Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Introducing ByCharliMills

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 08:09 AM PST

Meet ByCharliMills, a busy freelance writer who still manages to carve out time for writing here on Squidoo. She’s penned some terrific reviews already (with one Review Lens of the Day honor) and a yummy recipe lens that you should check out just as soon as you finish reading our interview.

What brought you to Squidoo? Through blogging, I met a group of writers, poets and artists who also happened to be Squidoo Lensmasters. In fact, I’ve known the “Books for Kids” contributor (Ruthi) for many years. She once supplied one of her poems over a beautiful photo of oranges for display in a natural foods retailer where I was the marketing communications manager. I’m a huge fan of hers, and love her as a friend. She began nagging me, as friends do, about getting me to write lenses. I had retired from marketing, moved to rural northern Idaho and was writing my first novels (yet-unpublished). So, I resisted. Then the other Lensmasters I met also encouraged me. And I resisted. But I enjoyed reading lenses and I signed in to Squidoo so I could comment. One day, I selected a “review” somehow thinking it was part of the commenting process. Unwittingly I wrote my first lens and I’ve been hooked (or tentacled) ever since!

So far I see a few reviews and a delicious-sounding recipe on your lens list. Anything new coming up in the near future? Before I get too distracted with possibilities, I’m working on an “About Me” lens and one for my blog. I printed off the Squidoo article, “20 Recipes for Lenses to Make” and listed ideas all over it. I’m especially excited by the story-telling element of lenses and no matter what I write, you can expect stories. As a former marketer and a career freelance writer, I’m interested in crafting some helpful lenses for other writers, as well as tips for navigating the publishing industry as I learn all about that new venue of writing. Review lenses (especially on books by new authors) are one area that I’ll focus. Having worked in the natural food industry for 13 years, you can expect lots of food-related reviews and recipes from me, too. And don’t rule out birds, trout-fishing, gardening, historical sites, genealogy and rock collecting as I’m a bit of a naturalist and history nerd. Did I mention, that I’m easily distracted? So much to write about and read!

What can Squidoo do for you? Before ever landing on the site, I knew the quality and friendliness of Squidoo Lensmasters. It is absolutely the most welcoming writer’s forum I’ve ever encountered. I expect to to learn from and connect to other people who write; not people who talk about writing one day, but people actually putting fingers to the keyboard. I find that being around other engaged writers is energizing. I hope to include Squidoo in what is called a “writer’s platform” and have a ready outlet for announcing my books when I do publish in the future. Squidoo understands the authentic human element that really moves effective marketing. And I want to be a part of that and the greater community.

jennabee25 is the “Rock Star Knitter” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 07:00 AM PST

rock_star_normalToday we proudly introduce jennabee25 who is our “Rock Star Knitter” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
It’s about all things knitting! I’m always working some sort of knitting project, usually more than one. I want to share my knowledge about knitting, as well as encouraging others in their knitting endeavors.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
I think I fell in love when I completed that first complex project. It was a blue basket weave scarf. It was the most complex pattern I had done at the time and I was very proud of it.

Who had the most influence in your life?
My grandmother was the original rock star knitter. She could whip out complex afghans like no one’s business. I also had hats and sweaters from her when I was little. She was my inspiration to start knitting.

You’ll  find more of Jennabee25 by visiting her:

Ludicraft: Crafting Out of Control

Ludicraft on Facebook

Pinterest

Jennabee25 invites you to share a review at her, Crafty Quest: Review your Favorite Knitting Basics.

Lens of the Day: Make a Poncho From Knitted Squares

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 05:27 AM PST

Blast from the Past! Review Your Favorite Teen Movie from the 90′s

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 05:20 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 8.18.59 AMLet’s face it, the 90′s had NO shortage of teen based movies, whether they were teen party movies, teen romantic comedies, teen sci-fi, and even teen slasher films.

If you would like to create a review from my list below, just click the purple Review It button under the movie of your choice. If you can think of another 90′s Teen Movie you would like to make a lens on,, feel free to use this Product Review link. (If you’d like to see an example of a movie review I did on a 90′s Disney Movie, click Disney’s Mulan: Awesome Movie, Soundtrack, & Sheet Music!)

Review of the Day: The Most Motherly of Spiders

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 05:07 AM PST

sousababy is the “Laugh Out Loud” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 21 Jan 2014 02:33 PM PST

me_as_chicken_flying_in_skyTonight we’re happy to introduce you to sousababy. She’s our “Laugh Out Loud” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
If you enjoy laughing, then you’ve found my niche. But it’s not all about humor because (for some reason) I’m also listed under Lifestyle Contributors. In fact, I’m the top performer right now in the Best of Lifestyle Contributors (umm . . out of two).

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
Growing up, I got in trouble for laughing (especially at bedtime) – I shared a room with my sister. When I was old enough to live away from home, the most delightful feeling for me was to laugh and laugh (and not get in trouble for it).

Who had the most influence in your life?
Gosh, the most influence . . probably my father (who DID have a good sense of humor) – though my dad revealed his funnier side at work and the coffee shop (he got in trouble too, I think).

You’ll also find sousababy by visiting the following:

Google+

Hilarious Sitcoms & Shows at Pinterest

Guaranteed Laughs at Pinterest

Sousababy invites you to stop by her Amazon curation list, 32 Must-See (or See Again) Stand-Up Comedians & Shows, to share a review of your favorite.

Photo Credit: DeeAshley via Compfight cc / Rubber chicken head modified by me using Pixlr.com. The head is mine (and I need it back).

No comments:

Post a Comment