Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


What Are Your Go-To Last-Minute Gifts?

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 06:09 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 9.08.33 AMWe’d love to know!

Are there crafts you can whip up that look great and show you care, but don’t take up tons of your time to make?

Is there a perfect little treat that you can make in the kitchen on a snow day or weekend, keep fresh and give to friends and neighbors?

Do you know of a great stocking stuffer (or two) that’s readily available that you know will always raise a smile?

What about a charity donation that you know the entire family will appreciate?

If you have an idea for a great last-minute gift, create a lens about any and all, or share the ones you’ve already made below. Help out your fellow lensmasters and the world at large with your expertise (and make the holiday season a little bit easier for the procrastinators — including me — among us!)

Thanks from all of us last-minute Nellies out there!

Image Credit

RockinPicks Is Sharing Her Holiday Traditions

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 05:39 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 5.17.56 PM

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I love the day we bring out my Grandmother’s Hanukkah Menorah on the first night. For 25 years my husband and I have been using this this and before I became the owner I lit them with my Grandmother my entire life. As a tradition my husband I discuss getting a new modern one and every year we light my Grandmother’s. At the end we agree that next year we would get a new one. For 25 years we have gone though this exactly the way I said it. It’s our way of never being able to change the tradition.

What’s your favorite holiday food?
Potato Latke and apple compost. I make it the best.

What do you love most about the season?
Remembering God and being thankful for being with my family.

What is your favorite childhood holiday memory?
Going over to my Grandparent’s tiny hot apartment which had too many people, but everyone there was family and we loved each other. The kids would play together in the bedroom as that’s the only place we could go. Right before the meal the living room would be tranformed into a beautiful dining room Everyone helped. We all had our job. My Grandfather would light the candles and we would get gifts. Everything felt so warm because there was so many people and so much food cooking. It just feels right when I think back on it. Good times.

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?
Always.

RockinPicks is a Giant Squid on Squidoo

Quest of the Day: 150 Of The Best Classic Books Of All Time

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 05:09 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-08 at 7.52.37 PMI have fond memories of so many books on this classic list. The classics are timeless pieces of work that follow your through your entire life. Given enough time I’d love to reread every book on this list.

Product Review of the Day: 10 Reasons to Buy A GoPro

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 04:58 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 6.03.29 PMMy husband and I were getting ready for our September 2013 trip to Australia and New Zealand when my brother mentioned that we should get a GoPro.

Lens of the Day: The Local Buzz – at Hicklebee’s of course!

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 04:01 AM PST

kinworm Is Sharing Her Holiday Traditions

Posted: 09 Dec 2013 02:30 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 5.21.44 PM

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
On Christmas Eve, we all get comfortable on the sofa with warm blankets, hot mugs of cocoa and put on a family Christmas themed DVD to watch if there is nothing we fancy on the TV. Christmas Eve is really the start of the Holiday season for me because that’s when we finally get time to all sit down and make time for each other – and it’s also when we start tucking in to the treats too!

What’s your favorite holiday food?
Christmas pudding (a British tradition which is a bit like a hot fruit cake – often laden with alcohol!) is my absolute favorite. My parents fed this to me for my very first Christmas and I loved it so much that I was a little ill afterwards but it never put me off. I love it served with brandy butter.

What do you love most about the season?
It’s family time. My husband works very long hours but he always has 2 or 3 weeks off over the Christmas period which really helps to compensate. It’s just having a real quality of time with my most cherished friends and family.

What is your favorite childhood holiday memory?
My childhood dog Basil (an Airedale Terrier) was a very cheeky chap. One year, he managed to let himself into the lounge where our Christmas tree was and he helped himself to all the chocolates that he could reach on the tree. The funny thing was that he managed to chew off and spit out all the foil wrappers so the sight we were met with the next day was just of a floor littered with glittering little bits of foil. I loved that dog and that’s one of my best memories of him.

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?
Oh yes. We rarely get a white Christmas because we live in an area that doesn’t get very much snow. We’re more likely to get snow in April than Christmas Day. But snow makes it very magical indeed.

kinworm is a Giant Squid on Squidoo

Needed: Gifts That Are Inexpensive or Free to Mail

Posted: 09 Dec 2013 02:14 PM PST

packages by grabadonut on flickr via creative commonsWe live far from our extended family, so for years we’ve had to pack up presents, haul boxes to the post office, and spend way too much money shipping said packages halfway across the country. My heart breaks and the checkbook cringes when I end up spending more for postage than I did on the presents themselves.

Bet I’m not the only one knows that feeling. This year I’m seeking professional help. I’m here to enlist the assistance of the best shoppers on Earth, Squidoo lensmasters. Your assignment? Make a lens about a great present that’s easy to mail. Or doesn’t need mailing at all. Get creative! Go beyond the gift card with a recommendation for an awesome gift that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to get it to its destination.

Share your “Gifts that are cheap or free to mail” lenses right here in a comment. Hurry! Christmas is coming up fast!

Image Information

The Purple Product Review Of The Day Award

Posted: 09 Dec 2013 01:10 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 3.32.24 PMWe’ve got a new award to share with you today. The Purple Product Review Of The Day Award. The purpose of this award is two fold.

1) We’re seeing so many high quality product reviews (like this) we think they deserve their own recognition.

2) We also have a ton of amazing informational lenses (like this) that we want to show off too.

So here’s our new system.

Lens of the Day will primarily be awarded to traditional lenses however you may see some recipe, how-to and product reviews as LOTD for Club awards. LOTD gets the top spot on the Squidoo home page, the LOTD trophy, 500 SquidPoints and lots of love.

We need your help! Nominate traditional lenses (not product reviews) using this form: http://www.squidoo.com/member/nominate_lotd. We’re looking for high quality lenses with lots of good content.

Product Review Of The Day will feature standout product reviews and will get the Purple Product Review Award, this award will not appear on your winning lens but will instead appear on your trophy page and link to SquidooHQ. There will be no designation on the actual lens. You will also get 300 SquidPoints and a spot on the Squidoo Home page rotation for a limited time. The SquidTeam will choose these lenses based on quality.

We’ll start awarding the new Purple Product Review Of The Day Award tomorrow via a SquidooHQ post.

tjhousel Is Sharing Her Holiday Traditions

Posted: 09 Dec 2013 09:30 AM PST

December 9th, 2013 – Welcome to our new holiday Giant Squid series…Holiday Traditions. Every day from now until the end of the year we’ll be sharing holiday traditions from our Giant Squids. First up is tjhousel. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 12.27.19 PM

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
My sisters and I all have our own families, but we still go to our mother and father’s house for Christmas brunch every single year.

What’s your favorite holiday food?
My favorite food is peppermint candy cane bark. I just can’t seem to live without it during the holidays.

What do you love most about the season?
I love how good giving makes me feel.

What is your favorite childhood holiday memory?
When I was thirteen years old, my grandmother gave me my great-grandmother’s Christmas cookie jar. I still get excited and nostalgic every single time I unpack it.

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?
I live in NE Ohio, so it is pretty much a guarantee for me. Although, I am not a fan of snow, it would be kind of sad not to have a white Christmas.

tjhousel is a Giant Squid on Squidoo

No comments:

Post a Comment