Friday, January 24, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Squidoo Club News: Upcoming Deadlines

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 07:14 AM PST

runningJust a quick update to remind Squidoo Club members of some upcoming deadlines.

There’s just over 3 days left for Cozy Club members to get their Cozy Quest: Move One Thing submissions in.

Our combined Food Club and GoodVeg Club vegetarian recipes quest ends at midnight ET on January 29th.

The 29th is also the deadline for anyone in the Book Club who’s participating in the animals quest.

Craft Club members have until midnight ET on January 30th to get their Crafting 101 quest lenses in.

There’s still lots of time left to get in on our new Gardening Club and Adventure Club quests.

Pop Culture Club members should be on the lookout for a new quest coming soon.

Have you joined one of our fun Clubs yet?

Our clubs are open to any and all lensmasters. Each month members receive a new on-topic quest where we share your submissions and choose one lens to be featured as Lens of the Day.  It’s a fun way to get ideas for new lenses in a topic you love and to discover other lensmasters who share your passion.

Visit All About Squidoo Clubs to learn how you can join one or more of our Clubs.

Image Source

Introducing eva_writes

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 06:39 AM PST

Today we are very pleased to introduce eva_writes. You might be surprised to learn that she’s only been on the site for a couple of weeks.  Perhaps you’ve seen her around as she’s already had a Review Lens of the Day and has been very active in the community as well. Don’t forget to check out her lenses – after you’ve read our interview.

How did you find Squidoo? I had been reading Squidoo lenses much before I knew what they were. I can remember f. e. how one day I was searching for a graphic tablet and I found a great review with lots of pictures and examples somewhere: it was very comprehensive, much more than what you would find in any online shop (and I ended up buying that tablet because of the review!). But I was confused when I read in the comments how people were referring to that page as "a lens". A lens? What was that? Then last year a friend of mine told me that she was a member of Squidoo. She knows I like to write and suggested I try and see if I like it too. Since then I had had it in the back of my mind, though it took me a whole year to gather enough courage to sign up and start writing in English.

You have so many interests and, already, a nice variety of lenses. Anything new coming up on your lensmaking list? I’m aware that my lenses are right now somewhat… diverse. I find it’s too early for me to specialize in one field only, so I’m test-driving all possible subjects and formats. On the one hand, I enjoy writing for the challenges: I like challenges! On the other hand, there are many things I would like to talk about, from vegetarian cooking to attachment parenting, recycling and ecology. And did I tell you that I used to work as an architect? That would make for a few interesting lenses too…

What can Squidoo do for you? Squidoo is already doing many things for me, like for example teaching me to write in a more organized manner (although I am sometimes angry at the scorecard if it doesn’t want to reach 100%!). But despite the rules it is also a lot fun: I love when I see one of those cute monsters saying hello from the corner of my screen. Squidoo has certain advantages if you compare it to having your own blog: not only it’s easier to reach a wide public of readers but it also allows you to diversify your topics, because you don’t have to be faithful to a certain audience. And of course there’s always the possibility of earning a little money with your writing, which is without doubt a great plus!

sybil-watson is the “Classic Books Lover” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 06:30 AM PST

sybil_watson.napaToday, we’re happy to introduce you to sybil-watson. She’s our “Classic Books Lover” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
I honestly cannot imagine a life without classic books. They’ve colored and enriched my life in so many ways. I fell in love with the dashing Count Vronsky from “Anna Karenina”, was enraged by the plight of our own Americans in “The Grapes of Wrath”, and began to seriously doubt the safety of our food supply when I read “The Jungle”.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
I fell in love with classic literature when my sister read “The Water Babies” to me as a child. I had a whole family who read to me – mom, dad, and two sisters, such a blessing.

Who had the most influence in your life?
My mom – who had her Master’s in English, and who honestly treated every person she met as though they were her new best friend. Every day I try to be just a shadow of the great woman that she was.

When she’s not reading or Squidooing you can find sybil-watson at the following sites:

Pinterest
Google+
The Classic Book Lover on Facebook

sybil-watson invites you to share a book review at her Review These Romantic Literary Classics

Lens of the Day: My Dad Was An International Traveler

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 05:27 AM PST

Review of the Day: Seventies Stories ChickenKrazy: Why She Loves Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 05:00 AM PST

Review a Blockbuster Movie from the Fabulous 50′s

Posted: 24 Jan 2014 04:00 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 2.53.15 PMPick a classic 50′s movie or two to review for yourself. If you don’t see your favorite here, review one of your choice using the link below. Have fun. http://www.squidoo.com/new/productformat

shay_marie is the “80′s Music” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 23 Jan 2014 03:39 PM PST

80sbabyshaycropTonight we’re pleased to introduce you to shay_marie.  She’s our “80′s Music” Contributor on Squidoo

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
I think when people hear “80s music” the common reaction is to dart to the cliches: bubbly pop music, hair bands, and flashy music videos. It may come across as shallow and fake, but I really think there’s a lot more soul there. There’s was lot of great music coming out in the 80s that a lot of people don’t know about, or have forgotten; I hope that I can bring some of it to the forefront.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
I was a little kid in the eighties, so I don’t have a whole lot of clear memories of 80s music during the decade itself. Actually, I take that back. I remember kids in my school got to go to a Michael Jackson concert (my older brother included) and my mom told me I couldn’t go because I was too young. It was really upsetting. I think I was 4 or 5. I also remember being confused between “Cyndi Lauper” and “Cindy Crawford.”

As a child, I’m sure I was drawn to 80s music (just because I was around it so much), but I think the real moment I fell in love with it was when I was a teenager, specifically when I first started driving. I would listen to the “classic rock” radio stations that would play a lot of new wave/post punk 80s stuff that I really connected with. I have a soft spot for really cheesy pop stuff too!

Who had the most influence in your life?
My dad has had the most direct influence over my musical taste for sure. He has an obsession with speakers, so our house was always “bumping” with loud music when I was growing up. Michael Jackson was king.

Outside of music, I have a passion for every aspect of pop culture, especially in the 80s and 90s. Out of all the shows/movies out there, the earlier seasons of The Simpsons have probably had the greatest impact on me. It’s either made me a funnier person or rotted my brain; I prefer to think it’s the former!

You can also find shay_marie at the following sites:
80s! on Pinterest
Tumblr
Google+

shay_marie invites you to share a music review at her Review These 37 Epic 80s Movie Soundtracks curation list.

DebW07 is the “Disco Queen” 70′s Contributor

Posted: 23 Jan 2014 06:56 AM PST

deb_bev_dd_95_squid_dq_articleToday we’re proudly introducing DebW07.   She’s our “Disco Queen” 70′s Contributor.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
“Stayin’ alive. Stayin’ alive . . .” Can you guess? You got it! I’m the “Disco Queen” 70′s Contributor and I will cover all things 70s/disco. I will be featuring articles on music, movies, fashion, fads, and more. I’ve got lots of ideas swirling around in my head and I’d like to hear from anyone with 70s/disco stories, information, or ideas. I’d also like to invite everyone to write a review on their favorite disco or 70s subject. If you’re interested, take a look at my Squidoo contributor page for more information.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
It was definitely over time. I love 70′s music for a couple of reasons, first, because it’s good music, and second, because it reminds me of all the happy times I had when I was young. I was a teenager during the “disco decade” (or, as my kids like to refer to it, “The Stone age”) and I remember blasting my songs in the cassette player of my first car, going to concerts, dances, and movies with my friends, and just being happy-go-lucky. I never stopped listening to 70′s music, my iPod is full of my favorite 70′s songs and my car radio is set to the 70′s station ALL THE TIME. I also introduced this music to my kids when they were just tiny little tots. They’re all grownup now and they know the words to all my favorite tunes. I absolutely love disco/70′s music!

Who had the most influence in your life?
While there are many, many 70′s solo artists and groups that had a positive influence in my life, I’d have to say that my number one influence was a singer that obtained stardom in the 80s, Luther Vandross. Although Vandross is not known as a disco artist, some of his songs can be considered disco. Songs such as, Ain’t No Stopping Us Now, I Really Didn’t Mean It, Never Too Much, and Give Me The Reason, all have a disco vibe. But my reason for loving Luther Vandross is his love songs. In my life, the 70s were a time of innocent fun, and the 80s a time of romance. Luther Vandross represents romance to me.

When she’s not here at Squidoo, you can find DebW07 discoing at the following sites:
Her Disco Queen 70′s Contributor Blog
Facebook
Twitter

DebW07 invites you to Review Your Favorite Disco Songs at her new Amazon curation page.

Lens of the Day: January 23 is National Handwriting Day

Posted: 23 Jan 2014 05:30 AM PST

Review the Best Kids Craft Kits for the Under 5′s

Posted: 23 Jan 2014 05:00 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 5.51.43 PMDo your kids have the crafting bug? If you love crafting with your children, grandchildren or pupils, chances are you might have tried out a kids crafting kit or two. So why not give other crafty folk a heads up on the best craft kits for under fives?

No comments:

Post a Comment