Saturday, February 22, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Review These TV Dads and Father Figures

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 07:27 AM PST

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 10.26.08 AMHere are 40 TV shows that have some of the smartest, coolest, funniest or politically incorrect dads and father figures out there. See one or more of your favorite dads below? If so, you can start reviewing by clicking the purple Review It button on the lens. Share your review from the “dad angle” and be sure to post the link in the comments.

earthybirthymama is the “Ceramics” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 05:46 AM PST

graceToday we’re happy to introduce earthybirthymama. She’s our “Ceramics” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.

My niche topic is “Ceramics”, in particular Pottery. I took a beginners pottery class at one of our local pottery clubs in September 2013. I wasn’t sure how this was going to fit in with my eclectic art interests, but I know now it’s something I want to continue in earnest and continue to develop proper technique but also explore beyond the boundaries of a classical pottery style.

I am extremely grateful for my in real life pottery gurus Lois, Lori, Kathy and Maria who encourage me to “Rogue On” and reproduce in clay what my imagination believes to be true. These amazing women inspire!

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
A few years ago I had given up on the idea of doing pottery because of the nature of the craft, requiring practice, lots and lots of practice! I took a beginners class a few years ago, but the focus of the class was on hand-building vs wheel throwing. Taking the beginners class at the club I’m with had me wanting to do pottery now as their focus is on both wheel and hand-building. There are many talented pottery artists who support and help folks new to the craft develop and improve their wheel throwing skills. I know when I pop in the club I can ask for help and try out new ideas.

Who had the most influence in your life?
My mom was one my biggest influences where crafting and art are concerned. Actually that’s not totally true! My father has also encouraged and supported my desire to create and create art. Mum knit, did embroidery, ceramics and was always encouraging me to do the same. My dad, built shelves, refinished furniture etc. He passed on to me the ability to think about the possibility of making it myself, something I’m well known for doing. Home renovation projects, composting and gardening are just a few of the things he has inspired me to do over the years. My parents are my muse.

You can also find earthybirthymama at the following sites online:

Adornametals Tran
The Eclectic Bohemian
Adornametals on Twitter

Lens of the Day: Storage Ideas for Narrow Hallways

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 04:57 AM PST

Fabulous New Lenses Week of Feb 17th

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 04:53 AM PST

Vacationing in Alaska ... and the Challenging Things I Did There

1. Vacationing in Alaska … and the Challenging Things I Did There

I would have never thought that I’d travel to Alaska, but I did in 2004. This was an incredible opportunity. My friend, Kay, and her husband were planning to go on a cruise to Alaska with Kay’s parents. About a month before they were to leave, a…

Stuffed Pita Pocket

2. Stuffed Pita Pocket

Stuffed Pita Sandwiches When it comes to making a sandwich one of my favorite breads to use is a pita. I like the fact that one can cut the pita in half and easily stuff the pocket with all kinds of healthy delicious veggies, egg salad, or tuna. Not just f…

I'm The "Oh Canada" Contributor on Squidoo

3. I’m The “Oh Canada” Contributor on Squidoo

Why become the Squidoo Contributor for ‘Oh Canada’? First, I am Canadian. Born in down town Toronto, grew up in and around Ontario but mainly in the town of Port Union (which became Scarborough, a suburb of Toronto). I have travelled across Canad…

DIY How to Make a Kids Play Tent

4. DIY How to Make a Kids Play Tent

Kids love being creative & play tents are Awesome for pretend play! Whether you are looking for a simple no sew solution or a full on crafty project you can find some cool ideas that you & the kids can build together. We have a bunch of different o…

Solar Powered Green Living

5. Solar Powered Green Living

Beam me up, Scotty! Oh wait, never mind. My solar powered laptop and Internet dish have already taken care of that. These words are riding on sunbeams. And me? Publishing this article is an act of writing photosynthesis. Living green is an organic process…

50 Spring Arts and Crafts for Adults

6. 50 Spring Arts and Crafts for Adults

Spring crafting is a real favorite of mine. At this time of year it is still cool enough for me to spend more time indoors making things but yet there is the definite promise of warmer days ahead to look forward to. In this season, with most of the major H…

Miyako Odori: My First Time at the Japanese Theater

7. Miyako Odori: My First Time at the Japanese Theater

When a friend of mine was too busy to visit Kyoto, she gave me her tickets to Miyako Odori. Although I’ve been to Kyoto a few times, I’ve never been to Miyako Odori. I’ve never even heard of it. The more she told me about it, the more fascin…

Best vacuum for around 50 dollars

8. Best vacuum for around 50 dollars

My house has the same big tile in every room, even in the bedrooms, so I have several area rugs of varying sizes and piles throughout the house. I had this giant vacuum cleaner that drove me crazy lugging it around to all the rooms, and it didn’t real…

The Baby Owner's Manual: The Best Geeky Baby Shower Gift Ever

9. The Baby Owner’s Manual: The Best Geeky Baby Shower Gift Ever

The Baby Owner’s Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on First- Year Maintenance, published by Quirk Books may look silly but inside, along with the quirky schematic diagrams, it’s filled with important tips and helpfu…

Homemade: Octopus Vindaye Recipe

10. Homemade: Octopus Vindaye Recipe

Image Credit: Myself Vindaye is very common in Mauritius and in fact, we can prepare it in both ways Non- Veg and Veg. The word ‘Vindaye’ is a Mauritian name given to a dish which includes the same spices as Pickles but we do add more ingredients…

Review of the Day: her- An Exceptional Love Story

Posted: 22 Feb 2014 04:51 AM PST

Facebook for Squidoo Lensmasters

Posted: 21 Feb 2014 09:47 AM PST

I’m starting off my series with a look at the biggest social network on the web, Facebook. The site’s just celebrated it’s 10th birthday and is more popular than ever – a recent survey by Pew Research found that  71% of online adults had a profile! Facebook’s enormous user base and global reach make it a valuable resource for lensmasters, no matter what your goals are.

Creating an online persona should be done with some thought. If you’re already using the same name on Squidoo as elsewhere around the web, it’s probably best to keep things consistent. If, like me, you’re using your real name on Squidoo, use the same name on Facebook.

Remember that if you have a relatively unique name, your Facebook page will most likely be in the first 5 Google results. If you have a more common name, you might be harder to find. You may want to use the same photo on both sites to make yourself easier to find.

Before you start networking and sharing, try subscribing to an interest list by typing a topic into the search bar at the top of the page. I suggest subjects you enjoy making lenses about, the people or ideas that inspire you or anything that gets you excited about creating. If you don’t see a list that suits you, make your own! Just type your interest and press the “create” button.

When you share a lens on Facebook, think about your audience – is what you’ve written about relevant to the lives of the people on your friends list? This goes for groups too. Facebook works hard to keep the feed interesting and relevant to its users  - use this to your advantage and post your lenses and updates about Squidoo only when you have something compelling to say.

Organize your friends into lists that reflect how interested they are in your lenses. If your close friends and family are on Squidoo too, that’s great! If they’re not, ask yourself if you think they would enjoy reading the lenses you’re thinking about sharing. If the content is relevant, go ahead and share. Not too often – wait until you have something big to share.

Avoid “over-sharing” – if you’re posting just for the sake of posting, you run the risk of having your posts hidden by other users. For every lens of your own you share, try to make at least 3 valuable contributions to your friends or the group you’re participating in. Contributions can be thoughtful comments, an answer to a question or just a friendly hello.

When you’re comfortable with exploring interest lists and sharing your content with the folks who will enjoy it, considering joining some of Facebook’s many groups. Check out the groups related to your hobbies and interests, especially if you have lenses on those topics. There are many Facebook groups set up by other Squidoo users – these are great places to get in touch with other lensmasters, discover new friends and share ideas and advice. Participate in the groups you join whenever you can and always be yourself. Just like Squidoo, Facebook groups ask that you be considerate of others so be sure that you follow the rules about posting your own lenses set up by each group. Drop knowledge, not links!

I hope I’ve given you some ideas about how to use Facebook to improve your experience on Squidoo. Remember to be kind and respectful wherever you go online. Protect your reputation by sharing your lenses instead of spamming them and protect your sanity – don’t feed the trolls!

If you haven’t already, come check out the official HQ page on Facebook – “like” the page and you can subscribe to get our posts in your feed!

How do you use Facebook to enhance your Squidoo experience? I’d love to hear your stories.

 
Photo Credit: Robert S. Donovan via Compfight cc
 

No comments:

Post a Comment