Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Squidoo HQ

Squidoo HQ


8 Amazing Pet Review Lenses

Posted: 08 Apr 2014 07:47 AM PDT

If you’ve got pets, here’s 8 new pet product review lenses that you’ll want to see.

Each of these has been promoted to the new  Best of Squidoo Pets category.  Visit each of the following to see why.

Temptations:  The All Natural Cat Treat Your Pet Will Love

1. Temptations: The All Natural Cat Treat Your Pet Will Love

Have you ever seen a Temptations cat treat commercial? Typically the ad will show someone shaking a bag of treats, followed by a very excited cat running as fast as possible to get them. They might even leap tall buildings, or jump through a wall in their…

Stop Unwanted Behavior From Your Dog With The Press Of A Button!

2. Stop Unwanted Behavior From Your Dog With The Press Of A Button!

Don’t let this product’s simple packaging and design fool you. This is hands down one of the best products I have ever used when training my dogs. When we got a new puppy all of our dogs had some really bad habits that needed to be fixed. When th…

Best Dog Nail Trimmer for Small Hands and Big Dogs

3. Best Dog Nail Trimmer for Small Hands and Big Dogs

My old dog nail clippers finally got to a worn state where they had to be retired, after almost 12 years of service, so I shopped around a bit to find a new pair. My plan had been to find a good price on the Safari clippers I’ve always used, but I end…

Wellness for Small Breed Dogs

4. Wellness for Small Breed Dogs

I was always a large dog person until our oldest daughter decided she needed a toy poodle for her 4- H dog project. He was an amazing dog and changed my ‘large dogs only’ mentality forever. I wish I would have known about Wellness Small Breed Com…

Leashes for Two

5. Leashes for Two

Walking two dogs is not easy. Walking four is even more difficult! If you are walking more than one dog, you should get one of these leashes for two! When I had two dogs a few years back, I used to walk them on two separate leads. They got along fine, and…

The Best Dog Poop Bag Dispenser

6. The Best Dog Poop Bag Dispenser

This isn’t a glamorous topic or a product that anyone eagerly dreams about buying, but a poop bag dispenser is something every responsible dog owner needs. As everyone who has a dog knows, when you take a dog for a walk, they always get the urge to re…

Healthy Treats for Dogs

7. Healthy Treats for Dogs

My little Yorkie mix, LolaBelle, absolutely adores these Get Naked Super Antioxidant Dental Chew Sticks. You may be be familiar with LolaBelle from one of my previous lenses, Lola, A Human Trapped in a Dog’s Body, in which I discussed her anxiety issu…

KONG The Best Dog Toy I Have Ever Bought

8. KONG The Best Dog Toy I Have Ever Bought

It really is The Best Dog Toy I have ever bought my 3 large breed dogs. 5 years later they still love it and its still in one piece. An amazing accomplishment, since our dogs have gone through countless shoes, boots, beds, doors, clematis plants, rhododend…

Introducing john-tabernik

Posted: 08 Apr 2014 07:22 AM PDT

We’re reviving our Squidoo Debut series of interviews with RocketSquids who are making their presence known around Squidoo. We begin with john-tabernik who also happens to be the author of today’s Lens of the Day.

How did you find Squidoo? I have known about Squidoo for years because I have done some SEO and everyone mentions Squidoo as a great place to help grow your web presence by writing articles in your areas of expertise. But I had never really done anything with it until Bonnie Diczhazy sent out a request on Facebook for people to write a review. I knew Bonnie back when we were both in high school. She has also provided some good guidance and assistance when I have had questions or issues.

Of the lenses you’ve made so far, which is your favorite and why? I think my most recent lens on the iMac is my favorite. It allowed me to write about technology, which I enjoy quite a lot. I am an IT consultant, a job that I really enjoy, and writing anything about technology, especially trying to communicate potentially confusing ideas in terms that non-techies can understand, is always enjoyable for me. I also enjoyed writing this lens because I love being able to relate personal stories that I think can help others. Being able to lead people through my story of slowing adopting the Mac may convince others who were deeply embedded in the PC world, as I was, that the transition can be a smooth one. So being able to share a personal experience with others if it can help them is also something I enjoy.

What one tip would you give to a new lensmaster starting out? To a new lens master, I would tell them that often-repeated advice, write about what you know. But I would add a caveat as well—make sure it is something you are passionate about. A review can be an especially personal story. There may be things you both loved and hated about a product, movie, album—these are great things to share. Reviews that share the good and the bad of something set your expectations before you would get the product yourself—maybe then you are aware that there are shortcomings and you will not be disappointed. So the review gives a writer a great opportunity to tell their story of their experiences with the product.

Passion is a wonderful thing because it is contagious. If you really love something, do your best to describe it, and often the person reading your lens will get a glimpse of whatever it is that made you love it. Whether it is a review, a personal story, or a how-to, write about something that you can write about with passion. I think this really transforms a lens from commonplace to engaging!

You’ll find more from John when you visit his Lensmaster Page.

Lens of the Day: The iMac: the Best Computer with the Best Operating System

Posted: 08 Apr 2014 05:47 AM PDT

Jadelynx is the “Decoupage Diva” Contributor on Squidoo

Posted: 07 Apr 2014 11:41 AM PDT

dd_profileToday we’re happy to introduce you to jadelynx. She’s our “Decoupage Diva” Contributor on Squidoo.

Tell us a little bit about your niche topic.
Decoupage is simply cutting out paper and arranging the pieces on another flat surface, like a table or box lid, gluing them down and covering them with a sealant. This was very popular in the 70′s, and has recently made a huge comeback on all sorts of items. Crafters are using it to cover picture frames, table tops, and reusable gift boxes. It is a simple and fun hobby!

Tell us about the moment you fell in love with your topic. Was it an immediate thing or did it happen over time?
I re-fell in love with it about 2 years ago, after a brief flirtation in the mid 70′s. I thought it looked fun to do and I loved the projects, so I tried one and I was hooked!

Who had the most influence in your life?
My mother, who was an over the top talented seamstress. While I did not take after her choice of crafts, I have unending respect for how she never stopped trying to refine her skills, no matter how great her work was already. She was constantly trying new things, taking classes, and practicing, her whole life. She was an inspiration.

You’ll also find jadelynx at the following sites:
Homemade by Jade
Crafts & Sewing at Pinterest

5 Tips For Making The Best of Squidoo

Posted: 07 Apr 2014 10:55 AM PDT

Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 1.51.34 PMHappy Monday! Last week we announced our new Best of Squidoo project and we’ve got some tips to get your lenses on the lists. We’re adding both new format and traditional lenses to the lists so these tips apply to both.

We also added the Best of…lists to SquidooHQ as a tab  so that you can find lenses more easily. Each topic has a Top 100 list and subtopic Top 100 lists. For example if you look at Books on Squidoo you’ll see “Explore Topics” on the right hand sidebar. If you click on “Cookbooks” you get: The Best Cookbooks Pages on Squidoo.

First and foremost we’re looking for quality but here are 5 more tips to get your lenses noticed.

1) Check your lens for missing information – We’re seeing lenses with deleted YouTube videos and missing photos. Make sure that your lenses are updated.

2) Stay on topic – If your audience wants to read about “Green Pepper Recipes” give them recipes about green peppers. Veering too far off topic can make a lens too long and complicated.

3) Nix the add-ons – This is a big one. I’ve come across a bunch of lenses that I’d love to promote and they are awesome…except at the bottom of the lens I’ll find a section called “Blessed by these SquidAngels” or a mile long list of featured lenses. We’re looking for super clean lenses that stay focused.

The same goes for too many Zazzle or AllPoster links. Yesterday I found a fantastic lens but at the bottom it had 10 links to Zazzle products. Now don’t get me wrong we love Zazzle and reviewing one product or having a few nicely placed products is great, just don’t go overboard.

4) Remove CSS – We want Best of Squidoo lenses to have a clean feel and CSS can be really hard on the eyes. Your content is awesome without the bells and whistles.

5) Linking – Relevant linking in moderation is fine but links to junk domains, link farms or SquidDon’t sites is a problem.

Image Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment