Thursday, January 2, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing penny-richens

Posted: 02 Jan 2014 06:13 AM PST

Our Squidoo Debuts have been on hiatus for the past few weeks, but we’re pleased today to resume our interviews with new (or nearly new) lensmasters by introducing you to penny-richens. Enjoy our interview, say hello, then don’t forget to check out her lenses. You’ll be glad you did!

How did you find Squidoo? I found Squidoo because I was looking for a way to share my ideas without being obligated to curate a blog. I have a broad knowledge of useful information on a lot of things, but not enough of any one thing to write about it every day. I have tried keeping blogs in the past, and would peter out after a few weeks because they just weren’t fun anymore. Squidoo gives me the freedom to make one really good lens on something I care about without having to try and follow up with new information every week. Not that I don’t like staying relevant and updating information as new things become available, but writing filler is not what I’m about. I also wanted to have a reputable way to display my writing for freelance gigs that I occasionally get. A partially finished blog is not really something you want to show a prospective client. A well written and manicured lens on the other hand is perfect.

Obviously your first love is horses, but you’ve touched on a couple of other topics too, including the popular Paleo topic. What’s coming up next on your lensmaking list? Oh heavens, Susan, I am a fount of trivial information, lol. I suppose if you could open up my head it would look like the inside of a house from an episode of Hoarders. Horses are a big part of my life, and I love riding with my nieces and nephews. I am also a Wyoming Girl, and I love everything about living in the West. I’d like to do some travel guides to Wyoming, there is a lot more going on here than Energy Production and Dude Ranches; and Yellowsone/Grand Teton are only a small part of where I live. There is so much to explore and try. I’m pretty crafty and will probably do a lens or two on projects I’ve made. I teach guitar lessons and play Flamenco style guitar, there is a lens or two there I’m sure. I live the Paleo Lifestyle, and I will probably share some of my best grilling recipes. I go fishing with my husband quite a bit and we love to go four-wheeling, I’m sure I could make a country girl’s guide from those experiences. I am also an amateur photographer (aren’t we all these days?), and I enjoy taking pictures to add with my posts. Stock photography is not for me. So really, I have an endless supply of ideas that come from my daily experiences.

What can Squidoo do for you? The thing I think Squidoo can help me with the most is having a positive creative outlet. There are so many sites out there that you can share on, but very few have a positive online culture like Squidoo does. I also like that I can get a little bit of a kick back from my writing. Money is not a motivator for me, but a bi-product of success. I love the idea that the reason I’m getting paid is because people really like and use what I’m putting out there. That and I can always use a little extra scratch to buy more cowboy boots (could probably write a lens about that too). Mostly, I’ve been going about my chores and things thinking about how much fun I’m going to have writing with no strings attached. I’m excited about the lenses I’ve already done and really look forward to tweaking and adding to them. Squidoo is the perfect outlet for me!

Good Morning! What Do YOU Want To Write About?

Posted: 02 Jan 2014 05:54 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 8.36.20 AMWhile I enjoyed the holidays I’m always a bit glad to get back into a routine although mother nature messed with us today. We’ve got 12 inches of snow coming which means my husband is home so it still feels like vacation here in Cleveland.

Aside from shoveling my car out of the driveway my goal for today is to come up with some new quest ideas. We love challenging all of you and we could use some help. Share an idea for a quest in the comment section of this post. Are you interested in 60′ music? or Quentin Tarantino movies? or pie? or astronomy? The more niche idea the better.

We can’t promise we’ll use every idea but having a list will help us focus quests about the things you know and love.

Have a great day. I hope it’s warmer in your end of the world.

Image Credit

Lens of the Day: Lots of Good Ideas for Writing Articles Online

Posted: 02 Jan 2014 05:39 AM PST

Review of the Day: Star Wars Risk Stirs Up Trouble!

Posted: 02 Jan 2014 04:00 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 4.27.29 PMIf you’ve never played Risk before, it is a board game where the aim is to achieve total world domination. That’s the original version. Of course, the aim in Star Wars Risk is to dominate the whole Galaxy.

Don’t Let Fear of Change Hold You Back in the New Year

Posted: 01 Jan 2014 12:09 PM PST

6503735933_45162fb94b

When we undertake creative projects, it’s not unusual to be held back by uncertainty, fear of the unknown or other uncomfortable, negative feelings.

I want to offer some advice and encouragement for lensmasters that are having these types of experiences.

The good news is that these issues are easily dealt with – in fact just knowing that they are false beliefs can be the most powerful inspirational tools of all.

 

 

 

The truth: change empowers us to improve

The more we engage with our work, the higher the quality of our final product. Allowing negative beliefs or fears to prevent us from engaging with our work ultimately harms our performance. Returning to a work to adapt to the future is a powerful way to impact the quality of your work. Web content is all about relevance. While the facts and information might not change, the way we present them often needs to change to keep up with the spirit of the times. You will find that revisiting and reworking your writing from time to time will help to improve and refine your message and strengthen your confidence in your abilities as a content creator.

Build your courage to change with small steps every day

Being afraid of losing familiarity is a huge block for many people. When things change, if you’re focusing on your fear of the unknown or living in the past, you’re going to get stuck – paralyzed by your own self defeating attitude, you will hold back and do nothing – while others take off and leave you in the dust.

“I only know how to do things the way I’ve always done, if I do something new or different, I will fail!”

Nothing could be further from the truth. Consider that at one point, everything was new to you – even tying your shoelaces was a struggle. Quality writing requires hard work – it also requires adaptability and willingness to continue to take on new challenges, rather than being complacent or even worse, refusing to improve out of fear of failure.

When things change, tap into the excitement that got you started in the first place. Empower yourself with the knowledge that you have done great things in the past. Now you are being challenged to create something greater. Great writing, art, music, content – even recipes – there is nothing that practice cannot improve. When things change and you need to step up to the plate, don’t let fear hold you back. You can create something great today and something even greater tomorrow, no matter what changes are around the corner.

Photo Credit: Juan Antonio Capó via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment