Saturday, December 14, 2013

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Delicious Comfort Food For A Cold Day

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 07:09 AM PST

Mom's Tuna Casserole

1. Mom’s Tuna Casserole

This is the tuna casserole that my mom always served us when we were growing up. I didn’t know that there even was a different tuna casserole until well into my adult hood. It’s not what you are used to for sure. Our whole family really likes it,…

Baked Herb and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes

2. Baked Herb and Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes

This tasty baked tomato recipe can be used as a main course or a side dish, depending on the appetites of your dinner companions. I’ve served it both ways at my house. Last night it was the ‘veg’ for my Broccoli Cheddar Melt Sandwiches. Othe…

Sousababy's Luscious Carrot & Dill Soup (Gluten-Free and Vegan)

3. Sousababy’s Luscious Carrot & Dill Soup (Gluten-Free and Vegan)

Squidoo’s popular GoodVeg magazine features all kinds of seasonal delights. When the weather gets cold, my favorite appetizer is soup. A year ago, I enjoyed the most satisfying carrot and dill soup at cozy downtown Toronto restaurant. It had just the…

Good Old Fashion Home Cooked Meatloaf Recipe

4. Good Old Fashion Home Cooked Meatloaf Recipe

Making a meatloaf is not that difficult, in fact it’s probably the easiest meat dish to make especially if your just learning to cook. Below is the recipe that I have used for years and my family just loves it. There are many different ways you can ma…

The Casserole

5. The Casserole

In this article, I will explain how to design your own casserole, using the ingredients you love best. Casseroles and goulash can be thought of as dishes where you can use up leftovers as well. Goulash, to my mind, includes noodles, tomatoes, and meat. I l…

Easy Pizza Hotdish

6. Easy Pizza Hotdish

Make a simple pizza hotdish for a easy dinner put together. It’s nice to have a quick and easy recipe when you’ve had a busy day and want something pizza yummy to eat. The flavor is exquisite and simple. Make a salad to go with this hotdish and y…

Snow Day Vegetarian Stew

7. Snow Day Vegetarian Stew

We had our first snow day of the season last week, and it got me thinking about warm, comforting things to eat. I don’t cook much, but one thing I make that my husband really likes is this soup/stew that reminds us – a little – of some Brunswick stew…

Spicy Carrot Soup

8. Spicy Carrot Soup

I’m a big fan of casual dinners and especially when soup is the main course. Pairing a nice soup with a crusty bread makes a comforting and hearty meal. I like making soups with healthy ingredients that are also readily available. Spicy Carrot Soup is…

Quest of the Day: The Best Of HBO Studios

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 06:07 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 9.06.32 AMHBO Studios has given us immense entertainment over the years. From the Sopranos to Sex and the City to Game of Thrones. Review your favorite HBO series and movies.

Review of the Day: Going First Class With Apple MacBook Air 13 inch

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 05:00 AM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 3.09.36 PMWe purchased the MacBook Air 13 inch on my husband’s 50th birthday to make it a special gift on a milestone birthday and I am happy to share my views on it here.

Lens of the Day: My Migraine Relief

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 04:15 AM PST

ravenko Is Sharing Her Holiday Traditions

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 04:42 PM PST

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 7.40.19 PMWhat is your favorite holiday tradition?
This is a weird tradition that I started when my kids were young and now that my oldest is 35 she still does the same thing and that’s every Christmas Eve we would sit around eating popcorn, drinking hot chocolate and watching the move Gone with the Wind.

What’s your favorite holiday food?
I”ll have to say anything made with pumpkin and I mean anything soup, cookies, tarts and of course pie, yummy pumpkin pie with tons of whipped cream.

What do you love most about the season?
I like how people in my city go out of their way to help the homeless, they take donations for scarfs, toques, gloves and jackets along with blankets to help them with the cold.

What is your favorite childhood holiday memory?
When my baby sister was born, it was early Christmas morning when she arrived in this world and I have to say even though I was only 5 years old when she came along I was a little annoyed as only a child can be when all I got that Christmas was a yellow plastic dump truck for my gift. With all the joy of a new baby on the way they had forgotten to buy me and my other sister a gift so my dad talked a friend into giving him a few from their kids which were all boys.

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without snow.

ravenko is a Giant Squid on Squidoo

Check Out These New Lenses For The Week of December 9

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 03:58 PM PST

Gifts Every Photographer Needs and Wants

1. Gifts Every Photographer Needs and Wants

Do you have a friend who is a photographer? Does your wife love photography? Or does your husband always carry his camera with him in the car just in case he sees a great photo opportunity? If you can say yes to any of those questions above then you will h…

Christmas Music That Stirs the Soul

2. Christmas Music That Stirs the Soul

Many of us get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the season and truly don’t remember or don’t believe in the reason for the season. I would like to share with you the ‘Sounds of Music that Stir My Soul’ and YES, this is a story abou…

Put up a Reusable Christmas Tree3. Put up a Reusable Christmas TreeReusable trees are becoming more popular Christmas Tree choices as people become more aware of their impact on the environment, especially during the holidays. Since many of these trees need to be put together before being put up, have the older kids and t…
First Ever Iconic Eco Warrior

4. First Ever Iconic Eco Warrior

Rachel Carson was the green Goddess of the ecology movement, a lady with an unswerving belief in the natural world. Born in Pennsylvania in 1907, on May 27, her love of writing appeared early in her life, with her first being published, aged only eight, in…

Vegan Cholent for the Cold Weather

5. Vegan Cholent for the Cold Weather

B’H I recall Cholent from my youngest days. My Mom used to make Cholent with meat fat, making it Fleishig (Yiddish for a meat dish – Under Jewish law, Halakha, one is not permitted to eat meat mixed with dairy, so we have 3 sets of pots and pans, one…

littleBits Electronics for Maker Kids

6. littleBits Electronics for Maker Kids

We’re big fans of littleBits electronics kits and bits. You can buy kits or individual electronics components that snap together magnetically (and always the right way around) so children can quickly add lights, sensors, motors and other fun stuff to…

Hours of Fun for the Junior Scientist with the Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit.

7. Hours of Fun for the Junior Scientist with the Ultimate Crystal Growing Kit.

I was advised by my daughter that, for his birthday, she was thinking of buying my science- mad, nine year old grandson an present that would appeal to that interest in his life, so I suggested crystal growing kits, because I had seen these displayed at a…

A Good Old Play Dough Recipe

8. A Good Old Play Dough Recipe

When I was a little kid, my mum and I would make play dough together, using this simple recipe, for me to use at home or to donate to my preschool. Play dough had to be my favourite toy when I was I little munchkin. My mum would put out paper plates and pl…

Review of the HandlePod: The best alternative to tripods

9. Review of the HandlePod: The best alternative to tripods

I hate traditional tripods and always have, which poses a big problem for me as an amateur photographer who gets a kick out of long exposures and night shooting. Somehow, using a garbage bin lid or a brick wall just doesn’t cut it in most situations….

My Regular Winter Gardening Routine

10. My Regular Winter Gardening Routine

This is the time of year, when the leaves have all fallen, to think about getting yourself a head start for the next growing season, and to give your garden, or allotment plot the best of preparation, I suggest that firstly you need to think seriously abou…

Six Frugal Holiday Gatherings You Can Afford to Host

11. Six Frugal Holiday Gatherings You Can Afford to Host

You want to host a fun and memorable Christmas gathering with friends and family, but your budget laughs at the idea? Mine too. I just don’t have cash to throw around this season. Even though we can’t spend much, parties and creative get- togethe…

Bryan Ferry Orchestra: The Jazz Age: A Review

12. Bryan Ferry Orchestra: The Jazz Age: A Review

Imagine a smoky 1920s club: illicit booze on the bar and anonymous revellers moving to the latest dance craze as a hot jazz band plays its interpretations of the songs of both Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry. Now imagine that you have never owned the latest aud…

Co-Worker Holiday Gifts They Won't Regift

13. Co-Worker Holiday Gifts They Won’t Regift

Among the more challenging aspects of holiday shopping is the office gift. Secret Santa gifts, tokens of appreciation to co- workers, and other workplace giving can be complicated. There are rules to follow: propriety, spending limits, and our personal bud…

Alternative Gift Ideas: Think Charitably

Posted: 13 Dec 2013 12:18 PM PST

Carolers by di_the_huntress on Flickr via creative commonsWhile giving and receiving presents that you can open and hold in your hand is a whole lot of fun, there are some alternatives to consider.

Instead of buying lots of little gifts for a big family or for grandma and grandpa who already have everything they need, consider donating to a local food bank in their name or choosing an angel – or a family of angels – from the Angel Tree. In either case you’ll be providing Christmas for someone who might not otherwise have a nice holiday feast or a gift to open. Then share your thoughtful gesture in lieu of a “real” present in a card to let your family or those grandparents know what you did in honor of them.

Another idea that I love is a longstanding project sponsored by our local newspaper called the Community Christmas Card. Readers who donate as little as $2 can have their name included on the “card,” a special page printed in the newspaper on Christmas day. All of the money raised is then donated to a local charity. It’s heartwarming to see the long list of names of our generous neighbors in the paper every year, many presented “in honor of” someone else.

Do you have a lens about charitable giving or other alternative gift ideas? We’d love to see it. And if you haven’t made your lens yet, there’s no time like today. Feel free to leave the lens link in a comment below.

Photo Info

No comments:

Post a Comment