Thursday, March 20, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


Take Great Food Photos with your iPhone: Tips from Lensmaster Smine27

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 06:20 AM PDT

smine27If you’ve been lucky enough to come across any of lensmaster smine27′s recipe lenses, you already know he’s a talented food photographer but you might be surprised to learn that he uses his iPhone to take all of those stunning photos. We asked him to share some of his secrets and he courteously obliged us with some pretty awesome advice that you’re going to want to gobble up now and  bookmark as a resource for later.  Here’s what he had to say:

Preparation:
Getting great photos isn't as hard as you'd think. First, I take pictures with my iphone so expensive equipment isn't necessary. Also plate your food as beautifully as you can. If there are drips of gravy on the side of the plate, I make sure to wipe them off before doing anything else.

Lighting:
I make sure to get the best lighting possible. Although outside during the day is best, it's not always possible ( especially for dinner ). In this case, I choose the most lighted place in the apartment. I choose the best plate ( usually white ) for my food but I do try and vary my photos as much as possible so I mix it up.

Props:
I also like using props such as napkins, cutlery and real food. For example, I saved some strawberries to use as props for my strawberry cupcakes. I also have a small collection of "fake" flowers to use a decoration. It's all about balance and composition.

Editing and tweaking:
I take between 7-20 photos, a variety of shots from different angles. I then edit my photos if needed right on my Iphone using an app called Snapseed. It's very easy to use and can enhance your photos in a few seconds. Once I choose the photo I like,I get it onto my lens. However half the time, I find that once it goes onto my lens, it doesn't look as good as I thought it would. In that case, I either choose a different photo or on rare occasions, I retake a few more shots to get it just right.

A good way to improve:
Browsing through Pinterest and studying food photos is a good habit as they will give you ideas for your next food photo session.

These two lenses kind of show you what I go through with my photos.

matchaFor instance on my matcha cupcake lens, it shows different shots that I was experimenting with as well as the props I used.

Matcha Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting

With the experience I got with the matcha cupcakes, the photo for my strawberry cupcakes turned out better.

 

 

 

strawberryI put them into a basket I had lying around, used a fake flower prop and put them on a yellow paper napkin, which made the picture pop. The photo was taken on a glass table in my living room with bad lighting so I edited in Snapseed to enhance the photo.

No-Sugar Gluten Free Low Carb Strawberry Cupcakes

 

 

 

Be sure to stop by smine27′s bio page to see more of his terrific work and to thank him for sharing his secrets.

Find more helpful food photography tips HERE.

Our Giant Squid lensmasters are smart, creative and experienced in their craft. Stay tuned to HQ for more helpful interviews and advice to come from this super group.

Lens of the Day: 10 Vegetables to Grill on the Barbecue

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 05:25 AM PDT

barbequeHere in the states, spring has finally sprung.

Time to break out the grill and celebrate.

Start by reading today’s Lens of the Day, 10 Vegetables to Grill on the Barbecue by kiwinana71.

Happy Spring Everybody!

Review of the Day: Going Blonde

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 05:16 AM PDT

Join the Movie Club & the Music Club

Posted: 19 Mar 2014 04:53 PM PDT

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 7.29.28 PMThe Squidoo Movie Club – You’ll have the opportunity to review movies from all genres via quests. You’ll also get this cool “Hollywood Starlet Squid” trophy.

We’ll be sharing Movie Club lenses on Squidoo HQ.

To join send an e-mail to bonnie@squidoo.com with MOVIE CLUB in the subject line and your Squidoo User Name in the body.

May the Force be with you.

 

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 6.35.48 PM

The Squidoo Music Club - Rock on! We’re all about country, pop, jazz, international and hip hop and well just about any music you can think of. You’ll have the opportunity to review your favorite music via quests. You’ll also get our “Rock Star Squid” trophy.

And just like the Movie Club we’ll be sharing Music Club lenses on Squidoo HQ.

To join send an e-mail to bonnie@squidoo.com with MUSIC CLUB in the subject line and your Squidoo User Name in the body.

RockinPicks is the “Whimsical Garden” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 19 Mar 2014 10:59 AM PDT

dscn1323Today we’re happy to introduce you to RockinPicks. She’s our “Whimsical Garden” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
I have always been a fan of whimsical or magical gardens such as the garden in “Alice in Wonderland”. The sillier the better. Anything that said Secret Garden or Magic Garden caught my interest.

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
When I was very young my Cousin was the star of a 70′s TV show called “The Magic Garden”. I would try to build replicas of her set in my basement. When I had my own garden everywhere you looked there was something to make you smile from huge tortoises to a monkey in a tree. All my trees had faces.

Who had the most influence in your life?
My Grandmother was my biggest influence because I thought her garden was magic and even if I get stressed all I have to do is think about her yard and I go to a happy place. She had the most beautiful rose bushes and the ocean was directly in her yard.

You can also find RockinPicks making magic at the following places online:
RockinPick’s Whimsical Garden
Rockinpick’s Garden
Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment