Friday, March 14, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


HugDug Public Beta

Posted: 14 Mar 2014 08:57 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 10.48.09 AM

Introducing HugDug

“In 2013, Corey, Gil and Seth were thinking about the impact that Squidoo has created. What we were the most proud of… It wasn't hard: We're thrilled at the schools that have been built, the animals that have been saved, the medical research that has gone on directly as a result of the generosity of our favorite Squidoo users.

Squidoo gives people a platform to share, to teach, to talk about what they care about. We wondered, though, what would happen if we streamlined it, focused it and created a new platform for a different sort of user?

Hugdug combines beauty, generosity and mobile in a new way.” -HugDug About Us Page

We’re pretty excited about this new site but realize that our current lensmasters may have a few questions. So I’ve put together a short Q & A.

What exactly is HugDug?

HugDug is a site for people who want to write reviews for charity. Simple as that.

Can I try HugDug?

Sure, you’re welcome to give it a whirl but keep a few things in mind. HugDug isn’t a place to promote or link to Squidoo. We’re not trying to interlink these two sites. Each site will run completely independently. We’re just announcing it here on HQ because we know that people are curious.

So yes, if you’re interested in writing an original review for a cool charity like Acumen or Room to Read try it out, we think you’ll love the format. However if you’re happy with what you’re doing here on Squidoo there’s no reason to leave. Many of the cool new features you see will be integrated back into Squidoo in the next few months. Plus, many of the people who write for HugDug may have different goals than Squidoo users. The number one goal on HugDug will be to generate money for charity.

HugDug? What’s with the name?

Aside form being super fun to say (and easy to remember) we wanted a name that gets people thinking about charity and giving and we think HugDug works pretty darn well.

Review of the Day: “Thinking, Fast and Slow” will make you think better

Posted: 14 Mar 2014 05:41 AM PDT

Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman cover from AmazonWhat’s on your mind? Thinking fast? Thinking slow? Ever wonder about your thought processes and how they work?

Here’s a book that will make you think differently, or so says its reviewer, new lensmaster john-tabernik.

Learn more about how we think when you check out John’s interesting Review of the Day, “Thinking, Fast and Slow” will make you think better.

Lens of the Day: Pi Day is March 14

Posted: 14 Mar 2014 05:36 AM PDT

9 Refreshing Recipes from What’s Cooking at Squidoo

Posted: 13 Mar 2014 04:14 PM PDT

Last week, the cooking crowd who participated in the What’s Cooking at Squidoo quest shared recipes that contain refreshing bits of fruit.

Here’s 9 of our favorites. Enjoy. Bookmark. Eat them later. Enjoy them again.

Jello Fruit Cocktail Dessert

1. Jello Fruit Cocktail Dessert

Desserts with fruit are refreshing and healthy. Especially this simple jello fruit dessert. It makes me think of summer too. It’s very easy to make. All you do is make the jello as directed on the package and then add fruit either canned or fresh. I m…

No-Sugar Gluten Free Low Carb Strawberry Cupcakes

2. No-Sugar Gluten Free Low Carb Strawberry Cupcakes

Anybody who knows me long enough, know how much I adore sweets of all kind. Not only do I love eating them, I also enjoy making them – from delicate cookies to cakes, I love them all. So it’s only natural that I try to eat healthy most of the time, or…

Raspberry Cornbread- Bursting with Fruit

3. Raspberry Cornbread- Bursting with Fruit

One of my favorite treats is a nice warm piece of cornbread oozing with butter. I decided to take this one step further using my favorite cornbread recipe and adding fresh raspberries. Then I thought, why not go over the top and add some yummy raspberry pr…

Whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread

4. Whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread

How did it take me this long to think of adding chocolate chips to my favorite whole wheat banana bread recipe? After all, I make it fairly often- a family favorite. We especially like it for an easy breakfast on the run. Usually, I make banana nut bread,…

Kiwi Fruit Salad

5. Kiwi Fruit Salad

Fruit salads are quick and easy to make. Most people tend to make them in the summer months when fruit is abundant, and less costly. During the off seasons use what is available to you. You don’t need more than two or three ingredients to make a healt…

Rasberry Blueberry Muffins with White Chocolate

6. Rasberry Blueberry Muffins with White Chocolate

These fruity muffins are a sweet delight for breakfast, an afternoon snack or anytime! Rasberries, blueberries, and melted white chocolate bits. Yum! I was looking for a recipe that would allow me to use up some frozen raspberries I had on hand, when I ran…

Tropical Fruit Oatmeal Squares

7. Tropical Fruit Oatmeal Squares

I was blessed with my cooking and baking skills from my mother as well as her artist traits in modifying recipes. I enjoy taking good recipes and hopefully they turn out better or unique. I’ve learned over the years you sometimes have to use what you…

Tantalizing Fruit and Yogurt Gluten Free Dessert Snack Recipe

8. Tantalizing Fruit and Yogurt Gluten Free Dessert Snack Recipe

My eating philosophy is simple. Whenever I eat something it must be delicious, healthy and leave me wanting more. This fruit and yogurt dessert snack recipe encapsulates my eating philosophy really well. I get to be indulgent without feeling guilty. How mu…

Raspberry, Mint and Orange Refresher

9. Raspberry, Mint and Orange Refresher

Forget the sodas and energy drinks, if you need a refreshing, energising drink, try a Raspberry, Mint and Orange Refresher. I make mine with frozen raspberries, which are very convenient, available all year round, and give a cool refreshing drink. If you u…

ibidii is the “Early American” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 13 Mar 2014 02:33 PM PDT

me2Today were pleased to introduce you to ibidii. She’s our “Early American” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
I love History and specifically Family History. I also love handy crafts and needlework. I try to read a book a week and listen to the Historical fiction as well as other books while I work on my needlework. I research the Family History from several websites online and add it all up on several Family Trees. I have over 20,000 names on the tree now at Ancestry.com. I work on the Family History at least 4 hours a day.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
I heard about my family roots from my Mom, and two Grandmothers. I loved to hear the stories. I got letters and photos from my Grandma Ethel about the ancestors. Mom wrote everything down and organized what she got from both the Grandmothers. I took classes and fell in love with it when I was in my 20′s. I have been into it since then for over 40 years.

Who had the most influence in your life?
I would say first my Grandmother Ethel Mae Hopkins Mifflin. I adored her and I saw her almost every day for the first 12 years of my life. I was close to her in my adult years. I wanted to be like her and make all the clothes and food from scratch. She was an excellent seamstress and cook.

You’ll also find ibidii at the following sites:

Butterfly of 4
Facebook
Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment