortunate and grateful to have succeeded with this.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I want to be completely self-sufficient and independent again, and I’m actually quite desperate for it.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My father has always been sort of a risk taker. Because of this, he has led a successful life in architectural design and music, of which both were self-taught. It’s truly amazing, and some of the most well-known musicians have even told me that “his songwriting is impressive.” He was a pioneer and is responsible for influencing music you hear today.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

A set schedule and organization is key in maintaining and moving forward.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I’d be a timeless, ageless soul.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I think there would be more love in the world if all men wore black eye-liner. hahaha – just kidding! I would like to see no poverty with a sustainable future all.

Favorite Lens

Keeping Really Big Bugs as Pets

-melaniekarenGiant Squid on Squidoo

4 Tips For Making A Fabulous Recipe Lens

Posted: 05 Nov 2013 03:56 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 6.41.03 PM
Last week we introduced the new Recipe Lens Format are we’re thrilled with the lenses coming in. Here are a few tips and example lenses we think you’ll love as much as we do. This lens format is exclusively for recipes and is available to the RocketSquids and the Giant Squids. If you would like to join our RocketSquids University please sign up here.

Use Your Own Photos

While it may not alway be possible the best photos that you can use on a recipe lens are your own.

melaniekaren used her own photo on How to Prepare Fresh Steamed Clams Straight from the Beach  so did BritFlorida on Cheese garlic rolls: Quick and easy recipe.

-Try to use photos that are at least 250 pixels x 250 pixels square or rectangle photos that are at least 600 pixels wide.
-Lighting matters. Make sure that your photos are not dark or shadowed.
-Use crisp clear photos.
-Make sure your photos are appetizing! Make people want your food.

Use Descriptive Words In Your Title

These lensmasters used creative titles that accurately describe their recipes.

Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms With Roasted Garlic And Bacon
Grilled Aged Smokehouse Cheddar and Vegemite Dog on a Toasted Bun
Cast Iron Pan Fried Vegemite Steak

Tell A Story

Let your readers know how the recipe came about. BearTale tells a story with Cocoa Coconut Black Bean Fudge Brownies.

Choose Amazon Products That Compliment Your Recipe

ErinMellor used some good complimentary products in her lens Easy Mussels Steamed In Beer Recipe

Image Credit

Meet LindaJM, she’s a Giant Squid!

Posted: 05 Nov 2013 02:09 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 5.05.36 PM

What is the single best piece of advice you’d give to everyone?

Never give up – when times seem dark, remember there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve seen so many people fall away when really, there’s no need to panic. Instead, advance steadily onward with the confidence that good will come from the efforts you’re making.

When did you make the biggest difference?

When I decided to start my FightCPS.com site – I’ve helped a lot of families learn how the child welfare system works, and informed them about things they can do to help their lawyers present their side of the case in court. Because of this I’ve received many happy emails from families that were successfully reunited.

Who had the most influence on your life?

My father had the most influence on my life because of his steadfast love and support, his amazing work ethic, and his upright style of living.

What was your greatest moment?

Publication of my first novel, “River Girl,” in June 2012.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

In my dreams I’d be a singer….. in my reality I’ll probably still be a writer – only older – with more books published.

What did you admire most about your mother/father/parents?

My parents taught me not to lie… a great advantage in life as truthfulness is the best basis for all human relationships. I admire my parents’ ethics most of all.

What advice would you give to your teenage self?

Linda, choose one thing you want to accomplish in life and focus all your determination and efforts on that goal. Remember that daily practice is the gateway to success in life.

Share something you learned at your day job that applies to life in general.

Be as organized as possible with time, paperwork, and tasks.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?

I definitely feel very young though I’m sixty-one… I’m feeling twenty-three… healthy, happy, and strong.

What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

I would like for people to know that love is the most important thing in the world. I’d like to see classes on love and human kindness and healthy relationships taught in the schools. I’d like to see people learning to give others the benefit of the doubt, and forgiving more readily when things go wrong. I’d like to see teenagers learning how to choose good mates, how to treat their mates wisely, and how to live ethical lives of kindness, especially where their families are concerned.

Favorite Lens

The Tragic Drugging of Foster Children – Are They Being Used as Medical Guinea Pigs?

-lindajmGiant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment